A Question about nausea from anesthesia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A Question about nausea from anesthesia A Question about nausea from anesthesia

Unread 06-21-2004, 01:57 PM
A Question about nausea from anesthesia

I don't know quite where to put this question, but thought it would be good to ask those who have already been through a hysterectomy.

Every time I go through a surgical procedure where they have to put me under, I get violently nauseous from the anesthesia for a couple of days. Does anyone else experience this, and if so, what has the doctor given you to help stop it? When I went home after my laparoscopy, I took Emetril and it didn't do a thing. The pain medications with Codein in it also make me nauseous. I'm allergic to morphine (it makes my blood pressure drop pretty low - 80/40 range - as soon as it is injected).

I'm a little scared because of my reactions that they won't be able to give me anything strong enough to take away the pain after surgery. I'm scheduled to have a T.A.V. sometime next spring. I will, of course, ask my doctor about options, but I would REALLY like to hear from those who have the same experiences with pain meds and anesthesia.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

-nmil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2004, 02:20 PM
nausea from anestetics

Hi nmil,
I just had my vaginal hysterectomy on June 4, 2004. Prior I had had laproscopic gallbladder surgery in 1993 at which time I was VERY nauseated for hours afterward - it wasn't fun! This time I told the dr up front my concerns about nausea after surgery and I spoke with the anestesiologist (sp?) before surgery and whatever he gave me I did fine - until they hooked me up to a morphine drip - that was terrible! I was nauseated within an hour or so. I also get nauseated from Codiene. I am sure though that when you discuss your concerns with them they will take extra care to try to avoid the nausea. They have many different drugs they can use so try not to worry too much about it. The nausea is the pits, but even if you do get nauseated it doesn't last forever. You can request the patch that they use for motion sickness and put that on before surgery, at least that's what I was told. Good luck - don't put off the surgery because of the nausea. I'm still sore but looking forward to NO MORE PERIODS - EVER!
Madelyn
Unread 06-21-2004, 02:31 PM

I also was nauseous after I had my TVH on May 18th. I actually threw up twice. They gave me a sot of Phenergan and that cleared it right up. What a terrible feeling I agree. Good Luck, I hope they can give you something before you actually throw up. Ask you Doc about Phenergan.

Samantha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2004, 02:42 PM
Zofran

Zofran is what to ask for. I an good friends with an anesthesiologist and she said Zofran works the best. I too get very ill and will be asking for it. I have had it before and did not get sick.

Also, tell them to remind you, while you are asleep that you will not get sick and you will be find. The power of mind suggestion does help!

By the way, don't take the shot for demerol or any pain meds ahead of the surgery. Years ago I had one and that added to me being sick. My chart says no pain meds a head of time because she gets sick!

Best wishes
Amy
Unread 06-21-2004, 04:31 PM

Hi nmil, Well you sound just like me!! I get very sick from medication and anestesia. I talked to the Dr. about it for a half an hour before surgery, well they tried everything with me even Zofran and a wrist thingy for motion sickness and nothing helped!! I threw up for about 12 hours after surgery. The good news for you is I am in about the 1% of people that medication doesnt help! I also cant take any narcotics because I throw up so I did it with Torodal and motrin. My doctors were suprised , they told me with all the new meds most people dont get sick any longer so you should do fine. I didnt write this to scare you but to reassure you that everything will be ok and the doctors will do everything they can if you let them know you get sick easy! Michelle
Unread 06-21-2004, 05:33 PM

Zofran did the trick for me. My gyn gave me a prescription for five pills. I took two of these one hour prior to surgery (along with something given by the anesthesiologist) and one just after. Didn't need the other two. Unfortunately they are very expensive. Even having prescription coverage I still had a sizable co pay for only five pills.
Unread 06-21-2004, 06:05 PM
Thank you, thank you

Ladies,

I can't thank you enough for your replies. I think it will be trial and error, but I will write down your suggestions and talk with my doctor.

I don't think anything will keep me from having this surgery. I have scar tissue on my uterus, and it causes pain during sex. I also have fibroids and endo. Natural menopause might take care of the last two, but it won't make the scar tissue go away. So, for a better quality of life, I'm going to take the plunge.

Again, thank you, very much, for taking time out of your busy schedules to reply.

Blessings to all of you,

nmil
Unread 06-21-2004, 06:12 PM

I, too, get sick after any general anesthesia, but I found that I don't get sick after a local (had a local for my carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists at separate times). I opted for an epidural and versed for my TAH-BSO- never got in the slightest bit queasy, and was up and walking the same day without any recollection of anything after the doctor told me to bend forwardwhen they got ready to do the epidural. The next thing I remember is being told it was all over and they had gotten everything!

I'm going in on 7/1/04 for laser surgery, and I'm going to write down these ideas for then so I don't get sick, either! Thanks for bringing up this thread!
Unread 06-21-2004, 06:37 PM

Hi. I know you have already gotten several great replys but I just wanted to say that I was just like you. I was crazy and I mean CRAZY with anxiety about throwing up after surgery. I really think I was much more worried about that than the pain. It sounds strange but I hate throwing up more than anything in the world. Anyway, I have the same problems you do with meds. I told them that I did not want any narcotics and they thought I was nuts. I did have them write all over my chart about my fears and past experiences. I had Zophan and it was great. I got a little nauseus and I told them and they gave me more and I was great. No more trouble. I had Toradol in a my IV along with Protonics. The Protonics help you not to feel bad from the Toradol. Some people have trouble taking Advil on an empty stomach for example and that smoothes things out a bit so that Toradol dosent hurt. Does that make sense? The doctors would know all about it. I had also found out about another wonderful thing called On-Q for pain. If you are not famaliar with it they put a small catheter inside the wound before they sew you up. At the end of the catheter is a ball full of meds. Usually lidocaine and it automatically goes into the wound. It bathes it constantly and keeps the site numb (ish). It lasts for about 2 or 3 days and it is what got me threw it. I still hurt but it was manageable. I was never more proud of myself. No one thought I could do it. But I did!!! You can look it up on the internet. There is soooo much on it. They say someday it will be standard for all surgeries. Oh and it does not hurt at all to take the catheter out. I actually asked them when they were going to do it and they said they already had. I was amazed. I just know that I had to tell someone about what I did because it made my life so much better. I actually went home in 2 days. I had a TAH on June 2nd. I am still healing but have done great. I was so very, very nervous. I have always been a big baby when it comes to hospitals and all that stuff and my husband is even a doctor and can't stand even the smell of hospitals. Anyway, I hope I haven't bored you to death but maybe helped in some way. God bless you and I hope all goes well for you.
Unread 06-21-2004, 07:56 PM

I never had this happen until my lap in March of this year. I then knew better and told the doctor before surgery. I was given medicine immediatley after surgery. I was given Phenergan, didn't work. Then they gave me Zofran, didn't work. Then they gave me Compazine - didn't work and caused a severe anxiety attack (can do that). That is all there really is for nausea, I have been on all during pregnancies due to Hyperemesis. And found that Phenergan always worked, so I was surprised when it didn't this time for me.

But tell them before and they can give you medicines to try to help stop or at least lessen the effects.

Also if you are allergic to codiene, do NOT take Morphine. It's a form of codiene. they put me on something else instead and I had no problem and it worked, btu I cannot recall what it was called, sorry about that.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register