Shouldn't we all just be waiting for the new drugs to come out? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Shouldn't we all just be waiting for the new drugs to come out? Shouldn't we all just be waiting for the new drugs to come out?

Unread 03-14-2005, 09:39 AM
Shouldn't we all just be waiting for the new drugs to come out?

I know some of us with fibroids need a hysterectomy, the sooner the better. But there are new drugs on the horizon, which might be good if we could just wait. They are supposed to shrink broids just as much as Lupron does, without such bad side effects. One of them is the "abortion pill", taken in a lower dose. It's called RU-486 or mifeprestone. (someone correct me on my spelling). It's been held up because of anti-abortion politics. They are changing it a little and renaming it something else. There is another drug called something like Anaprisnil, but I know that's not right because I Googled that spelling and nothing came up. If someone knows anything about this drug, please post. Maybe it isn't a new drug, maybe it's what they're renaming the RU-486, but I don't think so. They are hoping to get this drug out in January. I don't want anyone's health problems to worsen because they're waiting for these drugs, cos maybe it will take a lot longer or they will discover that they're not so good after all. But I never see anything about them on this site, and I think a lot of people don't even know they're coming down the pike.

Maybe each of us could take a little time to research these drugs on the Internet, ask our doctors etc., see what we can find out about them and post our results on this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2005, 08:49 AM

Hi ((purplesea)),
Thanks for the info
As for waiting for these new drugs to be approved, I personally would think it would depend on each individual situation. If the symtoms were severe & severely affecting quality of life..I wouldnt think one would opt to wait?!? On the other hand, if symptoms were minimal, I would think choosing a time frame in which one was willing to await FDA approval...

Many times it can take years for these drugs to be approved..if they even are. It does provide us with hope though that such products are seen as being needed

I found some info on the net that I wanted to share with you:

Clinical Trial of a New Progesterone-Receptor Blocker Medication; Asoprisni:
http://www.ucsf.edu/fibroids/trials.html

Here was something else that less-invasive & seems to be holding some promise in some cases:

Therapeutic Ultrasound & Myolysis:
  Quote:
Myolysis or Cryomyolysis are uterine fibroid treatments in which uterine fibroids are burned or frozen via laparoscopic surgery.
http://www.uterine-fibroid-treatment...r-options.php3

There was also some good info here:
http://www.uterine-fibroid-treatment...edication.php3

Hope this helps Good Luck with everything and please keep us posted..((hugs))
Unread 03-15-2005, 08:24 PM

Hi,
I had my LSH for two problematic fibroids that were causing me to bleed 20+ days a month.

Before my surgery, I wanted to exhaust every possible way to avoid having a hysterectomy. I tried birth control pills--4 different kinds. I tried diet changes--didn't work because I only felt good when I ate due to anemia. I tried Novasure ablation--failed. I looked into fibroid removal only--found out that it would be an abdominal myomectomy. I looked into UAE--decided it wasn't for me. Then, I went to a reproductive endocrinologist who prescribed Femara, a breast cancer drug that is an aromatase inhibitor. It inhibits estrogen, which causes the fibroids to grow. Well, I failed that too--my fibroids got larger in just 4 months on the drug!!!! ARGH!

I agree that everyone needs to know what is available. A lot of doctors just aren't interested in taking care of the fibroids if the woman doesn't want anymore children or if a hysterectomy can take care of the problems. Someone, somewhere should be researching this!

Best of luck to you on your upcoming surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2005, 08:01 PM

I think one of the major problems with medications that shrink fibroids is that they only work temporarily like Lupron. If they could just figure out how to keep our estrogen from making them grow, then maybe there'd be a chance??

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register