FYI - don't do this | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

FYI - don't do this FYI - don't do this

Unread 03-25-2006, 09:57 AM
FYI - don't do this

I meant to post this a week ago...

See, the thing that has been hurting me the most is my back. Now, the dr said to get exercise but not to do stairs and I live in Michigan. Well, I don't know where I was supposed to get the exercise - it was freezing outside and I have a bungalow. There is nowhere to walk in my house unless I go in a four foot circle but i was dizzy enough, thank you very much. So my dh took me to his parents house for a couple hours. Their floorplan at least allowed me to not get dizzy walking ten feet. Long story short, the only chair I could sit in without hurting my back was their lazyboy.

Since I had not one comfortable seat in my house and I was sick and tired of the bed my dh took me to the lazyboy store. Well, let me tell you about those things. You can't get out of 'em. I mean, it's slightly embarassing to get in a chair and try to heave-** yourself out of it. These are great chairs but the new ones, they don't have a lever to push down to put the foot rest down. You have to use your stomach mucles, yes you heard right, your stomach muscles. Well needless to say, after a hysterectomy, your body is screaming "what in the **** do you think you're doing? You think you can just wave a wand and I'm supposed to just compensate for all these incisions and make your muscles magically re-appear?" Well, my body didn't and actually told me off for it. It hurt sooooo bad. Here was my husband pulling me out of all these chairs, because of course I had to try them all - I went through all that pain and I wasn't leaving without a brand new chair - and the sales woman following me closing them all up.

The morale of the story is...get a great chair to sit in but take some pain pills, a nice belly band or something similar, and leave your vanity at home becaue it is apparently a 3 person job. : )

Have fun ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2006, 10:04 AM
FYI - don't do this

i have not laughed so hard in years! thank you ilovedogs! i have a barcolounger, same story. oh my gosh! are you selling videos of that trip to the store? heather
Unread 03-25-2006, 12:29 PM
FYI - don't do this

Ilovedogs thanks for that. I have needed a really good laugh. I have a very comfy chair, but it has the handle to put the leg rest down. I couldn't imagine trying to do it without the handle.
Cathey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2006, 12:55 PM
FYI - don't do this

LOL, i had a slightly similar experience. hubby, kids and i went searching for a living room set. i too had to try them all, my tummy was throbbing every 3 feet of searching for that perfect set. i avoided the recliners because i knew i wouldn't of gotten out of them as easy as the couches and my son's help. he would just automatically reach out his hand and boost me out. the sales people were looking at us quite oddly too. i had to tell one of them i'm recooperating from surgery.

the couch i have/had is very uncomfortable..so i can relate...i took a couple of pillows (you know the ones you surround yourself with when you are in bed so you can sleep on your side) and put them on so i can support my lower back. sheesh the back pain the first couple of days was bad.

sorry didn't mean to write a book....

AnnRuthie
Unread 03-25-2006, 01:03 PM
FYI - don't do this

I have a couch with dual recliners.. and when I got in it, I couldn't get out... I kind of rolled like a worm on the floor... to the middle of the couch, so I could get out... Too funny! I know exactly what you are talking about

Twizz
Unread 03-25-2006, 01:51 PM
FYI - don't do this

i think i am going to wet my pants! ...like a worm??? priceless!
Unread 03-25-2006, 02:32 PM
FYI - don't do this

Its funny the things we find amusing while suffering with the pains of hysterectomies. I loved all the stories, about everyones mishaps. I too
went shopping for a new sectional sofa, they delivered it a week post op and I just loved it,, its satiny in a way and very slippery which I found out first hand when my grandchildren came to visit, my youngest decided he wanted to sit right next to me since he couldnt sit on my lap, and you know how wiggly they are any way, well that cushion shot out like a rocket and away we went, we hit the floor. I am just thankful that the cushion went along for the ride and remained beneath us. At first I sat there stunned, then looked to him to make sure he was alright, which was a mistake, for he was up and jumping, mischief in his eyes, looked at me and says awesome ride nana, can we do it again... He is three years old
Unread 03-25-2006, 03:46 PM
FYI - don't do this

I don't know what is making me laugh more, the recliner story or picturing Cindy flying off the sofa with her grandson! But, this is why I am keeping my ugly old blue recliner until I am completely healed because I can get in and out of it easily.
Unread 03-25-2006, 04:04 PM
FYI - don't do this

Boy, you gals sure make me glad we purchased an older, used recliner with the handy little handle just before my surgery instead of a new one. Thanks for the laugh!
Unread 03-25-2006, 09:14 PM
FYI - don't do this

My old recliner with the handle has been a lifesaver. I added some back & seat cushions for comfort. Getting up is still a challenge sometimes. I wish it was a little higher or something. Wish I had one of those electric lift chairs that lift you to a sitting position. I'm sure insurance won't pay for it. lol They don't rock either. What am I saying? ROCK? Must be the pain meds. lol I just want my feet up, pillow on my stomach so I can put laptop on my tummy and remote on my boobs. lol Oh, & 54oz Bubba Keg full of ice water on the table. I'm set until the next potty break.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register