Preoccupied but trying to stay calm | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Preoccupied but trying to stay calm Preoccupied but trying to stay calm

Unread 02-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Preoccupied but trying to stay calm

I join this site a week or so ago and read it daily. I figured it was time I said hello and thanked you all for your questions and answers. There are so many things I never even thought of before finding this site.

I am schedualed for my surgery next week and my mind just doesn't stop working. I feel so preocupided with all the questions and concerns. I want to be productive in the next week but seem to be having a hard time doing it. Does anyone else feel the same way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2006, 07:01 PM

Constantly deandean. I constantly think about my upcoming surgery. I try not to talk too much to my friends and family about it because they are sick of hearing about it. When it's over I don't know what I will think about because I've been obsessing about this for so long. There are so many worries and concerns and it's such a big decision to make. I wish my brain had a switch so I could just switch it off and give myself a break! You aren't alone in feeling this way, it seems we all do.
Betty
Unread 02-21-2006, 06:53 AM

Hi, I can remember having a lot of my time and energy being used on worrying about my upcoming surgery. I think that it's pretty normal - it can be a big and scary decision. I found that staying busy helped me a lot. My house was cleaner than it had been for awhile. I also used a bit of the time to treat myself to a little fun too. I enjoyed a movie and lunch with friends, had nice long baths, soothing music. I shopped for easy to heat and eat foods for my recovery. It kept me busy and helped ease tha stress too

Best wishes, in there.

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2006, 08:11 AM

I feel the same way. I've never had surgery before and I can't stop thinking about it, and finding things to worry about. I just need to let it go and trust that everything will be fine. That's easier said than done, though. I think I'm going to try and straighten things up around the house for a while- maybe that'll help!
Unread 02-21-2006, 01:56 PM
Thanks!

I really need to focus on the cleaning and organizing. They are great suggestions thank you!!

The hard part is over-coming the ADHD feeling that is hitting me harder then ever. I am glad to hear I am not alone in these feelings.
Unread 02-21-2006, 02:03 PM

I feel exactly the same as all the ones who have replied so far. I cross my calendar every day with my countdown (20 days to go today), I go on this site while I'm at work because I just can't concentrate
My boss must think I am busy and quiet because I can spend a few hours just reading all the posts. LOL. I agree with Betty, can't speak about it too much to family and friends - they are getting tired of it. Thanks to our sisters on this site and best of luck to you all. Frenchie
Unread 02-21-2006, 03:40 PM

I just love having this site! I know what you mean about not being able to talk to people at home.... I close the screen when my DH walks in because he thinks I am obsessed. I like to know everything there is to know ahead of time. He thinks it's no big deal. Whatever! Glad I have you guys!
Unread 02-21-2006, 04:01 PM

Hang in there my beautiful sisters! Before you know it, your surgery will be done, and you all will be home recovering. What helped me in the weeks leading up to my surgery was staying in the word. I read all the short books in the bible: Ecclesiastes, Job, etc., and found peace in my quiet reading. I'm offering up a special prayers for all of you for a successful surgery and a speedy, pain-free recovery!

"He'll keep you in perfect peace if you keep your mind on Him."
Unread 02-21-2006, 06:31 PM

Hi Deandean! You are so not alone in this. I haven't even got a date yet (called the Dr. and all I found out is it won't be in March , not likely until April) but I find that this is all I can think about. I have 2 hrs travel time for work and the mind races-I review past periods and how things are getting worse to try to justify it in my head; I go over what I'm going to say to co-workers once I get my date; I already have a list started as to what to ask at pre-op and a list for what to pack to bring to the castle (the ladies here have some great ideas-check previous posts and/or archives). All kinds of stuff-goes around and around in circles. Doing constructive things like the lists helps (I'm a big list person)because then you can write it and put it out of your head. The ladies here too have ideas on how to set up at home for recovery (another previous posts/archives thing) but you could also work on that. This way at least though your mind is on this, you can be doing something constructive with the thoughts. And spend time on here--somebody's bound to be able to help you! Even if it is just listening because everybody else is tired of hearing about it, we aren't and will let you vent.
Unread 02-21-2006, 07:03 PM

Making lists is a great idea, that way when you head into the castle, you know things are done.
I got my date in July for October so I had lots of thinking time. I worked hard at putting it on the back burner and continued with our lifestyles without obsessing on my surgery. DH and I had many conversations about how he felt about it, how things were going to be post-op, pain management, narcotics use etc. I showed him pictures of the surgery.
During this time I also set up my "recovery crafts", made my Christmas gift list and made sure I had all my supplies together. I premade some meals (more for him to eat while I was in hospital).
My house was clean, even pulled all the furniture away from the walls and vacuumed under the bed and behind the computer desk! Make sure all the laundry is done, including all the bedding and towels.
Make sure you spend some time on you, get a manicure/pedicure/wax. Get a massage. I spent HOURS in the wool shop close to my home, just looking at patterns and wool (and picking up what I needed for gifts).
This website is always here and I do believe someone is here at any given time to give you a little support boost or shoulder to cry on whenever you need it. I think this is the only place you know you can go and no one will say - do you have to ALWAYS talk about it?
Hopefully your wait won't be too long
Autumn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register