Tips for comfort | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Tips for comfort Tips for comfort

Unread 06-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Tips for comfort

Hey ladies, let's post some practical tips for comfort here. I know there are some all over the board, but if we could put them here, it would help all of us

My tips are:

1. If your undies or pants are tight (due to swelly belly), try rolling up a wash cloth to put under the waistband. You'd think this would make it even tighter but it relieves some of the pressure from my waistbands. Some of my undies hit right at my belly button so instead of a washcloth, I cut the cuff from an old pillow case (that was silky) and folded it over.

2. Men's underwear. The elastic in the waistband is wider than our underwear. My hubby happened to have a new pair and the waist size from just right for me.

3. Now this is a DUH for me. Wear night gown or dress instead of pants. I've been wearing jammie pants or pants with elastic waist bands. As my tummy swells, OUCH. Just changed to a gown and it feels so much better.

Okay...let me hear some of your good, practical tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Re: Tips for comfort

When I was wearing the granny panties, I would roll the waist down to my hips for comfort. I bought them in a larger size for swelly belly.

Regular pillows are great, but small pillows are awesome! I'm still using small deco type pillows and 2 pillow pets regularly. They help support the small of your back while sitting up, protection for your tummy (I have a pillow & laptop on mine right now!), tummy side support while sleeping, and I place them under the seatbelt for car rides. They are less bulky then reg pillows. Of course I'm using reg pillows too, but the small ones are lifesavers...

Fruit smoothies are a great comfort for me. Have to have one everyday! I never really drank them pre-op, but have been craving them post-op. Delicious soothing treat!
Unread 06-17-2012, 11:34 AM

granny panties are the greatest (never thought I would change from bikini panties to granny panties but they rock !!!). I got them two sizes larger and love them under my jammies...

taking showers is also one of my best comforts...I try to take two a day (one before going to bed to refresh me) and a cup of chamomile tea for soothing and relaxation. I bought this lavender spray for the bed linens and I spray it to prepare my sleeping haven every night.

Hope these tips work...they did for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2012, 07:58 PM

Scrub pants! I live in them.. Them pre-op due to size but find them so comfortable post-op since they have no waistband. When swelly belly hits, I just untie them.

Sleeping with pillows under the knees helps keep the pulling pressure off my TAH incision.
Unread 06-18-2012, 07:37 PM

1. SPARK energy drink from Advocare- can buy it online. Full of B vitamins.
2. Sobakawa pillow $9 at Walmart (in "As Seen on TV" section) to put on your tummy. It is made with some kind of bean that keeps cool :-).
3. get a nightgown with pockets- very handy.
Unread 06-18-2012, 07:50 PM

Get yourself one of those grabber type sticks for reaching items especially on the floor.
A soft cold pack that can go back in the fridge when not in use. Put on your tummy to ease pain.
Lightweight nighties and cotton granny panties at night. There is a great website called Woman Within that sells large loose clothes, sundresses, etc., ideal for coming home in and wearing around the house.
Set up a tray table next to your favorite chair with tissue, crossword puzzles, snacks, TV remote so you don't have to move around to much.
Unread 06-18-2012, 09:16 PM

Ohhhh... I want that Sobakawa pillow!!
Unread 06-18-2012, 10:30 PM

I bought all cotton low rise bikini panties in a size larger than I normally wear and that was all I could wear for 6 whole weeks. I had DVH, so I needed something to sit below all of my incisions.

Also, lotion...lots of lotion. My skin has been dry and tight since surgery.
Unread 06-19-2012, 03:16 AM

A small pillow behind your knees when sleeping on your back, helps keep you comfy and stretches your belly scar less. Agree with giant pants as well
Unread 06-19-2012, 06:16 AM

Pregnancy panties. They have a wide waistband, a very loose and soft stretchy fabric, and they come up above the navel. They have are cut to allow for a belly and were the most comfortable underwear I could wear post-op.

And it may sound ridiculously silly, but a straw. I was so parched post-op and drank sooo much water. It was easier to drink without having to proper myself up every time I wanted a sip.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register