surgeon search | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgeon search surgeon search

Unread 01-06-2006, 12:23 PM
surgeon search

Hi, I'm new here and kinda getting lost in this maze. I've had a dnc and hysterscope with polyp removal on September 1, 2005. All was benign, but they did find complex hyperplasia with no atypia. I had another dnc December 15, 2005. I have PCOS and have had complex hyperplasia with atypia 25 years ago. Because of that I take provera 10 out of each month to have a period. The doctor said they needed to do another biopsy on me without the hormones to insure no atypia. They found no atypia and no hyperplasia, but some indications that the conditions were ripe for it to reoccur. I'm 50 now with no signs of menopause. My doctor recommends a hysterectomy and seems to think I'm a candiate for the supracervical. I think it is a good idea, but my doctor has only done one of these. I really like her alot, but wish she had more experience. I haven't set a date and am considering how to find someone with more experience. In the town I live she said there have only been 12 done so no one really has more experience here than she. How do I go about finding someone that specifically does this operation? I'm am scared, but am trying not to think about it. This forum may not be the place to ask this, but any direction would be appreciated. Thanks.
Beccajo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2006, 12:53 PM
surgeon search

I would think maybe try calling the biggest hospital in your area and see if they could help you out???!!! Either that, or keep searching the internet, I am sure there has got to be a way to search for them on the web!!!!! Best wishes to you!!!!!
Unread 01-06-2006, 02:24 PM
surgeon search

Hi Beccajo,

I agree with Barb about calling one of the bigger hospitals in your area. Even outpatient facilities. My LSH Dr. was on the board of the outpatient facility where I had my LSH.

Also, you might check out the gyneo medical groups in lets say, a 50-mile radius. Call them and ask for a LSH referral. One phone call may lead to another. I had my LSH in No. Nevada and I drove an hour to my Dr's office. As I understand, we have two LSH Drs in my area. You may find in your research you come back to the same LSH Dr's name or names.

Also, as Barb said too, checking the internet is a good idea.

I had my LSH over 18 months ago and I am still VERY pleased with my surgery results!!

Best wishes,

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2006, 03:20 PM
surgeon search

Thanks for the replies. My doctor said the local hospital had only started doing LSH in the last 3 or 4 months. There had been 12 and she had done one of the twelve. So at least locally, I figure no one is much more experienced than she is. Does anyone know how long LSH has been around? It sounds so much better than the other options.
Unread 01-06-2006, 03:29 PM
surgeon search

Try the following website:
http://www.hysterectomyoptions.com

It has a physician search for doctors who perform minimally invasive procedures (MIP), which includes the LSH and vaginal hysterectomy.

Also, my doctor says the LSH requires two surgeons (or maybe that's just the way she does it, I don't know). You might ask if your doc uses another surgeon in the OR and maybe that surgeon has more experience.

Good Luck!
Julie
Unread 01-06-2006, 03:58 PM
surgeon search

You might want to check out obgyn.net, they have a section called hysterectomy university. There are different presentations on the site and some about LSH. I read where it has been around since the early 90's, but I got the impression that most of the gyn's have not been performing this procedure that long. I was a good candiate and if I had to do it over, I would not change a thing. It is very important to ask any doctor you choose what there conversion rate is. I did ask my dr. and ended up going to another (several hours away), one who had a lower conversion rate. Good luck.
Unread 01-06-2006, 06:43 PM
surgeon search

What do you mean by conversion rate?
Beccajo
Unread 01-06-2006, 06:45 PM
surgeon search

I've read where docs use another doc and I also read about a doc who was the only surgeon in town and he used nurses to help. But good question. I would think if this town is new to it, then other docs would want to join in for experience. Thanks,
Beccajo
Unread 01-06-2006, 06:52 PM
surgeon search

Beccago,
When they do a LSH there is always a possibility that they may have to convert to an abdominal surgery. So you want to find a surgeon with a very low conversion rate, I think it is a very important question to ask. My dr. was less than 1%. You may also want to ask how many they have performed. Good luck.
Unread 01-06-2006, 09:13 PM
surgeon search

Hi again, Beccajo,

I agree with Calliekitten about a back-up surgeon. My LSH Dr. had an associate from his medical practice as a LSH back-up Dr. on my surgery.

And I agree with Voltown on the conversion rate. You might want to know that going into surgery.

Best wishes. We LSH sisters are here to help if we can.

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register