TLH 3+ weeks post hysterectomy: No rest for the wicked... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3+ weeks post hysterectomy: No rest for the wicked... 3+ weeks post hysterectomy: No rest for the wicked...

Unread 06-04-2016, 05:14 PM
3+ weeks post hysterectomy: No rest for the wicked...

Hello...I am new to this forum. I hope all is well.
I am 20 days (give or take) post op. I evicted everything but my ovaries. Had a Davinci assisted hysterectomy due to endometriosis . I am doing fine as far as pain and healing. My problem is that I cannot sleep nor stay asleep. I have tried Ambien, Melatonin, zzzquil and wine. Nothing helps. It's like my body won't shut down. I went to the store today and purchased some essential oils for balance and relaxation. However, I saw a bottle of Vitex berry organic drops. I was so very curious so I bought it. I do have high blood pressure as well and read somewhere that this may increase it?? Anyone have any good or bad experience with this supplement? I have some mood swings along with the insomnia. I am sure my ovaries are in shock...I am at a loss. This no sleep thing is not healthy. Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2016, 06:10 PM
Re: No rest for the wicked...

I have not Vitex berry drop... But it is hormones that are keeping you awake, I was having the same problem and it does get better, I think it was by 6 week that I was at my best. You can try Lavender oil in a defuser and if see if that well help. There are many wonderful woman on here and i'm sure you will get lots of advise.
Wishing you lots of sleep!
Unread 06-04-2016, 06:57 PM

Sweetpea2u Thank you!!! I am working on 2-3 hours of sleep a night for the past 2 weeks. I also went back to work at 2 weeks post op. Ugh. I did buy a diffuser tonight with some ylang ylang and lavender...fingers crossed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennjennnlr View Post
Hello...I am new to this forum. I hope all is well.
I am 20 days (give or take) post op. I evicted everything but my ovaries. Had a Davinci assisted hysterectomy due to endometriosis . I am doing fine as far as pain and healing. My problem is that I cannot sleep nor stay asleep. I have tried Ambien, Melatonin, zzzquil and wine. Nothing helps. It's like my body won't shut down. I went to the store today and purchased some essential oils for balance and relaxation. However, I saw a bottle of Vitex berry organic drops. I was so very curious so I bought it. I do have high blood pressure as well and read somewhere that this may increase it?? Anyone have any good or bad experience with this supplement? I have some mood swings along with the insomnia. I am sure my ovaries are in shock...I am at a loss. This no sleep thing is not healthy. Please help.
Bummer! While I can't offer any feedback on essential oils, there are some things I've done to help me sleep: warm milk and honey (some say there's no reason that should work, but it relaxes me), listen to my "mellow" play list, read something mindless or a book of short stories (like the Chicken Soup series - something you can put down without getting involved in an exciting plot), adding a little white noise (low frequency & low volume so it doesn't agitate), fresh sheets. If my teen daughter is still awake with her light on I'll throw a hand towel over my eyes.

There's one other sleep aid since melatonin and Ambien didn't work for you. Nytol and Sominex have the same active ingredient as in cold meds & night time headache pills - the antihistamine diphenhydramine. Might leave you groggy in the morning, but I know how it is when you just want something to work.

Hope some of this is useful... Sweet dreams!
Unread 06-04-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cussette View Post
Bummer! While I can't offer any feedback on essential oils, there are some things I've done to help me sleep: warm milk and honey (some say there's no reason that should work, but it relaxes me), listen to my "mellow" play list, read something mindless or a book of short stories (like the Chicken Soup series - something you can put down without getting involved in an exciting plot), adding a little white noise (low frequency & low volume so it doesn't agitate), fresh sheets. If my teen daughter is still awake with her light on I'll throw a hand towel over my eyes.

There's one other sleep aid since melatonin and Ambien didn't work for you. Nytol and Sominex have the same active ingredient as in cold meds & night time headache pills - the antihistamine diphenhydramine. Might leave you groggy in the morning, but I know how it is when you just want something to work.

Hope some of this is useful... Sweet dreams!
I appreciate your feedback! I will try the warm milk for sure! Unfortunately, my Body doesn't react too well with diphenhydramine...I took that zzzquil (which that is all it is) and it had me in a full restless leg and arm syndrome attack. It was awful! I will be 4 weeks on Wednesday and have my post op on Tuesday. I will also ask my OBGYN why he recommends. I like the natural medicine for sure...maybe bio identicals will help.
Unread 06-05-2016, 04:34 AM

With your high blood pressure, I would recommend checking with your doctor or pharmacist before taking any medications or supplements for sleep, to ensure you won't have a dangerous reaction to them. I would also recommend against using any type of alcohol as a sleep aid, because it can actually disrupt your sleep later in the night, not to mention that it could interact with your blood pressure medication. What I would recommend is a 6 hour caffeine curfew, and a 1 hour electronics curfew; they're both stimulants that can mess up your sleep cycles. Also check your medications for artificial colours, which can also act as a stimulant, but don't stop taking a prescribed medication without talking to your doctor. Also take a walk outdoors, because exposure to sunlight can help to regulate your sleep cycles. Also keep your bedroom temperature around 60-65 degrees, which stimulates melatonin production, enabling a deeper, more restful sleep. Sweet dreams, and best wishes for your continued recovery,
Unread 06-05-2016, 07:22 AM

Last night I was desperate for sleep so I took black cohosh 2 store brand benadryl like and a full pill of my generic for ambien finally got uninterrupted sleep first I have had in a long time
Unread 06-05-2016, 07:59 AM
Re: 3+ weeks post hysterectomy: No rest for the wicked...

Like you I had davinci hysterectomy (everything went including both ovaries) and have had an awful time staying asleep as well. I have no problem falling asleep but I wake up every 60 to 90 minutes. The Melatonin helped with the anxiety I was feeling upon waking but not with staying asleep. I took Benadryl which did help me get 4 hours sleep last week but I tried it again last night and it was a no go. It's very strange because I'm tired and can fall asleep but like a Jack In The Box I pop right awake after about an hour and then I usually fall back asleep within 5 minutes and then BAM I'm awake again.
Have you tried the time released Melatonin or the sublingual Melatonin? I only ask because the Sub Mel did make me very tired and quick to fall asleep but it did not help with the staying asleep. I've never heard of the vitex berries but hopefully it will help you.

Please keep coming back and let us know how you are doing. HysterSisters like SweetPea2U give me hope that this insomnia will pass but if it does not then it may be time to talk with Doc about HRT.
Unread 06-05-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_Eye View Post
With your high blood pressure, I would recommend checking with your doctor or pharmacist before taking any medications or supplements for sleep, to ensure you won't have a dangerous reaction to them. I would also recommend against using any type of alcohol as a sleep aid, because it can actually disrupt your sleep later in the night, not to mention that it could interact with your blood pressure medication. What I would recommend is a 6 hour caffeine curfew, and a 1 hour electronics curfew; they're both stimulants that can mess up your sleep cycles. Also check your medications for artificial colours, which can also act as a stimulant, but don't stop taking a prescribed medication without talking to your doctor. Also take a walk outdoors, because exposure to sunlight can help to regulate your sleep cycles. Also keep your bedroom temperature around 60-65 degrees, which stimulates melatonin production, enabling a deeper, more restful sleep. Sweet dreams, and best wishes for your continued recovery,
All of the above have been tried...trust me, I am determined to find some sleep! I thank you for the feedback though.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register