Less than 2 weeks now and too much to think about...freaking out | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Less than 2 weeks now and too much to think about...freaking out Less than 2 weeks now and too much to think about...freaking out

Unread 07-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Less than 2 weeks now and too much to think about...freaking out

So officially hit the less than 2 weeks mark now and I am starting to freak out for several reasons.

* I do not have sleepwear for the hospital (I'm a t-shirt and panties girl)
* Need slippers - hate slippers.
* upcoming weekend I am rearranging my room and cleaning the carpets and reorg the closet - yuk!
* Have to call insurance company because the dr office screwed up the benefits verification even though I told them what to do 20 million and 1 times.
* trying to think what all I need to bring with me to castle - and I keep drawing blanks eventhough I read the lists 20 times.
* Thinking about what in the world I am going to do while I am recovering I know I am going to bored.
* Terrified thinking about getting cut open and waking up from surgery.
*Generally just FREAKING OUT

Stephanie
TAH 7/20 remove uterus/cervix keep ovaries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2007, 08:46 PM

Hey, okay, first we have to calm you down Second, pack BIG old navy men's t-shirts, forget panties, I wasn't allowed to wear any. Next pack, an IPOD, lipgloss, hair brush, face clothes, gum, hard candy etc in a small bag that can hang from the bedrails. Third, pick a TV series that you never watched and get the DVD set to watch about the second week. I picked Grey's Anatomy..total addict now. You will get bored on occassion so come back and post in the recovery forum for your week of surgery. You will make some great friends here. Take care and best of luck!
Unread 07-08-2007, 09:08 PM

Its ok. You are having your meltdown moment (be glad, I had mine at work!)

I've added my comments below yours,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanari
So officially hit the less than 2 weeks mark now and I am starting to freak out for several reasons.

-I just wore their gowns (they wrapped around just fine). I had taken a gown and a capri PJ set but the day I 'cared' to change, was the day I went home. I was glad too, the first night I coughed and my incision weeped. It would have ruined my new PJ's.
- My hospital requires you wear these socks with grip strips on the bottom. I just wore those. My team had gotten me slippers but I never wore them.
* upcoming weekend I am rearranging my room and cleaning the carpets and reorg the closet - yuk!
- Be realistic about your projects. Getting things done can be very liftting, you feel in control. Taking on too much has the opposite effect.
* Have to call insurance company because the dr office screwed up the benefits verification even though I told them what to do 20 million and 1 times.
- This is a pain but is a good thing to be able to 'check off the list' in 25 minutes or less.
* trying to think what all I need to bring with me to castle - and I keep drawing blanks eventhough I read the lists 20 times.
- I took a lot with me. I used:
1. Chapstick
2. Eyeglass Case (Hardshell)
3. Pen
4. People Mag (I couldn't 'read' but short comments were ok)
5.Toothbrush/Paste
6. Hairbrush
7. Peppermint Tea Bags (Gas - Helps hot or room temp)
* Thinking about what in the world I am going to do while I am recovering I know I am going to bored.
- I woke with an abominal incision and was so scared. It was hard but ok. The first 72 hours are rough, you just have to know they will pass by. The 1st time out of bed is the worst time out, you just have to know, the next time will be easier.
- Don't try to be a hero about pain. Stay on top of you pain meds. If your on a pump, hit it when you think you need it, don't wait to see if you really need it. If you are on oral pills and they ask if you want them, say 'yes'. Pain is best managed sitting on top of the wave, if the wave builds it is harder to get back up there.
- This surgery is so overwhelming. Part of the problem is all the unknowns, it would be easier the second time but we only do this once.

Any specific questions, feel free to ask or PM me.

Julie

Stephanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2007, 08:37 AM

First, it sounds like you need one of these ....

The other (((sisters))) have given you some great help, here -- I'll just add my for what it's worth.

In retrospect, I could have packed for the in a large ziplock bag. I let the hospital do the laundry and wore their gowns, which was a good thing because I would have never been able to negotiate the IV tubes with my own stuff. Couldn't wear my own slippers -- I had to use the hospital-issue slippers with the grippers on the bottom for liability reasons.

As far as housework prep goes, just get done what you can get done. I wouldn't worry about cleaning all the carpets unless someone was coming in to do it for me. Whatever really needs to get done will get done, and what doesn't get done will get done later.

As far as freaking out about waking up and being in pain, etc.... we've all been there. For me, it helped to "futurize" the experience. Instead of worrying about how I'd feel when I woke up (over which I really had no control anyway ), I said to myself, "Just think -- in a few weeks the surgery will be over..." and stuff like that. You may wake up in pain or you may not, but worrying about it now isn't going to change anything. And if you wake up and it's not too bad (as many sisters report), you will have wasted a whole lot of energy worrying about something that didn't happen.

to you. Just do your best to relax (I know, easier said than done) and keep on keeping on. in there.
Unread 07-09-2007, 09:39 AM

Thank you all so much for the advice and ecspecially the pj delimma that helps so much I will stick to the hospital garb it just sounds easier.

I am so glad I have this site to go to and so if my family

thank you darlings
Unread 07-09-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanari

Stephanie
Stephanie - Don't spend your money to purchase sleepwear or slippers for the hospital, you don't need to....unless of course you want to & it makes you feel better. I sleep in boxers/camisole's, no night gowns for me. No need to stain or ruin any of your own things. However, I wore the standard issue hosp gown they give you. I am glad, since I dripped/spilled drinks down my chest among other things. Also, they will give you the stretchy mesh underwear to wear for pads. It will not be tight on your abdomen. As far as slippers, hospitals will give you booties with tread on the bottom, so your feet will be warm & you will be able to walk without slipping. Just bring something comfortable & EASY to put on to wear home or wear what you are going to wear when you report in for surgery. I wore very loose comfortable shorts & a comfortable sleeve-less shirt, and flip flops. Best of luck to you!!

Lizzie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register