2 weeks post hysterectomy: How to stay regular? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 weeks post hysterectomy: How to stay regular? 2 weeks post hysterectomy: How to stay regular?

Unread 05-15-2016, 04:58 AM
2 weeks post hysterectomy: How to stay regular?

So I finally had success with the smooth move tea. Great stuff! My question now is that since I'm cleared out, how do I keep myself regular? My house looks like a drug store with all of the fiber medicine. I am currently taking 2 colace a day & eating a fiber one bar. My mom says I should drink fibercon also. I don't want to get too much fiber and get blocked up. I am starting back to work later this week so I know a regular schedule will help, but what regimen should I use to keep regular but not have to push since I can't?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2016, 10:21 AM
Re: 2 weeks post hysterectomy: How to stay regular?

I take stool softener and drink lots of water.
Unread 05-15-2016, 01:24 PM

While fiber is good, too much supplemental fiber might have the opposite effect. It might be better to get it naturally in fruits and vegetables. Some women have bloating and gas from some of the fiber supplements. My mom was on prescription opioids for pain and suffered from chronic constipation and we found Miralax to be a life saver. It does not cause bloating or gas and can be mixed in any liquid, so it is very easy to control the dosage--from very little, to much more. It is not absorbed into your body, so usually causes no side effects. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2016, 02:57 PM

Eating whole foods (stay away from anything processed) and drinking plenty of water.
Also, if you are taking medication, please note that it may contribute.
Unread 05-16-2016, 01:55 AM

Hi! Stay well hydrated, walks or some exercise keeps things moving.. Eat apples, prunes, veggies, nuts, seeds, magnesium.. Lite meals vs 3 big meals, limit pasta, rice..Peppermint tea for gas. I liked Fiber1 bars w hot tea. follow lots of water! Adjust as needed, depends how soon you go after eating it.. like maybe only eat 1/2 bar then the other 1/2 later or only eat 1/2 bar a day???

I found that until a lot of swelling went down at week 5, that i had to stay on 1 stool softener a day. It will feel like no muscle control to help go for weeks. Use a step stool, put feet on stool lean forward or pull knees to chest will align the colon. pain meds contribute constipation. Consider if off pain meds at work, & need something for aches pains , ibrophrophen. It gets better!
Unread 05-16-2016, 06:34 AM
2 weeks post hysterectomy: How to stay regular?

Be sure to get regular exercise, like a daily walk; that will help to keep you regular more than anything else. Also be sure to drink plenty of water, which can help to soften and lubricate your poop, so it passes through more easily; you'll know you're getting enough if your urine is clear or pale yellow. Also try supplementing your diet with magnesium, which promotes proper bowel function; food sources include leafy greens, whole grains, nuts and seeds, and dark chocolate. Another great way to get your colon on a regular schedule is to sit on the toilet right after a meal; this stimulates the gastro-colic reflex, in which the stomach tells the brain that it's full, then the brain tells the colon to empty its contents, to make room for the new stuff coming in. And when you do sit on the toilet, bring your knees to your chest, and elevate your feet on a low stool; this straightens the rectum, so the poop can pass through without straining. Best wishes for your continued recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register