Fibroid question? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroid question? Fibroid question?

Unread 04-14-2015, 06:45 PM
Fibroid question?

I am not sure where to post this question, I am only allowed to post on certain threads as I have not yet had a hysterectomy. I was diagnosed with having uterine fibroids. One may possibly be in the uterus according to my recent ultrasound report. My question is, do All submucosal fibroids cause irregular heavy bleeding and pain in everyone who has them in that area? Right now I don't have any irregular bleeding but do have some cramping a week before my period is to start. Just worried I am going to develop lots of bleeding from this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2015, 08:12 PM
Re: Fibroid question?

I didn't have submucosal fibroids but I do know that those are the kind that typically cause extremely heavy bleeding. I had subserosal but it still caused heavy bleeding. Not extreme but enough to make my hemoglobin drop.
Unread 04-14-2015, 09:02 PM

I also have a couple subserosal fibroids as well, the biggest being 2 cm. I have been reading everywhere that the submucosal fibroids cause heavy bleeding like you said. When I asked my gyne she said not everyone has issues with them, but everywhere I read it said the submucosal ones will eventually cause severe heavy bleeding. Just wanted to see if anyone had any submucosal fibroids that did not have any heavy or irregular bleeding with them. Also, I wonder how accurate the ultrasounds are in detecting the fibroids and their locations..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2015, 09:11 PM

Well as far as accuracy I was told that I had 7 fibroids from the ultrasound each being 6.5cm. At the time of the surgery which was a month later, I had 25 fibroids. To me it wasn't accurate in saying how many but it was pretty accurate as far as the size. Most of them were at least 5cm and the 7 they saw were all 6.5cm.
Unread 04-14-2015, 10:01 PM
Fibroid question?

Ultrasounds can be pretty inaccurate in both size and number of fibroids. Ultrasounds depend a lot of the skills of the technician. If you can request an MRI you will get a much more accurate idea of what you are dealing with when it comes to your fibroids. An MRI can also help the doctors determine what your treatment options are. My MRI showed that two of mine were on stalks something that can't really be seen on the ultrasound. This in theory would make a myomectomy really easy and ruled out a UFE according to one IR. I found a second IR who was willing to do a UFE.

The MRI showed I had 3 large fibroids and potentially several more smaller ones ( the report hinted to more but did say size or how many). The ultrasound showed only two. The third was also in a problematic area which was missed altogether by the ultrasound. The MRI also showed the fibroids were significantly larger than what the ultrasound showed.
Unread 04-15-2015, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the replies ladies. I had one ultrasound a week and half ago at an emergency department and my gyne wants me to have another one in her office next week. I wonder what the point of having another ultrasound even is?? Thanks for the idea about an MRI, maybe I will see about that. I know the gyne mentioned some other test they sometimes to do see location of fibroids where they use a small tube to fill the cervix with saline water in order to get a better view of the cervix. Anyone had any test like this before?
Unread 04-15-2015, 07:16 PM

I have heard of that test too - they are still using ultrasound from my understanding to view the fibroids. The liquid just gives them a better picture. Is your doctor doing the second ultrasound? She may want to see things for herself or trusts her staff more than the ER. MRI is still going to give more information ultimately.
Unread 04-15-2015, 07:22 PM

Cramping is also a sign of adenomyosis as well. You might ask that's suspected as well. Chart your daily symptoms, adeno began to make me cramp before my period and gradually I began to have pain nearly daily as it advances. Ask lots questions
Unread 04-15-2015, 08:28 PM

I think she wants to do another ultrasound so she can see the pictures herself is my guess. I am not to interested in doing that test where they instill water into the uterus for the ultrasound. I feel it would be a waste of time, I think I would rather just have the MRI since that will give better results.

I am definitely going to be asking lots of questions. My biggest fear is all this making my IC( Interstitial cystitis) worse. IC is the most painful disease there is I believe. I mean I had 10 hours of hard labor and an emergency C-section in 1991. Then in 1996 I had a ruptured tubal pregnancy where my tube ripped in half and I almost died from all the blood loss. Those were a walk in the park compared to my IC pain.

I have noticed that in the last two years I Have had some symptoms cropping up. I have slightly pink tinged discharge that comes and goes throughout the month. I brought it up to my gyne back then when it first started and she seemed unconcerned. I always had very painful periods since I started getting my period. I will have severe cramps for the first two days and then it gets better. Well now in the last few months I have noticed the cramping starting like 8 to 10 days before my period is even due. I also have been having cramping pain that goes down my front thigh and around to my lower back. I am so worried my period will start coming earlier and earlier. I do not want to start bleeding all the time due to my IC. I get UTI's very easy, I mean super easy and they usually happen after my periods! I am unable to take most of the antibiotics they use to treat the UTI"s now due to severe adverse reactions and I am resistant to the others. It is terribly scary. Last thing I need is to start gushing blood all the time.

On my ultrasound report It said there were two subserosal fibroids seen one was Fundal LT Lateral and was 2cm, the other was anterior mid and was 1.8cm. Then there was one that was RT lateral and is 1.3 cm and is intramural vs submucosal. In the comments section it says one specifically sits adjacent to the endometrium and submucosal extension cannot be excluded. From everything I have read it says that all submucosal fibroids will eventually cause severe heavy bleeding at all times. This terrifies me. Is it true all submucosal fibroids will cause severe bleeding in all who have them?? Also do they always get larger? My guess from what I have been reading is that when an ultrasound picks up more than a couple fibroids, there usually is way more that are not being seen, is that true??

Sorry for all the questions, I am just beside myself with all the issues and the IC. My life has been a living hell this last few years. I need a break already.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register