Question about Vaginal Cuff? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about Vaginal Cuff? Question about Vaginal Cuff?

Unread 04-10-2008, 07:20 AM
Question about Vaginal Cuff?

I'm in my 3rd week of recovering from my TAH on March 17th. MD did LSO and took my cervix. He told me that I have a vaginal cuff. I haven't asked about that yet because I can't have sex till April 28th and my next appointment is April 24th. But, the more I think about it, it kind of creeps me out. I mean how much room is there from the opening of the vagina to the vaginal cuff? I mean is my husband going to hit it at all or even tear it open. I'm just a little lost about this. Was wondering if any of you sisters had this done and how was your experience with sex then and now. I want to prepare myself for when the day comes to have sex again. Before the hysterectomy I encounter pain due to my uterus being enlarge with my ovaries tuck behind. I had painful sex, I try to keep my husband happy. But, alot times I had to turn him down due to so much pain internally!

Can someone please help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2008, 07:51 AM

Hi there,

Once you have been cleared for sex by your doctor and want to try it for the first time, what I recommend is that you be on top so you can control his depth. Make sure you tell him that he can't help the movement yet until you are comfortable. You gotta do all the work at first while you "feel things out".
Unread 04-10-2008, 07:56 AM

just take it slow and easy, try being on top, and try other ways. Might not be the best for a while, but it will get better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2008, 12:22 PM

I also have a vaginal cuff. I was wondering the same thing how much room. I was trying to do research. What I've found so far talks about a tear while healing. I have found anything say it could get teared after it heals. Does anyone know? I too had painful sex I can't wait to have a normal sex life again because it won't hurt anymore!
Unread 04-10-2008, 12:29 PM

I also have a vaginal cuff. I was wondering the same thing how much room. I was trying to do research. What I've found so far talks about a tear while healing. I have found anything say it could get teared after it heals. Does anyone know? I too had painful sex I can't wait to have a normal sex life again because it won't hurt anymore!
Unread 04-10-2008, 07:50 PM

I have a cuff ,had my surgery 4 months ago.a good idea is to operate from on top at first. I was so excited about still having a libido that I was anxious and nervous at the same time. sort of made me feel like a virgin (smile)
Unread 04-10-2008, 08:46 PM

I also have a vaginal cuff. From what I understand, the length of the vagina has not been shortened from what it was before.

I was told to imagine an apple sitting on the open end of a drinking glass. The piece of the apple that hangs into the glass is the cervix (and the glass is the vagina). If you remove the apple /cervix, the height of the glass stays the same. So the length of the vagina should not be changed. The vaginal cuff is the sewing of the two edges together just as if you were able to sew the rim of the glass. I'm no doctor but, this was a visual that worked for me. I have had sex with my hubby but could not get a good idea of where the 'end' was. We were very cautious so I couldn't get a good 'read' on it.
Unread 04-10-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banff4me
I also have a vaginal cuff. From what I understand, the length of the vagina has not been shortened from what it was before.

I was told to imagine an apple sitting on the open end of a drinking glass. The piece of the apple that hangs into the glass is the cervix (and the glass is the vagina). If you remove the apple /cervix, the height of the glass stays the same. So the length of the vagina should not be changed. The vaginal cuff is the sewing of the two edges together just as if you were able to sew the rim of the glass. I'm no doctor but, this was a visual that worked for me. I have had sex with my hubby but could not get a good idea of where the 'end' was. We were very cautious so I couldn't get a good 'read' on it.
Thank you that helped me to visualize it.
Unread 04-11-2008, 03:47 AM

Thank you all ladies for giving me information and your experiences and advice. I will let you know how it goes when the day gets here. I know DH is counting down the days, but hasn't said anything to me. But, I know he can't wait, LOL!
Unread 04-11-2008, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw34
So, nice to know someone else is like me in here. I did some research. But, I wanted to hear from these wonderful ladies who have had experience first hand. Keep me posted when the day comes for you. If you don't mind .

Good luck to you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register