TVH The constipation is KILLING me!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The constipation is KILLING me!!! The constipation is KILLING me!!!

Unread 03-27-2011, 07:21 PM
The constipation is KILLING me!!!

OMG I don't know which is worse- the post op pain or the 'gas' and bloating that is related to constipation! So my TVH was on Thurs 3/24 and I came home on Friday as expected. I started taking stool softener twice a day 1-2 days preop and continued that post op on the recommendation of the surgeon and nursing staff. I also added Senna as of Friday night (day I came home) because I know that the percocet are ver constipating. So today I finally had 2 small BM's in the morning- and I still had to 'strain' WAY more than I wanted too (I'm scared to death I'll 'pop' something).
By this afternoon the gas pain was SO bad, not to mention the bloating and feeling that I had to 'go' that I was almost doubled over. I finallly broke down and made a 'peachy bomb' (something one of my friends who's a nurse swears by). It's 2 tbsp Milk of Mag mixed with warm prune juice and a pad of butter. I actually 'went' aboiut an hour later, enough that the pain and bloating definitely felt better. I'm passing gas without a problem but it seems that with senna every night, stool softeners twice a day I should be able to go more easily. I'm not taking my pain meds as often as I need to because they are constipating me so badly and then my pain is out of control. Doesn't help that I was up and walking around most of today trying to get things 'moving'. My legs ended up hurting as much as my pelvic area!!!

And what's the difference between the normal "gas and bloating" vs. "swelly belly"??? I can hardly wear my own undies and I'm wearing hubby's PJ bottoms because they are so baggy on me!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Re: The constipation is KILLING me!!!

Are you drinking enough water? The stool softeners work by pulling water from the bowel. If you aren't drinking enough water, they won't work.

As to the swelly belly, that is usually caused by the inflammation that happens after surgery. Some of it is caused also by gas and bloating. So when you get rid of the gas, your belly will go down some and when the inflammation subsides, it should go down more. I am not a doctor but that is what I have read that happens.

Hope that helps.
Unread 03-27-2011, 07:36 PM

Take little walks around the house. That helps gas also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2011, 07:38 PM

Try drinking the prune juice regularly along with the stool softeners and see if that helps. Senna is a harsh laxative and will cause cramping. use the Milk of Mag if you really need to go.
Unread 03-27-2011, 07:49 PM

Thanks everyone- I am drinking as best I can and could probably benefit from drinking a little more. I think I'm going to cut back from 'solid' foods (not that I have much of an appetite) and eat more soups for a few days for extra liquid. I had hubby go out and buy me prune juice and milk of mag tonight. I think I'll have watered down prune juice a few times a day.
And I am walking...and walking...and walking to help 'move things along'. I walked so much today that my legs actually hurt- probably WAY more than I should have on post op day #3!!!!!
Unread 03-27-2011, 09:16 PM

Hi Disney,

I'm 3 days ahead of you (3/21) and am also dealing with the bowel/constipation issues, but they are getting better. My gas is under control with the Gas-x Ultra twice a day. I am taking 3 stool softeners a day (colace), drinking tons of water and eating fruit/prunes and fiberous foods. Still some issues though. It was so bad yesterday that when I finally was able to go (stool too large, blood and rectum pain) I told my husband that if I didn't have the prunes and stool softeners I would probably be dead. Today was much better... Like you I am not taking the narcotics because they always cause constipation with me.

One thing that I have notice helps me, is to bring a pillow (mine is a square kindof thick decorative pillow) into the bathroom with me and just try to put my head down and relax. It takes a lot of time, but it's less straining. Plus it's there, to grab onto if my bowels give me any trouble.

I also can't wear my own undies, so just ordered some of those hospital mesh ones to get me through during the swelly belly part. All I'm wearing is extra large pj bottoms, with wide bands so nothing cuts into my belly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register