Confused and a bit scared! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Confused and a bit scared! Confused and a bit scared!

Unread 05-03-2013, 07:15 AM
Confused and a bit scared!

Im new here and have been reading up on hysto for 24 hours. I have a "floppy" lol uterus its 2 times bigger then it should be, heavy gushing 7 strait days,chronic pain with a lot of pressure on my intestines and bladder and have had abnormal paps 3 times. we tried dnc and that made my periods worse amazingly, im useless 2 &1/2 weeks a month, meds dont seem to help so we sched may 24th for a hysto leaving only my ovaries. Im scared and asking myself if I should just live with it,i didnt sleep last night because of the "what ifs" . I want to cancel then think no you can do this, ahhhh this is considered elective so that term makes me think unnecsisery. Did anyone else feel this way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2013, 08:41 AM
Re: Confused and a bit scared!

Hi Lizzietish,
I know it's scary, but hang in there. It's worth it. I had a DaVinci hyst. last week. Took out triple sized uterus and 4 huge fibroids the size of grapefruits/oranges. I was useless 2 weeks per month also, bleeding thru my clothes at work. Gross!! I was so tired all the time. I had a great experience last week, really no pain. Try to go into your surgery rested and hydrated and you will avoid headaches/nausea after anethesia. What kind of hysterectomy are you getting? All the best. pg49
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:42 AM

My uterus was around 12-14 week size and I had several fibroids including a submucosal one I named Damien. I was bleeding most days of the month and was flooding for 6 or 7 days. I was also in chronic pain. My first doctor and I discussed a hysto, but she wanted to take my ovaries (which are fine), so I resisted. After many months of dealing with all the issues, I went for a second opinion and my new doc presented several options (ablation, cryo, and hysto but keeping ovaries). After thinking it over for several weeks, I felt the hysto was the only guarantee for me that the bleeding and pain would be over once and for all. Still, once I actually had a date for the surgery, I had concerns whether I was making the right decision. (A particularly horrible period strengthened my resolve).
So, I had surgery on 4/18. Mine was a single incision (through belly button) with a vaginal removal of the uterus, cervix, and tubes. I know this is not true for everyone, but even the day after my surgery I felt better than I had in months. I was kicking myself for waiting so long to have it done. So far, my pain has been very minimal and my only real side effects have been a few bladder spasms and a little swelling down below. I only take Motrin occasionally to help with the swelling.
I know that there are no guarantees on having an easy recovery, but you seem to be suffering now with no end point in sight (without surgery) and the surgery could put an end to that suffering. I tried to think of it as short term pain for long term gain.
That being said, it is a major surgery that cannot be reversed, so you should be at peace with your decision before proceeding. You don't mention the type of procedure, but I would urge you to talk with your doctor to see if any of the less invasive surgical options (like LAVH, DVH, or SILS) would work for you.
Best wishes and (((HUGS)))) to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2013, 12:22 PM

Thank you for the encouragement it is nice to see others waffled a bit as well, we disscused ablation but felt it would on solve the bleeding issue and maybe not even permenently, hysto seems the only solution . The procedure is lap with vag assist. My mother is actually happy she said I have watched you suffer from this scince 15 yrs old, im 36 now so I guess enough is enough ! I have a fantastic support group I am also blessed with 3 amazing children and a supportive husband , my lack of sleep prob adds to the anxiety of it all!
Unread 05-03-2013, 12:36 PM

I'm 2 weeks out and don't regret it a bit! Yesterday I was washing my sheets and it dawned on me that I don't need the mattress protector any more! Lol a little thing but believe me it was a happy thought after all these years of leaking and ruining things.

Good luck, you will be fine and when you start healing you will know you did the right thing in taking care of yourself.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register