Should I have bloating and bowel issues 10 days post robotic hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I have bloating and bowel issues 10 days post robotic hysterectomy? Should I have bloating and bowel issues 10 days post robotic hysterectomy?

Unread 08-05-2014, 04:30 AM
Should I have bloating and bowel issues 10 days post robotic hysterectomy?

Hi everyone, I am 10 days post surgery having had a robotic hysterectomy with ovaries removed. I thought I was really good by day 5 but today feel really bloated and gassy as well as stiff and sore in neck, back and shoulders. Any thoughts on when the bloated feeling will pass. Also my bowel movements are sluggish and I have a stitch like feeling low on the left side when pushing during a bowel movement. (Apologies for graphic description). I am really worried that I may have injured myself when I stupidly tried to lift a heater a couple of days ago. Also at 54 I thought my ovaries would have stopped functioning and i would not miss them but am having hot flashes and emotional ups and downs. I was taking hrt pre-op and have continued to take this but am still having these symptoms. Sorry that this post is all over the place but that is pretty much how i am feeling. Would love any advice. Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2014, 06:19 AM
Re: Should I have bloating and bowel issues 10 days post robotic hysterectomy?

Short answer- yes it is normal.

Long answer- you will have bloating off and in for probably months. Taking short walks, taking gas x and drinking peppermint tea helped me a lot. I am 3 months post op and still have swelling a few times a week.

The bowels will do strange things too. You had a major organ removed and now everything has to get in a new place in there. I had pain in my abdomen with bowel movements for about a month. Make sure you are taking a stool softener and drinking plenty of water. This will help you not get bound up, and help it pass easier.

Our ovaries continue to function even after menopause, not as well as they once did but they hang out and provide some hormones anyway. It's not unusual for you to have emotional ups and downs after having them removed. If you feel like it is too much talk to your doctor about having your estrogen increased, if you were on it before the surgery chances are you need a different dose since you had your ovaries removed.

I hope this info helps some . I wish you happy healing!
Unread 08-05-2014, 06:25 AM
Re: Should I have bloating and bowel issues 10 days post robotic hysterectomy?

I am 13 days post daVinci with everything including ovaries removed.I'm 45. I can't take hrt because my hysterectomy was for endometrial complex hyperplasia. And I'm a 9 year breast cancer survivor. I still have a little bloating one day and then not the next. I think it depends on what I eat.I do a lot of fruit and veggies but I think the fiber of the whole grain bread does it to me. I too thought my bowels were fine the about day 8 I had issues.Don't stop taking stool softener like I did when I stopped my pain medson day 3. I started them again along with peppermint tea. The tea worked great. I started sleeping with a hot water bottle about day 8 to ease back tension to help me go as well.So it sounds like you are on the same track I was. I drove on day 6 po and continue to do so. I go to the grocery store,but only for a few things at a time so it won't be heavy. Good luck for a speedy recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register