People don't get it do they? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

People don't get it do they? People don't get it do they?

Unread 08-13-2008, 06:19 PM
People don't get it do they?

Hello I'm 30 and having a TAH begginging of October. Why don't other people realise how big this operation is for me? They refer to it as if I'm going in for an appendectomy. If I discuss with my husband my feelings about it and any reservations I have to do with it he tells me if I'm not certain to cancel the surgery. Why can't people understand that in my own way I'm grieving for my uterus and everything that goes with that. My sister had a baby last week and won't let me go and see her and Ash because she thinks that it would be too painful for me.....since when did needing a hysterectomy mean I can't make my own decisions??? I know I need the op due to bleeding since December and yes other things have been tried only to discover that my uterus had a whole pile of polyps in it. So yes I will be having the surgery I just wish people would use their brain instead of thinking I can't use mine.

Fairyjane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2008, 06:49 PM

Sorry to hear what you are going thru. I am only 31 but i already have a child who's 12 plus I didn't want anymore. My friends and co-workers really dont understand why I am having a TVH. I just tell them cause I want to and leave it at that. I figure its not their business why I am having one. As far as your sister goes I would just show up at her house. I love babies but doesn't mean its going to change my mind. You dont have a hysterectomy b/c you want one you have one b/c you need one.

Good luck.
Unread 08-13-2008, 07:11 PM

Fairyjane - I am 34 and had my TAH 3 weeks ago and your right - People do not understand.

As a society a lot of operations that used to keep you in the hospital for days on end you are out the next day - I had an appendectomy when I was 12, 22 yrs ago and I was in hospital for 7 days my niece had hers out and she was good to go the next day. People in general think surgery is no big deal now. It is a shame that some insurance companies still consider this an elective surgery in some ways and jumping through so many hoops to have the "permission" to get it done.

This surgery is different no matter how you have it done - Lets give your love ones the benefit of the doubt for a second - how much do they understand what the operation really entails, what you are going through now and it will consume so much of your time throughout life if you do not take care of it. Getting to have them realize this is something you need will be hard - I bought my DH to talk to the DR and had him on this site looking at the Myster Hyster Sister under the support tab. He knew how much pain I was in however this really bought it home - during recovery he has been a saint.

My BF had a baby 2 weeks prior to my TAH and she felt the same as your sis however I simply let her know if I wanted to have another child myself there are so many in the world that need a good home and I am 100% good with the intelligent decision I made for a better future for me.

Sorry for the long dissertation however it does help to have your family "understand" prior to- however remember yourself if you really need to have this done to be better than dont let anyone talk you out of it you will be amazed at how much better you will feel.

Best of luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register