Supracervical Hysterectomy or Myomectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Supracervical Hysterectomy or Myomectomy Supracervical Hysterectomy or Myomectomy

Unread 01-07-2014, 01:22 PM
Supracervical Hysterectomy or Myomectomy

I just got back from visiting a GREAT doc

I feel SO much better. We won't talk about how bad the first place..but used car salesmen have more tact..anyway...I went to a highly recommended and loved doc and now I feel much more peace.

I have a large fibroid (fibroid/uterus combo is about a canteloupe size) that has got to go as it is threatening the kidneys and I am straight up tired of looking five months preggo.

The surgeon has the skill to do both myomectomy or supracervial hysterectomy laproscopically with the same recovery time. I would need an MRI for the myomectomy just to make sure the fibroid is not attached in such a way half the uterus is fibroid.

I am leaning toward the supracervical hysterectomy. Although she can do both...she did say that there is more chance of complications with the myomectomy with and if the fibroid is attached solidly to the uterus.

I was VERY against hysterectomy until she explained everything to me. This doc did not push..in fact would not let me schedule surgery until I have had 24 hours to think about it. ..she said she did not want me to make a decision on the fly.

I am going to look more through the boards but it sure seems people feel much better after getting fibroids out..even after hyst. The recovery is 2 weeks and I would do it third week of February.

Thoughts, Support..ideas..experience all is welcome

Hugs sisters!
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2014, 02:24 PM
Re: Supracervical Hysterectomy or Myomectomy

I think that is an optimistic recovery for either surgery. Everyone recovers at their own pace. Good luck in whatever you decide!
Unread 01-07-2014, 07:26 PM
Re: Supracervical Hysterectomy or Myomectomy

I was in your shoes about 4 years ago. I had a 13 cm Fibroid in my uterus, and it was wreaking havock on my body, causing such heavy periods - I was unable to leave the house at times. I considered Myomectomy, and Supracervical Hysterectomy. I was leaning toward the hysterectomy early on. My mom had had a long history with Fibroids, and I really didn't want them to come back.

Once I felt good about the decision to go with the hysterectomy - I really wanted it done laparoscopically. First surgeon recommended abdominal surgery cause the fibroid was to big, but the second one said she could do it.

I had my surgery December 2009. It wasn't a cakewalk. The pain after even the laparoscopic procedure was pretty intense - but within a few weeks I was starting to get back into the swing of things....but it took time. I was sore, and slow, and EXHAUSTED!! But make no doubt about it - it was a BIG deal.

Once I was recovered, it had been the best decision for me! No more periods, pain, bloating, sex was fine, all was good.

About 1 year ago, I started having some strange pelvic pain, and rectal pain, severe constipation...things just didn't feel right. To make a very LONG story short - I went through another surgery this past July to remove a 7 cm tumor in my pelvic cavity. It was diagnosed by MRI and CT Scan, but nobody knew what it was. Once they got in there - they determined it was a **** fibroid. It was adhered to my bowel at the anal junction, and couldn't be removed without removing my bowel which would have left my with a colostomy. VERY UNUSUAL, I don't have a uterus and this thing was just growing in the Cul De Sac.

I am now on Lupron to shrink this thing - and it has worked quite well, shrinking the Fibroid quite significantly I might add, but my health has been altered in a way that can never be reversed.

It is most likely because when you have a laparascopic procedure to remove these things they have to morcilate (chop up) the Fibroid to get it out through the small holes that the make in your abdomen. Well - in very rare cases the "seeds" can spread and grow elsewhere. It is rare

I hesitated to share my experience because I don't want to scare you. I don't know if my situation was just a fluke, or if the surgeon didn't flush the pelvic cavity enough or what. I also wonder if these situations will be more prevalent as more and more people get these Fibroids out via laparascopy - and there are more long term studies.

If I had to do it again, I would have done it abdominally.
Best of luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register