Pain management | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain management Pain management

Unread 04-08-2002, 02:31 PM
Pain management

Im curious has to what everyone used in the recovery room and after and what worked and what didnt. Im really uptight about this as the surgery gets closer i get more nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2002, 02:56 PM
Hi

WJE, Hi, I just had my surgery on the 20th. I had an abdominal incision TAH with BSO both tubes and overies removed and a bladder suspension. When I came out of recovery and was in my room for about an hour I made them take me off the morphine pump and give me shots in my IV. The morphine pump just didnt work to keep me out of pain long enough at a time. I mean you have to push the button every ten minutes and it just gives you so much pain medication at a time. The shots were much better. Then the next afternoon a nurse came to me and said if I took the pain pills they actually worked better because they keep you pain free longer. The shot I got every two hours but it just lasted about an hour. The pills I got every 3 hours and they lasted till the next dose. My incision is about 12 inches long. Some people aren't cut as big, and some people have it done vaginally. I'm still sore, and still moving slow but I'm feeling much better. Goodluck to you and Blessings in Christ, Mikki Jo
Unread 04-08-2002, 03:18 PM
Pain management

I also thought the pills were better. I was hitting the morphine pump so many times, I thought they'd take it away.

I don't even remember the recovery room except for the nurse who asked me how I felt and I told her in surprise that my back didn't hurt. You won't have to worry about pain meds there, you'll still be full of anesthesia and morphine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2002, 03:22 PM
I loved my spinal/epidural

I had a spinal for surgery and epidural (same site) that stayed in for post op pain relief and I didn't have to worry about waking up to push a button. I had NO pain and would go the same way again. I know some ladies have had general for surgery and epidural was placed in while they were asleep so when they woke up they had no pain. Although I was awake the whole time the puncture from the spinal needle wasn't even half as bad as the I.V. since they numb the area up first. Wish they would do that with an I.V. You read my story at this link.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=41676
Unread 04-08-2002, 09:35 PM
WJE

I had The TVH Total vaginal hysterectomy with bladder repairs

I did not feel my I V when it went in
I do not remember going into the OR
I do not remember waking up in the recovery room
the only thing I do remember is waking up in my very own room with my family around me and then a nurse came in and gave me some pain med in my I V and I was back out like a light that is all I remember and I would not have had it anyother way as this was my first surgery of any kind the pain med I got in my I V I think I got it about every two hours and my nurse just came in and gave it to me I didn't have to ask for it untill the next day then they came took out the I V and started me on pain pills
that were good so I didn' t even have any pain at all
I hope this helps ease your mind some
Unread 04-09-2002, 06:36 AM
Morphine Pump & note to Mikki Jo

I had the morphine pump but hated it, mainly because it made me itch terribly and didn't really control pain, just made me loopy. I really did not have any major pain, but I had pushed the button in my anesthetic state I guess because the nurses had to come in and reset it once. The next day they took it out and I was on pain pills (lortab) from then on. Since then, it's mostly advil and an occassional lortab at night. Discuss it with your doctor and anesthesiologist so you and they can come to the best pain management possible for you.

Mikki Jo, so glad to see you post on here!! I have been looking for you and I guess I've missed seeing a post from you. Been thinking about you since we were surgery sisters. Glad to hear you are doing so well!!
Unread 04-09-2002, 06:49 AM
Pain management

I, too had the pump...I used demerol because morphine makes me itch. I don't care for the pump. You have to keep pushing the button so it's hard to get any decent sleep. I didn't have the pump too long because my IV infiltrated and it had to be removed. After that I was on pills..percocet. They were every four hours and I had to ask for them. They actually worked for only three hours. Good luck to you...

Darla
TAH/BSO
Unread 04-09-2002, 07:03 AM
Pain management

I had the morphine pump for 24 hours. I never experienced any major pain, mild discomfort maybe. I kept pushing the button because everyone said don't let the pain get ahead of you. It doesn't matter how much you push, it will only give you so much every so often. I started experimenting with it, I could tell by the sound if it was really giving me anything or just recording the push of the button. I think it was every 5 minutes or so that I would actually get some.

After they took it away I was on percocet. Again, since I had been told not to let the pain get ahead of the medication, everytime they offered them to me I took them. I went home with a script for 30, only used about half of them, and then it was at night only. After about a week I switched to Advil.

The percocet does cause constipation. Trust me that was the worst part of the whole surgry and recovery. Two days I was miserable because of the constipation. Now everything is working great!
Unread 04-09-2002, 08:19 AM
Pain management

I had the morphine pump which I could get the drug every 7 minutes..I think that she told me I needed to push the button more cuz I was going so long without any meds..They did give me a shot of morphine when i first got tom y room I hated being so drugged up But at nite I could not sleep so I pushed it more to get some sleep The pump was gone by 7 Am and I took 1 vicodin ..didnt need that much..I had TVH..
Unread 04-09-2002, 10:20 AM
Pain management

We are all different. Thank goodness there are lot's of options for us.
I had the pump and it worked really well for me. I had no nausea and very little itching. My horizontal incision was 6 inches (I just measured it.) I had the pump in for 4 days in the hospital. But I started tapering off on how many times I used it after about 2 days. I had a prescription for Darvaset and only needed to use it once after I got home.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register