Fatigue at 12 weeks post op-Normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fatigue at 12 weeks post op-Normal? Fatigue at 12 weeks post op-Normal?

Unread 06-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Fatigue at 12 weeks post op-Normal?

I haven't been on here in awhile because quite frankly, I only feel like going to work and then coming to bed. I was hoping I would feel a lot better by now. The fatigue is so bad that my muscles hurt. Anyone else experience fatigue 12 weeks post op (had TAH BSO March 24)? Just feeling down tonight about it and hoping I get better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Re: Fatigue at 12 weeks post op-Normal?

Hello Luv2walk...for me....I totally was unprepared for how long it would take to get my strength back. That has to be the worsted part of my recovery. I would get so tired my body would ache and I would have to take some advil and go to bed. It was around 3 months that things started turning around for me....but we are all different. There is no hysterectomy the same. Try to hang in there a while longer. I'm at 6 months now.....and doing great.
Unread 06-11-2009, 08:25 PM

I feel the same way. I go to work and come home feeling exhausted. I have a desk job, so it's not that I'm on my feet all day. I haven't been able to sleep through the night, so that also has a lot to do with it for me. I'm just trying to think positive and hope to feel better soon. I've been hearing it takes at least 3 full months. You had your surgery 3 days after me. Is your abdomen still swollen? Mine hasn't gone down like I thought it would.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2009, 05:49 AM

Hi Ladies,

Yes I think were all in the same boat, I have a desk job also and by the time I get my 8 hours in I'm wipped but doc
said it would take time to get the energy level back up. But my goodness.
Unread 06-12-2009, 07:41 AM

Yes, my abdomen is still very swollen too. I am now going to a physical therapist and she said I need to start rubbing oil into the incision area to losen up the scar tissue. I'm going to start that tonight. I too have a desk job so it feels so weird to be so fatigued. I am also having extreme hot flashes at night after I go to sleep so that's probably not helping.

It is nice to get feedback and hear that this is normal in the recovery path. Thank you to everyone! I've also been told by some that it can take up to six months. I am grateful at least to be on this side of recovery and to be able to work.
Unread 06-12-2009, 10:02 AM

I had a TVH/BSO - are you on hormone replacement? I started going through menopause about a year before my surgery, and had a terrible time with fatigue, insomnia, night sweats and hot flashes.

I am 40 and started on estrace the night after my surgery. I am on a very low dose, but I just had my 6 wk post op and feel MUCH better than before the surgery, even with the surgical pain and fatigue. Might want to check with your dr - mine told me to let him know if I had any increase in symptoms because it can take months to figure out what the right hormone level is for you.
Unread 06-12-2009, 10:10 AM

Yes, I started hormone replacement at 6 weeks post op. My surgeon wanted me to wait that long because I had severe endometriosis, and he said because it couldn't be 100 percent sure that he got it all, I needed to wait on the hormone replacement. I have only been on the full dose for maybe 1 or 2 weeks (guess I need to start writing this down so I can remember what to tell the doc). Maybe after I get my hormones back to level, I'll feel better. Thanks for the feedback!
Unread 06-12-2009, 04:58 PM

I went back to work at 8 weeks and it was all I could do to get through the day, get home and then rest until bed time before getting up and starting over again the next day.

It took almost 5 months before I could manage to do anything for one evening a week and 6 months before I could make weekend plans.

I am sure that some of this is down to the body still going through the healing process and it also took a long while to find the right HRT balance for me.

I honestly didn't believe that it would take 6-8 weeks for initial healing and 6-12 months for full recovery but i do now!
Unread 06-12-2009, 05:29 PM

I'm 7 weeks post-op and I get tired. This week we have hubby's aunt's dogs here (they are really big dogs) and they are tiring me out. Since I have to watch them and hubby hasn't helped me out with them. We have 2 small dogs ourselves. I just can't handle this stress with 2 big dogs. Told hubby today please help around the house. I can't pull the dog since he is about 100 lbs. And I'm about 78 lbs. Don't want a hernia. I want to be stress free, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Thinking about taking a vacation.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register