scared to death and no idea what to pack - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

scared to death and no idea what to pack scared to death and no idea what to pack

Unread 11-29-2004, 05:53 AM
scared to death and no idea what to pack

I'd like to suggest your own water bottle(s) too - I was only in the 1 night, but the nurses were very busy - I was grateful for the extra bedside water supply!
lip balm was terrific!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2004, 12:31 PM

Thanks for all of the great info! I was just thinking about what I needed to bring and poof, there you were. My surgery is one week from today and I'm trying to figure out everything that needs to get done beforehand. This really helped make me less nuts. Otherwise, I've been feeling like a dog chasing its tail...I'm running in circles and accomplishing NOTHING.
Unread 11-29-2004, 09:04 PM

Thanks for all the good suggestions for the stay! I also will be having surgery on the 7th of Dec and don't know where to start. I normally run circles around everyone, now all I'm doing is running circles!!! I am having what my Dr calls is a TLH. I don't see any reference to it on this site. I am a little confused about it. It seems that it isn't very serious and I feel like I'm over reacting getting things ready around the house. I have had 3 C-sections and 4 miscarraiges in the past 12 years. Was back to work in less than 2 weeks, so my family doesn't take surgery very serious! I feel a little guilty thinking I will need any help. Has anyone had a TLH removing cervix and leaving ovaries? How did you fare!

Robin
Unread 12-03-2004, 11:46 AM

To add to that, slippers are good. My hospital gave me non-skid socks but they may be too hard for some people to put on soon after the operation.
A robe is a definite. They want you to start walking around the 2nd day and I don't trust the hospital gowns!
My actual best friend at the hospital was my portable cd player. I could put it on to tune out noises during the day like when my roommates' had visitors and I could use the headphone in the TV jack (the TVs were on arms that were near the beads) and not disturb anyone else.
The other thing I would recommend, just in case, are earplugs. My roommate slept about 75% of the time and was quite the snorer (imagine a train 10 feet in front of you). My friend got me "SUPER LEIGHT" foam earplugs. Probably from Home Depot for a couple of dollars.

Also, I made sure I had some items that would help me with constipation and gas (like Gas-X) for when I got home.

Good luck! I feel pretty good (still some gas in the a.m.) I just had my 2 week appt. and the doctor said I was good to go and no further followup was needed. I think some of it due to making myself walk for a couple minutes about 3 or 4 times a day in the hospital.
Unread 12-03-2004, 04:03 PM

Lip Balm will be your best buddy the day after. That goofy tube they put in your mouth during surgery I swear ***** every drop of moisture from your body and your lips feel lousy! I went through 1/2 a tube of Carmex the first 2 days afterwards!
Unread 12-04-2004, 02:38 AM

I took all you'lls advise about that carmex lip balm, bought 2 and my sons have offed with them already.. Will head back out for more!!! This time I'm hiding them!!! I'm already thirsty from the surgery and it's not until Tuesday!!!!

Robin
Unread 12-04-2004, 09:58 AM

What I found was real helpful was being able to call home and have someone bring me what I needed. I ignored the advice about lip balm because my lips never get chapped. Wrong! Had to have my mother bring that. I figured I could make it home in my fat(ter) jeans with the super stretchy top. Wrong! I ended up having a catheter in for ten days, and had to have DH bring me a pair of sweat pants.

If you bring any reading material to the hospital, make sure it has pictures. I love to read, but it was a couple weeks before I could make sense out of books with an actual plot. Also, if you expect the doctor to visit you at a particular time you may want to arrange to have a friend or family member there. My doctor came into my room to check me over and answer questions. He might as well have been speaking another language because I couldn't figure out what he was talking about.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register