It does get better | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

It does get better It does get better

Unread 01-22-2009, 12:16 PM
It does get better

I had a radical abdominal hysterectomy with ovaries removed 11/20/08, and I had quite the time recovering. I was leaking lymphatic fluid for 3 weeks, I had a catheter in for three weeks because my bladder just would not void completely, a good dozen trips to the doctor, one to the ER, all sorts of aches and pains, I became exhausted easily, I was nauseated and had a poor appetite for almost seven weeks, I caught cold after cold, I was frustrated, uncomfortable, bored, anxious, and I thought it would never end. But it did! The past week and a half I have had good energy that has carried nearly all the way through each day. I'm tired by 7:00, but that is improving. I've been doing my hour long walks, and they include a few steep hills. I'm taking care of my kids and all of my household duties. And I have to say that for me the hysterectomy has had some good effects, too, other than removing the cancer from my body. I have lost 11 lbs. since the surgery, and that has motivated me to improve my already pretty healthy diet: I'm juicing greens and I've increased my vegetables and fruits. I have hope that I can finally lose all the weight that I gained during my pregnancies. I wonder if the ovary removal/loss of estrogen has helped, because I had the symptoms of too much estrogen since having children. My skin is clearer than ever, I was a bit too oily before. And , strangely, I used to have a nightmare every other night through out my adult life and since the surgery my dreams have become mercifully boring and uneventful. I truly believe now that hormones influence dreams/psychology. Anyway, I feel really good and thought I never would again. If it can happen to me, it can happen to others as well. Just trying to sprinkle a little fairy dust for those just beginning their journey of recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2009, 12:44 PM
It does get better

Bella Rose,

Thank you for that lovely post! Sounds like you had a tough road, but you made it! And to begin a new, healthy life is great.

Interesting about the estrogen effect. I have one ovary, 2.5wks post op, so not worrying about symptoms in regard to that since I am still early in recovery. But, I had varying symptoms before, and felt they were hormonal. It was very frustrating, because I couldn't really get a straight answer from my dr. as to which hormone I was deficient or in excess of. I had symptoms such as difficulty losing weight, hair loss, hair growing on front of calves, not back, low libido, cravings. I was tested for thyroid, it was a bit on the low side of normal. took thyroid meds and they made me too hyper. I took low dose birth control pills for a few weeks (had to quit due to migraines), and I felt great on them! Actuallly lost a few lbs and libido came back. I know BCP's have both estrogen and progesterone. I always thought I was estrogen dominant based on reading, and needed more progesterone, but gyno told me NO... I need more estrogen... very confusing- goes against everything I've read. I have not gone through menopause yet, and have started taking the natural Estroven to see if it helps. Would be nice to get a straight answer tho that made sense!

CC
Unread 01-22-2009, 01:41 PM
It does get better

Hi CC, Interesting. I suppose I could have had another set of hormones causing my issues. I, too, tested in the low range with my thyroid and was prescribed Synthroid a good eight years ago, but I chose not to take it. I was 120 lbs. before having my first child and 226 the day before I delivered. I lost 40 lbs. or so immediately and then managed to take off a little more. I'm 167 now. I have never been able to recover anything resembling my pre-pregnancy figure. My eating habits did change from being vegetarian pre-preg to eating meat and cheese during and after, but I never ate the huge amounts one would have to consume in order to gain that rapidly and keep some of it on. Also, I had breast tenderness, increased vaginal fluid and not just during ovulation as it had been, decreased sex drive, bloating (I'm on hydrochlorothyazide, a water pill) now, and lisinopril for my high blood pressure). It escapes me at the moment which other symptoms are estrogen-related. Uterine cancer runs in my family, so I am wondering if high estrogen does, as well. I have never been tested or anything. I had my ovaries out 11/20 and I have experienced hot flashes and nightsweats in light to moderate degrees, but I am not horrifically uncomfortable or anything. I assume I have stored estrogen helping me out there. I won't do the HRT because of my family history of reproductive cancers. My parts are gone, I know, but I don't want ever to have to lie awake nights wondering. It would be nice to have a good understanding of hormones. Stay well and rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2009, 02:03 PM
It does get better

Thank You for sharing your story, I am so happy for you that it has a happy ending! High estrogen levels is what caused my endometrial hyperplasia that turned to cancer 1A. I am 6 1/2 weeks post op and I have so many plans but am too tiard to get anything done. It is good to hear there is energy waiting for me around the corner!
You have taken the bull by the horns and won, nothing can stop you now!
Unread 01-22-2009, 02:18 PM
It does get better

Ruby Red, It seems that around the 6 week mark is a turning point when you begin to see a light at the end of the tunnel. From having read so many posts here and knowing a friend of mine who went through this two years ago, there is some kind of shift at 6 weeks. And it gets better from there. And if my friend is any indication life can be wonderful two years and three months down the line. She is a dynamo. Thank goodness your cancer was caught early. Yes, energy is waiting for you right around the corner.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register