is sooner better | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

is sooner better is sooner better

Unread 04-09-2001, 08:12 AM
is sooner better

Hello Sisters, Do you think sooner is better for surgery once you know you need it? I go to the Dr. April 19 to talk to him about my fibroid ultrasound. But he has already said I need an abdominal Hyst. or probably will. The summer is sort of busy and I would like to wait until Aug. for surgery. I'm not sure if some of this is to avoid the inevitable. Will I be putting myself through stress I don't need if I wait. LIW and past LIW what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2001, 08:26 AM
is sooner better

I put my surgery off for reason's that were out of my control. But if there is not anything standing in your way and you have to have it done I think sooner is better. The better you will feel than waiting and suffering. Not to mention worrying about it. These are my thought's but you have to make up your own mind. In any case my thoughts and prayers are with you in making your decision and having your surgery
Unread 04-09-2001, 08:38 AM
To Wait or not to Wait

Hi,

I think that it really depends on the reason for the hyst. If you have been having problems that are interferring with your ability for a normal life, than you might want to get it over with, but if not, then waiting will give you lots of time to prepare both mentally and physically. I waited 6 weeks to have mine, and the first five weeks were spent getting everything in order, especially at work. I actually wish I had more time. I didn't spend any time worrying about it until the last week when it got closer, so I think no matter what you decide, the worry comes at the last minute. Unless of course you are prone to lots of worry, then you probably should just get it over with. This is probably a good topic to discuss with your doctor. When I found out I needed a TAH, my doctor said I should do it within 2-4 weeks. I opted to wait until 6 weeks, because my birthday was just a few days before that and I didn't want to be recovering at that time. Also, I had a lot of things to get in order at work, and had to delegate lots of my work, so that meant training others, etc., and I knew that I couldn't do it in 2 weeks. I was having heavy bleeding with my period, but not really much pain, so I didn't see a need for a rush. Also, I had been on birth control to control the bleeding and it was working, another reason why I wasn't in any rush. Like I said, much of your decision will depend on you personally and the problems that you might be having. Take care and I wish you luck with your decision.

Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2001, 11:08 AM
Tossup

Waiting is very stressful. A good reason to wait would be if later is a much, much better time for you to take the time you really need for recovery. Plan on being down for the count for minimum six weeks (sometimes slightly less for laparoscopic procedure) and a bit weak and tired for quite some time after that. If there are energetic things you've just GOT to do this summer (and you can honestly say you won't be just as busy in the fall), then it might make sense to wait rather than compromise your recovery.

Otherwise, I'd just get it over with. The waiting is the worst part.
Unread 04-09-2001, 11:45 AM
is sooner better

The waiting is a personal issue. I had decided about a week before I got into the Doc that it was time, and when I got there he agreed. We had already done everything conservative we could. I had a 4 week wait before I could be scheduled. Spring Break go in the way, and he went on vacation with his kids. So now I have a rested surgeon!

Anyway, I would not want to give up my entire summer recovering if I had a decent life and it didn't risk my life, but I have a 5 &7 year old. Also, no day care in the summer as I am a teacher.

If it won't interfere with your life, however, I will say get it over with! This has been a crazy month and I am in so much pain I cry sometimes.

Hope this helps. Let us know what the Doc says!
Unread 04-09-2001, 12:09 PM
It really is personal

For me, the waiting wasn't hard once I knew what was going to happen. I was able to put things to rest in between stages. If you can do that, and it makes no difference to your health, then I say do what is most convenient for you.

On the other hand, if your health is suffering, and your doctor wants you to do it sooner, listen and do what is right for you. Summertime might be a great time to recuperate. The ice and snow here wasn't all that fun!
Unread 04-09-2001, 03:15 PM
Do what is best for YOU

I am putting it off until August to give me the entire summer with my kids, not in bed while they're outside playing or waiting on me to get better.
I don't really need to do it sooner, other than the painful 3 more periods I'm in for, the countdown is on the way! And wetting myself when I run, but hey, I wouldn't run all summer if I was recovering anyway.
This way I can still protect myself the way I've been putting up with for months-years, now!
And I can look forward to the day in the not so far future when all is said and done and I don't have to buy Stayfree for reasons other than it's purpose, and can join an aerobics step class without going to the back of the room everytime.
So whatever works for you, putting it off 3 months works for me, and I think it's the right decision for me.
Cheryl, 32, Denver
prolapsed u/b/r

August 2001
Unread 04-09-2001, 04:03 PM
is sooner better

Thank you , Thank you , and Thank you for all your great feed back! The fact that I am in no pain makes me feel the waiting will be OK. You girls have helped me so much. I'm so glad your here whenever the doubts set in. Love having your support and experience to rely on! Dianna
Unread 04-09-2001, 04:51 PM
is sooner better

A hyster was suggested to me in Sept and I put it off until after the holidays. Like Arctic, I was able to carry on without a lot of thinking about it. I think my nerves started to hit when Christmas was over. I wasn't in any distress, however, and that would make a big difference.
In the end, I was glad about my choice because I would not have been able to "do" Thanksgiving and Christmas if I was post-op.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register