How was your hair affected | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How was your hair affected How was your hair affected

Unread 12-31-2006, 08:55 AM
How was your hair affected

I know it's an odd question, but did the hysterectomy affect your hair and for how long?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2006, 09:30 AM

I was told by my hairdresser that your hair naturally changes about every 5 years....but also after every birth my hair changed, he assured me the hormone thing is the culprit. So I am sure that this kind of surgery won't help at all. I have also been told that my skin will change. I have been warned that more moisturizer will be needed and I need to start now.
Unread 12-31-2006, 09:34 AM

I am 44 and had a TAH w/BSO on 11/20. So far I have noticed my scalp is dryer while at times my hair seems to be oiler, my hands and face are definitely drier and my feet too. I've been using moisturizer like crazy, lotion too and then a moisturizing shampoo (since I found out a bit too late that dandruff shampoo can actually dry the scalp out more).

Another thing I noticed.....some more gray hairs.

Lesley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2006, 09:49 AM

Hair Dye works great for those... I have been dyeing my hair since my divorce over 12 years ago.....at the age of 31!!!!!!
Unread 12-31-2006, 10:15 AM

I noticed yesterday that my hair was falling more than is usual since my surgery. I did some research and learned that was normal, and that hormone shifts were indeed responsible.
Unread 12-31-2006, 10:28 AM

I just got in my "through the land of Hyster" Book in yesterday. Great reading especially at 4:30 in the morning. I just wish I had this book before my TAH. Anyway, I am amazed that these concerns I see on the message board are all addressed in the book, and this just confirms that the whole Hyster Sister support is what we all need at this time of our lives......
Unread 12-31-2006, 11:21 AM

I noticed my hair was a little drying and I was losing a few. It's back to normal now though....
Unread 12-31-2006, 12:20 PM

My hairdresser also warned me that anesthesia causes changes in your hair for a few months. She recommended extra conditioner....
Unread 12-31-2006, 12:32 PM

My hair is dry and actually frizzy for the first time ever.
My skin is reeeeeaaaally oily -- like when I was 13!!

I bought some "restorative lotion" for my hair today to try. I got it cut just before Christmas but I'm waiting for a perm and/or highlights because it's already so dry.
My face is driving me crazy though. I wash and use toner throughout the day thinking I'm over-doing it but it's just so greasy
Unread 12-31-2006, 01:56 PM

My hair started to get really thin along my forehead and on the top where my crown is. I noticed a lot falling/thinning for the first 4 weeks after surgery. I got a hair cut and new style around 6 weeks post-op, and now at nearly 10 weeks I have baby hairs growing back!!

I'm a vegetarian and wasn't getting enough protein in the beginning so I started to eat some nuts, more beans, and added a little more virgin olive oil with Omega 3's.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register