Nightmares from pain meds? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nightmares from pain meds? Nightmares from pain meds?

Unread 02-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Nightmares from pain meds?

I am having the WORST nightmares that I cannot wake up out of until I'm screaming and my husband helps me wake up. Is this from the pain meds (lortab and percocet)? Can I switch to something else so that I don't have these anymore? Has anyone else dealt with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2006, 05:31 PM

Absolutely Hrtofluv, it could be from your meds. I never mentioned it to anyone but I had bad nightmares too. They were very vivid and graphic. I don't ever remember having them before. I think for me it was the combo of the meds and the pain/stress from the surg. They went away after 2 weeks. And I've never had them again. If you need to change meds plz ask your dr first. It could be that you need to switch or even take your meds at another time. They will know what to do. Don't feel weird, I went thru this too.
Best wishes for a good recovery!
Unread 02-28-2006, 05:34 PM

Thanks SO much for the experience. I am so scared to take them at night now.
I will definitely put a call into the doc office tomorrow.
I see you had the lovely fibroids - I did too - it's the only thing he would tell me in the hospital. That I had the uterus of a mom carrying 3 month sextuplets (yep - 6 of them bad boys). Already feel a difference from that!
THANKS again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2006, 05:36 PM

I had really bad dreams the one night I took percocet. That and the itching made me swear off of the percocet. I took darvocet after that and had no problems. I don't think the darvocet is as strong, but it managed my pain. I hope this helps-I know everyone is different in their medication reactions. After 4 days, I stopped all pain meds with the exception of tylenol pm or ibuprofen. I had a tah with both ovaries removed. I wish you all the best.
Unread 02-28-2006, 05:57 PM

I had a horrible experience with Lortab. OH MY...... awful nightmares and anxiety. Fear...... Fear..... Fear..... I woke up at 3 a.m. and called the hospital because of my anxiety. They told me that it wasn't the meds...... but I knew it was........ I never took another one and threw them away and my mind became clear and I've been sleeping better ever since. No more lortab for me......
Unread 02-28-2006, 07:06 PM

had nightmares too after my surgery..........I don`t know excactly what was to blame but I did experience a couple those first few days after surgery I think it could have been a combination of the anathesia and stress of surgery....I didn`t take a lot of pain meds after coming home.............I hope you feel better soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! `S
Unread 02-28-2006, 07:18 PM
not nightmares, but bizarre dreams...

i was on dilautid for a couple of nights and i had very WEIRD dreams...nothing scary but i would wake up like HUH???? as soon as i stopped taking it the dreams went away....
Unread 02-28-2006, 09:57 PM

I too have nightmares and strange dreams with the percocet. Its starting to get better now.
Unread 02-28-2006, 11:19 PM

Wow, all these message reminded me about how I felt back then. Yes, I too had taken a Percocet and I remember now that I stopped because they were definitely causing the nightmares. Funny what you remember when others post. It was a terrible feeling when i would wake up. Like you just couldn't shake the dreams out of your head. I felt alot of relief when I stopped taken that.
Unread 03-01-2006, 06:25 AM

I always have strange dreams, but I have to say that they intensified right after surgery for about 4 nights. A few were really scary, and I remember waking up panting one time, and making a face another time. Now I'm pretty much back to my "normal" strange dreams.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register