what to pack | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-16-2004, 01:05 PM
what to pack

Hi, Ladies!

I'm still a few weeks till my surgery, but I'm a worrier, and a planner. I know this subject has bound to have been discussed, but I must have missed it.

I'm having a TAH and possible BSO depending on what Dr. finds.
I'm wondering about vaginal discharge, or bleeding during post-op recovery. Will I need pads at home? At the castle?

I know about the tummy pillow for the ride home, and the walks at the castle, and the lip balm/chapstick. Anything else i should make sure to take or have at home?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2004, 01:46 PM
what to pack

Donna,
What I took with me was:

short nightgowns (but pj's would be fine)
a few pair of underwear
a robe
slippers
blow dryer
comb/brush; toothbrush/toothpaste; shampoo
magazine
portable CD player and cd's
The clothes I wore in were the ones I wore home, so I carefully planned that (no jeans or tight pants)

The Castle supplied me with pads and anything else I needed.
The pillow would have been good for me on the ride home, but I did not know about that.....so I suffered the bumps on the road home.
Unread 10-16-2004, 02:11 PM
what to pack

I would bring your own pads, my hosp only had the old chasity belt types.
Helpful hint...after your shower...put the pad on your panty first, before putting panties on. I needed a bit of help to get them pulled up.
I highly, I mean highly recomend a water bottle! I was dying of thirst, and pretty much horizontal...made much easier.
Once I was up and moving, I got out of the pj's and had real comfy pants, t-shirt and oversized sweat shirt, and wore very comfy slip on shoes.

walk as often as you can, and then walk again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2004, 02:37 PM
what to pack

Hi Donna,
The panties I took to the castle were cotton briefs 2 sizes larger than usual, for comfort. I also took socks, hospital was very chilly. I took my own bath gel and after shower spray, having my favorite scent was a plus.

At home I had Gas X, stool softners and tylenol pm. I was very nauseas the first week after surgery so I could not live without jello cups, fruit juices, water and chicken broth. I only used pads for 2 days at home because of light spotting.

Don't forget:
Hairbrush, tooth brush, tooth paste, deodorant and wash cloth or bath sponge.

Hope this helps. Take Care!!
Unread 10-16-2004, 02:58 PM
what to pack

Other than my toiletries, I took more stuff to the castle than I needed. I was only there 2 days and one night, so did not need most of what I brought. I wore comfortable clothes and slip on shoes to the hospital, and wore the same home. The hospital furnished pads, slipper socks, stretchy panties and gowns, but I did use my own fleece robe for the walks in the hallway. I used my chapstick, but did not feel up to reading, games or writing thank you notes while I was in the castle. The time there went quickly, and I didn't even watch any tv the day of my surgery. I mostly rested, even though I did not sleep much. Praying that all goes well for you. Carol
Unread 10-16-2004, 03:18 PM
what to pack

Thanks!

Thanks for all the helpful responses! I feel like I will be well prepared, and for me, that's the only way to avoid just breaking down with a case of nerves!!!

Hugs to all those who went before, and prayers for all those to follow!
Unread 10-16-2004, 04:42 PM
what to pack

I was glad to have packed two bags of snack pretzels and a can of soda since the staff sometimes were overburdened and what they brought was yuck anyway. Wish I had brought hard candies cause they really restrict anything by mouth for 24 hours and the parching got to me even tho I never eat candies. Wish I had 'em.

What you didn't ask was what to have at home...please buy gas x, dried prunes, prune juice, frozen meals, bland soups, crackers, even hard candies. YOU WILL BE CONSTIPATED. Talk to doc before surgery and put a plan into place...hurting from that and pushing against stitches really is frantically bad at 4am Sunday morning. It always happens at the most inopportune times. And laugh when it happen and remember we told you so don't freak out. Nobody, yet, I think, ever exploded!

Don't plan on having the ability to go to the store for two to three weeks. I am a planner, too, and I was thrilled I had enough household toilet paper, laundry and dishwasher detergent, shampoo, animal foods. My hubby had so much extra work with me being out of commission that the luxury of not needing to get these things were a great help to him. Change the sheets the last thing before you go...it may be awhile before they get changed again since you won't be able to do it and your caretakers will have lots to do. Also, have loose fitting string waist pants ready for home. While I can fit into my jeans, they feel too rigid for lounging at home, and jammies all the time depressed me. Yoga pant are great for me and I'm glad a splurged and bought three pair post-op.

I was VERY happy to have balanced my checkbooks before surgery since when the time came to pay bills, I would have been too mentally foggy for that task. For some weird reason, mental fog stays around a long time from this. I thought "not me" but it was me, indeed. I said a silent "thank you" to myself when bill time came around when I could just fly off from those good pre-op balances I made. It was a Godsend and peace of mind.

Good luck, and tust us all, waiting is absolutely the wrst part.
Unread 10-16-2004, 04:54 PM
what to pack

jdec1,

Again, thanks for the info. I will have my 2 teen boys to drive around for me and get stuff when not in school. My DD (also a teen) will be around and spoiling me. But the best thing is that my DH will be around for 4 days post-op and maybe more if he can swing it. He has been wonderful through all this, unlike so many others. I am truly blessed. I try to be prepared so he can stay with me, but he thinks I'm just stressing, and tells me not to "worry so much"

I am just ready for all this to be over.

Question: Did anyone else feel like they were PMSing while waiting for surgery? I know depression can set in post op if ovaries are taken out, but I have no excuse I guess. I'm soooo grouchy, and I have no patience for anything, or anyone except my family! Guess I'm more stressed than I thought!

Thanks again!
Unread 10-16-2004, 06:30 PM
what to pack

Donna,

I was so grouchy pre op I'm embarrased now. But this is normal! I guess I felt angry for the upcoming loss of my womb. I even had thoughts of designing a bumper sticker that said "Be kind, I'm having a Hysterectomy Soon"

I think part of my anger/frustration was because of the stress of the unknown and what ifs. Sometimes I even would have welcomed a little pity from co-workers and friends but it's not like they knew what was going on....Just be patient with yourself. The waiting is the hardest part.

Unread 10-16-2004, 09:25 PM
what to pack

Hi, I know what you mean on being prepared. I had a month of waiting to prepare for mine and I think I overpacked. I don't recommend any pj's cuz you will be in the hospital gown and you will not feel up to changing. I brought my robe but it didn't matter cuz I used another gown and said the heck with it. I had slip on socks but the hospital provided slippers for me. I brought toiletries but the hospital once again provided me with toothpaste etc. The nurse warmed up these bath wipes for me to clean up. I brought a CD player and books... which was ok except I would doze off. I do recommend hard candies and a water bottle. Basically I only got out of bed to walk and to go potty. Other than that, I was pretty much out of it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register