Endometrial ablation before hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometrial ablation before hysterectomy Endometrial ablation before hysterectomy

Unread 09-01-2004, 05:26 PM
Endometrial ablation before hysterectomy

Hello all pre and post hyst ladies........I have finally decided to do it after over 1 year of problems. Everything was always normal for me each month of my cycle. Then last July I began having problems.......I had pain in my abdomen, when I would sit or stand or cough, etc. it felt like everything was going to fall out! I went to my regular gyno and he found enlarged ovary, enlarged uterus, small fibroids (very small). He gave me provera so I would not start my period or any bleeding in between. It did not work. I started bleeding later in July and continued through August. He recommended a complete hyst. I did not want to do that. I went for a second opinion and was told about endometrial ablation, and the success rate that it has for women. I elected to have that done, also a DNC and had the enlarged ovary removed. That was in October. I did well from the surgery and thought everything was over. Well it only lasted until Mid Feb. then I started bleeding again. It was a lot worse than any period that I had ever had. Now I spot almost every day. So my gyno suggested I have the hyst to remove my enlarged uterus. I hope I am making the right decision. Has anyone had ablation and it did not work for them???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2004, 05:45 PM

Hi, I hear ya, my doctor had to do a D&C (emergency) and then I was great for 7 mos, (I am in menopause), then BAMM it hit me again and I flooded. Hyperplasia, fibroids, polyps. She told me I could choose to have an ablasion and warned me only a 80% approval. I read so many things about people not being successful after this surgery so I opted for a hysterectomy, I dont wish to spend the second half of my life wondering when the next flood will occur, plus worry about cancer cells in my uterine lining someday, good luck, I am sure you will make the right choice....Hugs, Denna
Unread 09-01-2004, 06:38 PM
exactly...

What you describe is me exactly too, both of you. I am going for the TAH...no guess work and further misery...no regrets!

I've known a few who had the endo. ob. and it did not work for them either. Plus, doc says it makes it harder to detect endo. cancer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2004, 07:44 PM

I tried the ablation first for heavy bleeding because I didn't want a hysterectomy. The bleeding improved somewhat, but I started spotting throughout the month even more than I had been. I also started having more trouble with my bladder and bowels, so now after another ultrasound and diagnosis of adenomyosis, I'm going for a TVH.

My coworker had an ablation which has worked great for her so far though. She wasn't bleeding real heavily, but her periods would last three weeks at a time. Now she still gets a period but it's for five days and is real light.
Unread 09-01-2004, 08:27 PM
...my research indicates...

that endometrial ablation works for excessive bleeding through build-up of the LINING of the uterus, but Adenomysis is similar to endometriosis (ie excessive endometrial tissue build-up in and around the uterus) but WITHIN the wall of the uterus...hence the descriptions of uterus' being "boggy" and enlarged. The general medical consensus is that the only "remedy" is to remove the uterus. Things I have read say that an ablation may help Bleeding for a few months, but will not stop the problem as it only treats the lining not within the walls of the uterus.
I only know all this because I was booked for an ablation, chickened out, then eventually went back when it got bad and had an ultrasound where adenomysis was diagnosed....and the above was the explanation.

xvictoria
Unread 09-03-2004, 08:32 PM
had the ablasion

Hi- I had the ablasion in July and bled two weeks after, and six weeks after. My doctor said it was 99% success. I think the surgery is so new and not many doctors do it, so it it is hard to judge if that is true. I only know of one other lady and it worked for her. Dang it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register