Scheduled TVH as it gets closer i realize its surgery! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

as it gets closer i realize its surgery! as it gets closer i realize its surgery!

Unread 01-21-2010, 08:13 AM
as it gets closer i realize its surgery!

eeek!!!! i mean i know its surgery but now i have all this stuff running through my head of whats life gonna be like after.. i really will NOT miss aunt flo at all its gonna be so wierd!!

im in the process of doing alot of cross training for my job to help things run smoothly while im out..

i have preop on Feb 8th.. i go see the dr first then over to the hospital.. what can i expect?

is he just familiarizing himself with my case one more time before surgery?? so im guessing an exam and stuff.. i know the hospital will be questions galore and probably some tests.. not worried about that..

im a horrible horrible stick so i do worry about the IV's.. but i know to ask for them to call someone after the first failure to get it done!

my surgery is feb 15th early in the am.. i may ask for something to sleep the night before.. i have insomnia at times and i KNOW ill be keyed up.. and i know i need sleep!

my dr said a minimum of one night in the hospital and maybe 2.. depending on pain and whether i can pee or not..

im having a tvh, a bladder sling and repairs.. ill find out more details about them when i go on the 8th..

any advice for afterwards.. im blessed that my mom is coming so my hubby can work.. and my teenage son is incredible .. my girls are going to stay with their dad and come visit..

i have the mini laptop.. a new book..some new pj's..

what about bleeding after? pads? undies?

can you tell my brain is wizzing!

any advice.. or experiences welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2010, 08:52 AM
Re: as it gets closer i realize its surgery!

Hi Gray! I am having almost the same surgery as you are. TVH and bladder sling anyways. For me I thought I was having a LSH but found out I am not, so now I am realizing that it is more major surgery then I thought. I am okay with that though. I will be following you for the recovery thread you are in should be the same week as mine. (I think!) My pre-op blood work is on the day of your surgery.

I have read that pads are good to have cause the hospital pads are huge!

Good Luck Sister!
Unread 01-21-2010, 09:03 AM

During the pre-op they do blood work, an EKG, etc. to make sure your body can handle the surgery. This is where they give you instructions as to how to prep, what to eat, when to be at the hospital, what to bring, etc. It's also a time to ask any last minute questions you may have. It's no big deal. I actually found it calming as one more time marker to the big day. For many of us the anticipation was worse than the reality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2010, 08:10 PM

Gray 27,

Check out the Hints from Members section. I read all the posts before my surgery.

I'd like to add that you shouldn't confuse good pain management with being healed.

Best wishes,

Cynthia
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:28 PM

Hi you all.
I had my TAH on January 18th and I can offer you some hints of what to expect or possibly expect.
A week prior to my procedure I went to my doctor for a pre-op appointment where they drew some blood, did a brief exam, and showed me a video about the hysterectomy story. Even though it was filmed in the 1970's it was very informative. The Friday before my TAH I went to the hospital for a type & screen where they drew my blood just in case I needed a transfusion. Then two days prior I could only eat soft foods:ie chicken, soup, but no hamburger or steak. The day before I had to drink Magnesium Citrate at 2 pm followed by no food or drink after midnight the night before. The morning of I had to do 2 enemas.

My procedure went well: No cancer at all. I had the uterus, one ovary, and a grapefruit sized fibroid removed.
I was in the hospital for 3 days total: today is my first day home.
I am having ever so slight bleeding but after having heavy bleeding for 10 years I am very happy.
I was not able to leave the hospital until i passed gas and ate solid soft foods. I have pain in one of my shoulders due to the gas trying to be let out. I am praying for you all and Look forward to seeing you on the otherside of the castle.
Unread 01-21-2010, 09:51 PM

I know what you're going through with all the anxiety. My surgery is tomorrow, and will probably be up all night stressing. At least we have this site and family to support us. Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register