surprise findings like adhesions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surprise findings like adhesions surprise findings like adhesions

Unread 08-13-2008, 12:56 PM
surprise findings like adhesions

I'm scheduled for a TAH friday the 22. I have a large fibroid. My ovaries look fine. Only reason for hyster is the fibroid. I don't even know its there. How many of you ladies went in for a simple uterus removal and the doctor found surprises? I'm becoming worried about adhesions or unseen bladder or pelvic floor issues that didnt show up on any ultrasounds. I go to pre-op in a few days so maybe I will ask then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2008, 04:10 PM

I was told I have a fibroid but that if my doc finds adhesions and they are too difficult to remove he will have to cut. I have IC already so I am worried that nothing more happens to my bladder. I am also getting a cystoscopy while he's "in the area" to help that problem. Considering I had a shoulder surgery at the beginning of the year and the bone spur that was causing all the problems didn't even show up on my MRI who knows what I should expect.
Unread 08-13-2008, 05:22 PM

When I spoke with my doctor the other day, he said that his standard consent form states what our plan is and what he will do, but there is a disclaimer that if he finds something unexpected, he will make the call as to what to do.

For example, I am having an LSH and keeping my cervix and ovaries. If he gets in there and my cervix doesn't look good to him in his judgement, he will take it out too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2008, 08:06 PM

My Dr. expected some possible Adenomyosis and maybe adhesions and 1 1/2 hour surgery. 3 1/2 surgical hours later, she described to my family that I had been "packed full" of endometriosis - all over everything, and that my bowels were "plastered together" along with other stuff. Needless to say, she took everything and explained that with the severity of my condition, she would have just ended up going back in to take more out later if she hadn't. She had told me before that she would get in and look around and that she would have to do what she thought was best for me once she say what we were dealing with...so I had been warned that everthing could go. She was shocked at how severe my endo was...and said to expect a more difficult recovery than we expected. I started on hormones and started recovery. Now, 2 weeks and 1 day later, I feel better than I have in years. I went back to work today for a meeting and am returning to full time on Monday. I am so thankful that I fought to get the doctor's to listen to me and that I found a surgeon/Gyn who also listened, trusted me on how bad I felt and did what was needed to take care of my problem. I am so thankful for this surgery...I can't even it express it. It's like someone finally has given me my life back and I feel totally like myself again.

Blessings and Good Luck
Tank

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register