Questions - embolization instead of hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions - embolization instead of hysterectomy? Questions - embolization instead of hysterectomy?

Unread 06-23-2015, 09:26 AM
Questions - embolization instead of hysterectomy?

Hello all my hysterectomy sisters I am having a bad day as I thought today would be the start of a new life , I had my consult for my hysterectomy today and he suggested a uterine fibroid embolization instead because of the number of abdominal surgeries and risk factors I have , he said he will do it if I cannot have the embolization but wants me to go this route first , however I have had 2 previous uterine ablations that did not work and I have the summer off until August 20th , if I have the embolization and it doesn't work and I read that it can increase the cramps also possible then I still need to go for a embolization and wouldn't be free until December which would stink due to the holidays and my brother retiring from the Air Force , if anyone has had an embolization could you please comment to me and tell me if it worked and how are your periods now , please please please , my appointment for consult with interventional radiologist is Monday , June 29th 2015 at 9 am and I need some information to read and discuss about this , very nervous as I just wanted my hysterectomy and feel defeated even though he is doing this for my safety . Thanks Everyone Jamie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2015, 04:16 PM
Re: Questions - embolization instead of hysterectomy?

I had embolization for my fibroids and I could not be happier.
It's been almost two years and ALL of my symptoms are gone.
While it sounds scary it is simple and easy. The drugs are great and I don't remember being in pain.
I never had any heavy bleeding again after the procedure. I only need a pantilner for them now.
Good luck with your appt. with your radiologist.
Unread 06-25-2015, 11:38 AM
Re: Questions - embolization instead of hysterectomy?

I had UAE/UFE in December 2010. Super easy procedure and recovery. The worst thing for me immediately after the procedure (while I was still in the hospital) was nausea, not pain. I definitely took the pain meds they gave me in the hospital, but did not need to take any the next day when I was released. But some people have significant pain for a couple of days, so everyone is different. Definitely take the pain meds home just in case you need them. I was back to work in about 3 days (desk job).

I was also SUPER constipated after the procedure, but that is common too (I think it is either the anesthesia or pain meds that cause the constiptation). Definitely eat very light, maybe only veggies and fruit or juice the few days leading up to the procedure so you don't have a giant steak in your digestive system waiting to get stopped up.

After the UAE/UFE in 2010, my first period was really heavy (which was normal) and then they started to get a lot lighter. It was about a year before new fibroids began to grow again and I had a myomectomy in 2013. Again, great results and much shorter/lighter periods. Unfortunately now this year new fibroids have grown again and I'm scheduled for a repeat UAE/UFE. From what my Interventional Radiologist said, about 90% of women never need another intervention after UAE/UFE. However, I'm in the 10% of people it didn't work so well for. Doc said usually that is because either the uterine arteries grew new branches to supply the new fibroids or the ovarian arteries are supplying the fibroids. Both are rare. I'm having a pelvic angiogram first and if it shows promising, they will do a repeat UAE/UFE.

Stanford Fibroid Center (part of Stanford University Medical Center) has a terrific web site with a very long, detailed video on UAE/UFE. I found it very informative. You should be able to find it by Googling, but if not, message me privately and I will share (I do not think we are allowed to post links).

Good luck! I think you will be happy if you try UAE/UFE first. It is much safer than hysterectomy or myomectomy, and extremely short recovery. You can always have a hysterectomy later if needed, but at least you tried something less invasive first. I think your doctor is really looking out for you to suggest a less invasive treatment first.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register