Shopping Alert! Things for the Castle - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Shopping Alert!  Things for the Castle Shopping Alert! Things for the Castle

Unread 07-13-2004, 08:08 PM
Good Luck to all of you

and prayers to those of you on your way to the castle, and those of you already home.

I will be having a complete hysterectomy in the fall. Planning on then to give me time to get my house, job, and Christmas shopping in order so I will have a clear mind to concentrate on healing. Have learned so much from you all on what to get for my trip to the castle. Thanks.

Take care of yourselves..

Theresa
:dance2:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2004, 08:11 PM
Shopping Alert! Things for the Castle

Hey sisters-Good luck to all of you. s

...don't forget phone cards in case your cell phones are not allowed, or don't work. I also rec'md writing those tiny numbers on a note card REALLY BIG ..makes dailing all those numbers so much easier. Great for not only you, but friends and family members who visit. Generally speaking making long distance calls from the room is a royal pain and expensive!

Best thoughts for all of you. more s

Anne
TAH/BSO +++
Unread 07-13-2004, 08:31 PM

Hi, had a TAH last November and had a great experience, both in the castle and when I returned home. Just a couple of things......

I would agree with those who said to just wear the hospital gowns....they are just so much easier...I changed a couple times a day and it felt good to have a fresh gown on. Save your cute pretty gowns for home. But, a nice robe to walk around the halls in is great....and you'll want to walk as much as possible!

I would recommend having someone bring in a pillow or two from home. The only thing in my whole recovery that was a little challenging was the "morphine headache" that I had the second and third nights. I found out later that, while the morphine drip was wonderful in how it made you feel for those few hours after surgery, it can cause headaches later. And the hospital pillows can feel like rocks under your head.

I didn't feel like eating very much for awhile, but I had taken some peppermint drops with me (those red and white striped hard candies). Those were great. They lasted a long time, made me feel like I'd had something to eat and made my breath better!

Also, remember to think about something for the nursing staff. They were so wonderful. I had my DD stop at See's Candies on her way to visit on the second day and she took a box out to the nurse's station.....Big Hit! I don't think they get thanked enough!

My hysterectomy was the best thing that I've ever done for myself! I can't believe how good I feel - my quality of life has improved dramatically. Best wishes, thoughts and prayers to all of you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2004, 08:38 AM

Hi,9erfan!
Thanks so much for the encouraging words. I have found great support in just the few days of being a "sister".
SOunds like hospital gowns are pretty practical and I could do without messing up the new stuff.....I just have difficulty sharing my "rear" with the rest of the world. I'm doing robe and slipper shopping tonight. What a stylish group we are!

You sound as if you did wonderfully - which is something we all need to hear. This apprehension/waiting is another story.
Thanks again for the prayers, support and good wishes.
Unread 07-14-2004, 09:24 AM

You all have some great ideas!!

How could I have forgotten chocolate???

Love the idea of the body pillow... have wanted one for a long time and now have a good excuse to buy one!!! (Why do I always need an excuse??? I'd buy one for my mom in a minute!)

I've already set up my laptop by the living room couch, as I think that's where I'll be spending a fair amount of time... Wondering what would work best - a lap pillow, breakfast tray... Anyone with any suggestions???

Downloaded a few mindless games for those times I'm in too much of a drug induced haze to read (I hate daytime TV). Watch out girls! I am sure I'll be spending even more time here!!!
Unread 07-14-2004, 10:12 AM

Great suggestions! I just made my list , and I have 21 days to go ! I just wanted to let people know about Amazon.com. They sell used books through book venders. I just ordered 8 books that I've been wanting to read....don't want to fall into that soap opera trap! Anyways, if you put in a search for the book you want it will have a link to New and Used. I got books for as little as $.01. You have to pay a couple dollars for shipping, but it beats buying new. I tried the library, but they did not have the books I wanted. Hope this helps someone. I do understand from reading these posts that it may be a week or so before I feel like reading (or have the brain power to do so!). Good luck to all you soon to be princesses .....and wecome back to all the new princesses!

Dove
Unread 07-14-2004, 11:23 AM

Hi!
You never know about the light/noise level.
I took a silky eye mask and a set of ear plugs!
(It paid off when I got a roomie...and when a baby was crying down the hall.)

Good luck!
Unread 07-14-2004, 01:57 PM

Hello ladies! I am 4 wks post op and just wanted to make a couple of suggestions. They may have already been discussed, so if I'm repeating...sorry.

I packed way too much for my castle stay. But the most important things I took were:

Burt's Bees lip balm
Pre-moistened face cloths
Hair band
Portable CD player w/soothing CD's & extra batteries
Hard candies
Toothbrush/paste
Eyemask

All of these things I kept in a fanny pack attached to the bedrail. I also brought travel sized toiletries (although my hosp provided them) and my own slippers. I wore the hospital gowns, just so much easier.

As for at home, I lived in pjs for the first 3 wks. It's only been the last week that I've felt like getting dressed everyday.

Good luck ladies!
Unread 07-14-2004, 02:08 PM

Hi Ladies ~ I am set for July 19th as well after having two ... yes two other dates, both of which were cancelled!

I do have a suggestion, thanks to a friend IRL

I went to WalMart and bought a medium sized basket with handles on the ends.

It's wide and fairly long as well as very pretty.

I have placed thank you cards in there, along with my address book, pens, a few magazines, lip balm and some kleenex.

I plan on having this on the bed with me at all times, especially when no one is around.

I love these suggestions! Thank you!
Unread 07-14-2004, 07:20 PM

Wow! I started this post just to let everybody know that sleepwear is on sale right now and everybody seems to have great suggestion for what to take to the hospital or have at home.
I have learned one important thing on this message board regarding what to take to the hospital--everybody is different.
Some say take a book, others say no. Well, I am a book junkie. I read everywhere--in bed, at lunch, in the doc office, and in the car (unless I'm driving). Even if I don't feel like reading after surgery, just know it's there in case I do is comforting for me.
Some say take a Walkman. Well, I hate listening to music unless I am working out. Listening to music will just remind me that I am not capable at the moment to go for one of my high energy walks.
Another woman recommended a fan. I, on the other hand, tend to freeze in the hospital. Besides, electrical appliances are not allowed at my hospital.
Some are saying to stick to wearing the hospital gowns. If you have an epidural and someone needs to look at your back, that is probably wise. If, however, you have a TVH or TAH with general anesthesia, it is no more difficult to lift up a "store bought" nightie than a hospital gown. I have been in the hospital for other surgeries, and I always look forward to that first shower when I can change.
One woman posted that she went to the hospital with just the clothes on her back. Others have laundry lists of things they took. I say that if packing a bag is therapeutic for you, do it!!
The worst that can happen is that you'll bring it all home. If you want to play it safe, pack the bag and leave it at home or in the car. Then, if you need it, someone can bring it to you. Or, you'll have it all in one spot for when you come home. That way, when you ask your hubby to get something for you, he'll know right where to look. Believe me, male refrigerator blindness reaches far beyond the kitchen.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register