Surgery on Monday and sick...really?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery on Monday and sick...really?? Surgery on Monday and sick...really??

Unread 04-24-2010, 07:36 AM
Surgery on Monday and sick...really??

I am scheduled for my TAH on monday and started getting sick last night. It just started with a sore throat then in the middle of the night I woke up with body aches and a fever. I took some IBProfin and the fever is gone now. I do feel a little better today then last night but I still don't feel good. I HAVE to be better by Monday. It took 6 weeks to get in for this surgery. I can't wait another 6 weeks if they had to cancel my surgery. I had plans to clean my house really good today but I think it would be in my best interest to just relax and try to start feeling better. Seriously, can it get worse than this???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Re: Surgery on Monday and sick...really??

I feel for you! That is my biggest fear is that something would happen and they'd have to reschedule me. My brother drove down from 1000 miles away to get my kids because I was supposed to be on 4/7 but then it was changed to 5/11. that set me back 6 weeks and my poor 75 year old Grandma has to take care of my kids Fingers crossed for you! Be careful with the ibuprofen, its a blood thinning medication, most docs say not to take it 1-2 weeks pre op, so just an FYI if you ARE well enough for surgery Monday, you might not want to mention you took the ibu, and try to just take tylenol for now.

Unread 04-24-2010, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the response. I thought about the ibprofin thing just as I took the pills. This is the first time I have taken it. As soon as I swallowed them I knew that I had messed up. I guess that is what happens when you are up at 3 in the morning not feeling well. LOL. I am praying that I feel well enough for this surgery but i will not mention the ibprofin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2010, 09:52 AM

You really should try to get in touch with your doctor. Explain how you are feeling and that you have taken some ibuprofen. You are putting your life at risk if you go into surgery sick and having taken medications you were not suppose to.

Your doctor can advise you as to what you can do to try to get better this weekend. I know you do not want your surgery canceled, but you also don't want to put your life in danger, either.

Drink lots of fluids the next couple days and stick to Tylenol!

Unread 04-24-2010, 01:06 PM

I'm in the same boat as you if that helps at all so sending hugs and healthy vibes! I'm scheduled for Monday, started feeling sick yesterday, woke up today much worse than yesterday Sore throat, body aches...difficulty swallowing and now a productive cough.

I'm trying to get ahold of someone because my gut says they won't do it when I'm like this, but I'm also trying to remain optimistic that it improves...

I don't know if you have to do a bowel prep but that is one of the things bothering me the most, I don't want to have to do a bowel prep just to have them cancel on me in the morning!
Unread 04-24-2010, 03:11 PM

Let them know about the ibuprofen. As long as you are not running a temperature it is unlikely that your surgery will be postponed.

The heck with your house. Get lots of rest, drink lots and lots of water (try for a gallon a day). You need to be really well hydrated before your surgery and the water will also help flush out the toxins from your body.

If you are worrying about your house, arrange for a housekeeper to come in and clean it for you about a week after you get back from the hospital. If your friends are asking how they can help either ask them to pay for the cleaning or ask them to clean for you! (that and bringing dinner over once a week)!

Good luck! I found the worst part of the whole thing was pre-op (waiting and worrying)
Unread 04-25-2010, 07:05 AM

Thanks everyone. I only took 2 ibprofin and that is the first time in weeks. They said that it would be ok as long as I didn't take any more. I still feel crummy but not as bad as the other day. I don't have a fever so it looks like the surgery is on. I can't wait to just get it over with.

I have been drinking lots of fluids and trying to not worry about the house. I am just doing a little at a time and then resting in between. My husband has really stepped up. He said not to worry and that he will get things done while I am in the hospital. He is staying home all week to take care of the kids and now the house. I think that everything is going to work out ok...I hope!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register