walking 3 miles a week, 4 weeks out? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

walking 3 miles a week, 4 weeks out? walking 3 miles a week, 4 weeks out?

Unread 02-26-2014, 10:13 AM
walking 3 miles a week, 4 weeks out?

I had a tvh about 4 weeks ago. I'm in college, my final semester, and a requirement is an activity wellness class (think phys ed). Now before the surgery was even in my horizon I signed up for a walking class. It started today, and I learned that we will be walking one mile, three times per week. Does anyone have any idea what the odds are that the doctor will clear me for this? I see him this Friday. Thanks in advance. I should mention that this is my final semester, graduation is in May. I won't be able to do this class in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Re: walking 3 miles a week, 4 weeks out?

Is it a timed mile? I have 4 weeks post op and am able to walk a slow mile. Listen to your body and talk to your teacher about it as well
Unread 02-26-2014, 10:20 AM

Class is an hour. But one requirement is to reach target heart rate and maintain it. :/ I'm super nervous about this. I also am pulling a 3.92 GPA and I really don't want that to drop because of a stupid one credit class. Sigh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2014, 10:21 AM

Seconding Tsmith's comment about a timed mile. Three miles a week isn't that much; at a month out, you should be able to do it as long as you aren't trying to beat the clock. It depends on what else you are doing at the time and what your procedure involved, though. For me, I had an uncomplicated TAH for a very big fibroid (no adhesions or anything) and was able to walk a half-mile at a time by late the first week. However, I wasn't doing anything else during that time aside from sitting in a recliner and knitting, and I'm a habitual walker already.

Just make sure you aren't trying to beat a certain time, and stop and have a sit-down if you need to. You're also taking classes and probably walking back and forth to those, and some campuses are hilly or slope upwards in a given direction.

Edited to add: Can you talk to the person in charge of the class to see if your target heart rate can be edited down a bit? I'd be concerned about having to maintain a certain heart rate without an option for slowing down or stopping if you need it.
Unread 02-26-2014, 10:24 AM

I can't stop and sit. We'll be walking outside in the woods, on country roads, etc. I'm nit taking any other classes either. Lol I have one other class that is online. I screwed up by waiting until my last semester to take the activity. Kicking myself as I type
Unread 02-26-2014, 10:27 AM

Don't kick yourself hon -- you couldn't have known. I put off my gym classes in college until the last possible moment, too. :-) Definitely talk to the instructor and see what can be done.
Unread 02-26-2014, 10:29 AM

Thank you. I will see what the doc says Friday, and I'll see my instructor that same day so I guess we'll go from there. I got freaked out a little haha
Unread 02-26-2014, 12:39 PM

Everyone's situation is different. I was active before pre-op. I had massive adhesions and a 6 hour surgery. I'm walking 3-4 miles per day at a brisk pace. You just have to start slowly and ease into any kind of physical activity.

Speaking with your dr and your instructor is your safest approach to protect both your health and your GPA.
Unread 02-26-2014, 12:47 PM

The second thing you should do is contact either the school or the instructor. They have to meet the needs of people with disabilities. While your issue is only temporary they should have parameters set for just such occurrences.
Unread 02-26-2014, 05:07 PM

Agreed with shellfish. If your instructor doesn't know, seek out counselor or advisor. Keep asking until you find the disabilty services office. They should be able to provide accommodations.

As for doing the mile. Since week 2 I've been doing a mile 1 or 2 times a day but on flat path. I do mild inclines every few days but I have to be careful. But I only had partial LSH.

Sounds like a great class hopefully your instructor can help your support your recovery. Happy Healing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register