Ovaries shutting down | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovaries shutting down Ovaries shutting down

Unread 12-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Ovaries shutting down

I have a ? I have been told by a friend of mine that her ovaries shut down for a short period of time after her TAH but that now they are working again. Anyone hear of this possibility? I think next to prolapsing again that is my biggest fear about my upcoming surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Ovaries shutting down

I spoke to my Dr. as this was a concern of mine as well. She told me that it does happen but not to everyone and that it is usually for no longer than a month and they can give you stuff to ease the symptoms. She said it is a shock to your system and not everyone responds the same and it could end up not happening at all. i am just looking at it this way... At least I won't have all the other crap to worry about as well and i can deal with it as it hppens!

Good Luck!!!
Unread 12-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Ovaries shutting down

Mine hasn't "woke up" yet and they put me on a month of HRT (at 5 weeks post op) to see it starts up by then. I hope by my Jan appt my poor little ovary decides to pull it's weight :-) My surgeon wasn't too surprised or phased by it, say it happens for some to wait before it kicks in and starts working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Ovaries shutting down

The ovaries can shut down or 'go to sleep' for a short time following a hysterectomy. It doesn't happen to everyone. I kept my ovaries and they continued to work for me.

The HysterSisters Article Ovaries Shut Down After Hysterectomy? may be helpful to you.

I wish you the very best!

Deb
Unread 12-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Ovaries shutting down

Thanks your replies are all helpful
Unread 12-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Ovaries shutting down

It is strange how some docs say one thing and other say a completely different thing. I asked mine at my pre-op that same question. His was reply was "the ovaries don't know we are operating and no that won't happen." It is very frustrating to have one be so black and white. His attitude is everything will be fine and good. Which is a good attidude but sometimes there are things that happen.

I don't get it - if there are tons of women on this site that have hormone issues following surgery then what causes it? Do they even know?
Unread 12-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Ovaries shutting down

Well, I'm not a doctor, but if you are taking out a large chunk of a system, that will probably affect the other portions of that system. That's how I think of it.

Kara
Unread 12-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Ovaries shutting down

mine didn't wake up right away either....for me the hot flashes were the worst..I would suggest getting a small handheld fan and lots of batteries on hand..

they really do quite a bit of "remodeling" and sometimes it just takes a little while for things to get working again...

don't worry....they will start working again...they just might need a nudge..
Unread 12-13-2008, 11:57 PM
Ovaries shutting down

I still have my right ovary and it took about 2 1/2 - 3 months before it finally got back to normal. I noticed the hot flashes about 2wks after my hyst. Then about a month later by boobs got really sore like before your period but stayed that way for weeks. Then one day I noticed they weren't sore anymore. My right ovary seems to be doing great now. Best of luck to you!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register