LAVH 36 hours post hysterectomy, still a lot of pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

36 hours post hysterectomy, still a lot of pain 36 hours post hysterectomy, still a lot of pain

Unread 09-16-2014, 05:23 PM
36 hours post hysterectomy, still a lot of pain

Anyone else having a hard time staying on top of the pain. It feels like a phantom uterine labor contraction that will not end. Not even morphine was touching it, in the hospital, just made me sleepy. I'm
Taking 2 Percocet 5/325 at a time, every 4 hours, and 1 prescription strength Aleve every 12 hours. My whole body is clenched cause it hurts. I can't relax.

Any ideas? Help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2014, 06:37 PM
Re: 36 hours post op, still a lot of pain

Can you call your doctor's office and ask for a different narcotic. Changing may be the solution. Know that the pain will diminish soon!
Unread 09-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Re: 36 hours post op, still a lot of pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel66 View Post
Anyone else having a hard time staying on top of the pain. It feels like a phantom uterine labor contraction that will not end. Not even morphine was touching it, in the hospital, just made me sleepy. I'm
Taking 2 Percocet 5/325 at a time, every 4 hours, and 1 prescription strength Aleve every 12 hours. My whole body is clenched causI e it hurts. I can't relax.

Any ideas? Help.
I have been praying for you and wondered how you were doing. I just saw your post -- I am sorry that you are experiencing so much pain. Did your doctor indicate any reason for this level of pain and why the meds are not taking care of it. You are on pretty heavy doses. Are you able to rest at all (did they give you anything to aid in going to sleep.) Your body needs the rest to be able to heal. I wish I could give you answers -- I am hoping someone will come behind me who has had this experience and can give you help.

Sending you lots of love and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2014, 07:19 PM
Re: 36 hours post hysterectomy, still a lot of pain

You need to call your doctor. You shouldn't be having this much pain with the doses you are taking. I agree with ((debrhodes)), a different narcotic may be the answer. Narcotics can have different effects on people and Percocet may not be the right one for you. I pray you find relief soon!
Unread 09-16-2014, 08:20 PM
36 hours post hysterectomy, still a lot of pain

I have called my doctor. And though she is an excellent surgeon, I'm finding she doesn't have the best post op skills. She had her own hysterectomy back in May, and now seems a bit like she knows the best way to recover. She was probably a bit more understanding prior to her own hysterectomy. Now that she's been through it, and sailed through her recovery, not even needing any narcotics, she seemed to imply that I wasn't in the pain I'm in. She said there wasn't anything else she could do. There were no other meds I could try. I really like her, she's a straight shooter, great at what she does, and takes time to answer and and all questions one has. But that was before surgery. I got the feeling she thought I was over reacting. But how can I be over reacting to my own experience.

Anyway, it was weird and kind of disheartening.

Also, did anyone else get really itchy on the Percocet? Or is it from the anesthesia leaving my system? I've been itchy since after my surgery.

Thanks,
Rachel
Unread 09-17-2014, 05:30 PM

I hope your pain has subsided. There is no reason why you should be suffering through this - pain medications are there for this exact reason! I would speak with your doctor again and get something stronger or a different type, like Vicodin or tramadol. I took percocet 5mg as well for the first 5 days. I then stepped down to ibuprofen 800mg and Xanax to help with anxiety. The heating pad was my best friend for the first 10 days as well! Good luck. 😊
Unread 09-17-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I have called my doctor. And though she is an excellent surgeon, I'm finding she doesn't have the best post op skills. She had her own hysterectomy back in May, and now seems a bit like she knows the best way to recover. She was probably a bit more understanding prior to her own hysterectomy. Now that she's been through it, and sailed through her recovery, not even needing any narcotics, she seemed to imply that I wasn't in the pain I'm in. She said there wasn't anything else she could do. There were no other meds I could try. I really like her, she's a straight shooter, great at what she does, and takes time to answer and and all questions one has. But that was before surgery. I got the feeling she thought I was over reacting. But how can I be over reacting to my own experience.

Anyway, it was weird and kind of disheartening.

Also, did anyone else get really itchy on the Percocet? Or is it from the anesthesia leaving my system? I've been itchy since after my surgery.

Thanks,
Rachel
Rachel
How are you doing today? Hoping your pain is getting more under control. So sorry that your doctor has that post op attitude. You are not over reacting - pain is real and this was major surgery. If you are still not getting relief, do you have a family doctor that you could consult with? There are other options than Percocet. Know that I am praying for you.

coming your way.
Unread 09-17-2014, 07:29 PM

Rachel,
Itching on Percocet? Itching can be a reaction that your doc needs to know. I couldn't take narcotics at all, they affected my breathing. I was on Ibuprofen, 600 mg. rest assure that each day is different than the day before. Hang in there.
Rest and stay down. Focus on how good it is going to be.
Hugs coming your way.

Jeannine
Unread 09-17-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfranke View Post
Rachel
How are you doing today? Hoping your pain is getting more under control. So sorry that your doctor has that post op attitude. You are not over reacting - pain is real and this was major surgery. If you are still not getting relief, do you have a family doctor that you could consult with? There are other options than Percocet. Know that I am praying for you.

coming your way.
Bkfranke,

Thank you. Yes, I am doing far better today. I found out I could take 2 of the percocets at a time and I switched from the Aleve every 12 hours to Advil every 8. Made a big difference. My bottom is so sore (with that episiotomy like repair). I have doubled up on the miralax because I know all the narcotics are constipating me. I already suffer from IBS-C. But I can't back off of the narcotics because of the pain. I'm going to hope and pray that the first #2 won't be horrible.

Rachel
Unread 09-18-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Bkfranke,

Thank you. Yes, I am doing far better today. I found out I could take 2 of the percocets at a time and I switched from the Aleve every 12 hours to Advil every 8. Made a big difference. My bottom is so sore (with that episiotomy like repair). I have doubled up on the miralax because I know all the narcotics are constipating me. I already suffer from IBS-C. But I can't back off of the narcotics because of the pain. I'm going to hope and pray that the first #2 won't be horrible.

Rachel
So glad to hear that you are doing better and the pain is under control. Sometimes it is trial and error (did you every wonder why we use that phrase) to get the right dosage and the right mix.

I understand about the soreness -- my doctor said she would repair whatever the doctor who delivered by kids botched. She did and it definitely was sore. A nurse friend told me about Witch Hazel and it really helped. I used it after every time I peed and then inbetween when I needed to. Ahh . . relief. It may help you. I also used a sitz bath with warm water.

Have you had success yet? I was concerned to because of the amount of rectocele and enterocele repair I had done. I did the Miralax , colace (softener) and remember, drink plenty of water. Walking will help in the process too.

Don't let anybody send you on a guilt trip about having to double up on the meds. Well meaning people will not understand how different pain is for each one of us.

Hoping today was another good day for you. Keep us informed on how you are doing. So glad you are this side.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register