question & worry about sex after a TVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

question & worry about sex after a TVH question & worry about sex after a TVH

Unread 04-27-2010, 06:22 PM
question & worry about sex after a TVH

I am scheduled for a TVH on May 4th. I have been doing ok about the nerves, until the last couple days. I am really worried about them making my vagina shorter. I know with a TVH that it will be a little shorter, my doctor says not too worry, that I won't notice the difference. But the problem I am having is, my boyfriend is rather on the large size & I am so worried that after the surgery when I get to resume sex that my vagina is going to be shortened too much & that sex will be painful. I am afraid he will "hit the end". So I guess I was wondering for those that have had a TVH, can you notice the difference in the vagina, does it hurt if the guy is hitting the end, if he hits the end. I am sorry if this offending anyone, but this is really the only part that is making me really nervous about the surgery. I just feel like things are never going to be the same again. I am so nervous about the possibilty of living with painful sex the rest of my life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Re: question & worry about sex after a TVH

I waited until I was 8 weeks post hysterectomy before resuming relations (had my TVH on Dec 18 and waited until Valentines Day)...everything went well and I haven't had any problems since.

With that, I will say it is in your best interest to take things slowly, be in a position where you can control the penetration, and lubrication is a good idea. Things will be tighter and shorter, but you will stretch out again. They also make dialators that will help stretch you before you resume sexual relations.

Make sure to wait for your doctor's ok though...after that, relax and enjoy!!
Unread 04-27-2010, 08:16 PM

I had my TVH 6 years ago and there have been no problems for me or my DH with intimacy. The interesting thing to remember is that the average vagina is about 3 inches long and has the ability to relax and elongate during arousal. It is true that a hysterectomy may shorten the vagina slightly, but the vagina can hold a tampon or pass a baby, so there shouldn't be any issues even with a well-endowed partner.

Best wishes!

Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2010, 08:25 PM

I haven't had any issues of being shorter or tighter although I worried about both. Definitely no pain. The shortness possibility really was a big concern for me, too, so I was watching for any sign of that. But all is fine, I can't tell any difference that way. And I had an easy recovery from my TVH, hope you will, too.
Unread 04-28-2010, 06:39 PM

Thank you for the replies, it is nice to know that it should not be a problem. I know the doctor had told me that, but it is nice to hear it from someone who has actually gone through it. I am just a worry wart I guess. Again, thank you for the replies.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register