unreasonable to do after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

unreasonable to do after surgery? unreasonable to do after surgery?

Unread 04-28-2007, 09:49 PM
unreasonable to do after surgery?

I live in Southern Ca. and
I am scheduled for a TAH w/mini tummy tuck on June 26.
The last week of July I want to tour boston with my 16yr old daughter. Is that too unreasonalbe to think that I could do something like that after a hysterectomy?

When do the stiches (or are they staples) come out?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2007, 10:12 PM

Hi there, I originally posted because I thought you said July 1st...and I thought that was way too soon...but the last week of July....it really depends because we all heal differently.

I am 4 weeks post op and wouldn't think of traveling at this point. Whatever your decision...make sure to get lots of rest. I know if it was me and knowing what I know now there is no way I would do it. It still hurts to sit too long, and can't stand too long either. Of course we all mend at different rates.

Take care
Unread 04-29-2007, 06:11 AM

That sounds a bit soon to me, at 4 - 5 weeks post op I was still pretty sore and moving slowly most of the time. Have you talked to your dr about it? Could you possibly postpone the trip to Boston until a little bit later? Would you have a plan and places to rest when needed? These questions are what pop into my mind qiuckly.

I had staples after my tah/bso. Half were removed the day I was discharged from the hospital ( at day 4 ), the rest were removed at 10 days post op. I had steri strips in one place after that for a few more days.

Best wishes.

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2007, 07:08 AM

I agree with the other sisters. You do need to give yourself time to heal without overdoing it. And everyone heals differently. I personally, feel better since my surgery than I have in well over a year. I am looking forward to my upcoming trip to St Louis. It is still a little ways off, but I feel so good now, that I am finally excited about my trip and walking around the sites, instead of dreading it and the walking. Best wishses to you for a speedy recovery.
God Bless
Unread 04-29-2007, 07:49 AM

I can tell you that I returned to work 4 weeks after a TLH and it was not easy. I had alot of back pain and was exhausted. I would try and postpone the trip. Good luck.

Sherri
Unread 04-29-2007, 09:12 AM

hi liberty! I had the same procedure done as you're going to; the staples come out a week later, all 50! It's a hip to hip incision, and you'll have a drain or 2 as well. I was still kinda sore 4 weeks later, helped husband with a yard sale at 4 weeks and paid dearly for it that night! I was extremely sore after being on my feet all day, and lifting stuff I shouldn't have been You may feel ok tho, but don't do a walking tour! hUGS , jean
Unread 04-29-2007, 09:31 AM

Boston is a great place to visit, but it requires a lot of walking. You will also need to deal with crowds, lines and not knowing if there will be a place to sit and rest when necessary.

You are going coast-to-coast, so I would want the best experience possible. Personally don't think you will be able to enjoy the trip that soon post-op.

Take care
Unread 04-29-2007, 09:41 AM

I agree - I had a TAH/BSO and would not have been up to a trip like that at 4 weeks post-op. You really don't want to rush your recovery.

My staples came out at one week, and then I had steri-strips for another week. (I did not have any drains)

Good Luck,

Mary Beth
Unread 05-01-2007, 09:03 AM

I had a TAH and based on my experience, I would never attempt a trip like that 4-5wk post op. Maybe I am a whimp, but at 8wks post-op now, I still get tired. I have learned I still have limits to what I can do, and will feel exhausted and sore at the end of the day if I try to much. Good Luck....
Unread 05-01-2007, 09:39 AM

I'm 4 weeks out and went across the province last week. I didn't do much other than sleep or lay there, which is good that it was only a trip for legal paperwork. The car ride over (4 hours) was kinda rough.

There's no way I'd be up for a trip to a big city. (and I'm off meds too)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register