Scheduled TAH Getting nervous... Should I backout??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting nervous... Should I backout??? Getting nervous... Should I backout???

Unread 01-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Getting nervous... Should I backout???

Hello everyone,
I am new to all of this...kind of. I am scheduled for a TAH on Tuesday, feb 2, due to a complex ovarian cyst. This will be my fourth surgery due to cysts, but obviously will be my last. I am 39, will be 40 in March. All of this started when I was 24. I had "simple" right ovarian cyst removed at that tme because it kept getting bigger and wouldn't resolve. They kept my ovary, as I had no children at the time. I had 2 kids, (both c-sections, one when I was 27, one at 30) Then when I was 32, had more pelvic pain, and Dr. thought that I probably had adhesions due to all the surgeries, so had a laprascopy to remove adhesions, but when he looked around in there, saw a "huge" cyst on left ovary and drained it. Then 2 years ago, had MORE pelvic pain, left side, and ultrasound showed a complex cyst, and radiologist said could not rule out cancer. So had my left ovary removed. I then wanted a TAH, but Dr. said I was too young to go into menopause. I told him to put in a zipper, because I was sure I would be back!! Fast forward to now, right before Christmas, started to have right sided pelvic pain, and knew right away what it was... Sure enough a complex cyst on RIGHT ovary!! Dr. said this time it wasn't "as" complex as the one on the left, and it as a lot smaller, 2cm. He said we could watch and wait for 1 month, or go ahead with TAH, it was up to me. I decided to wait and see, but after a couple of days of my decision, I couldn't handle the pain, and the "not knowing" if it really was benign or not, so I changed my mind and decided to have the surgery, to which I was sooo glad about until the last 2 days, since the pain has REALLY subsided. I think it is still there, but maybe getting smaller??? Anyway, on one hand, don't EVER want to go through this again... on the other I am REALLY worried about the surgery, and entering into surgical menopause... ANY ADVICE is APPRECIATED! Sorry to be so long winded... but had to tell whole story... Thanks
Kerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Re: Getting nervous... Should I backout???

I'm with you about the menopause. I am so worried about having to go thru menopause at such a young age. I don't have a date set yet for my hysterectomy, but the thought of it scares me.
Unread 01-27-2010, 07:21 PM

I think it's normal to be nervous. I am 48 and had my surgery 15 days ago. I had a TVH, BSO, AP repair and bladder lift. My doctor told me to expect menopause symptoms 2 days after surgery. However, the only symptom I have had so far is a few hot flashes now and then. Nothing I haven't been able to tolerate, and it usally comes in the evening and during the night. I am hoping it stays this way. I actually feel so much better than I did preop and hope that stays as well. I do not feel moody (actually I think I was moodier before), haven't had the headaches (keeping my fingers crossed that those stay away as well), and have not had menopausal symptoms except for the hot flashes that I notice. I am not on any type of hormones because my doctor was afraid to put me on anything because of a previous blood clot. However, she ran some blood tests and has said I could go on HRT's if I felt the need. I am going to have to get a lot worse before I even consider it unless someone can convince me I need them. I know there are doctors who put a "patch" on women post op to help avoid some of the symptoms, but I can tell you that I'm glad mine didn't. Everyone is different. You have a right to be scared. However, the degree of symptoms varies as you will see on the postop side. I wish you both the best of luck with your surgery and recovery. I was scared too, but am very happy now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2010, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the uplifting reply!!! I was wondering about those patches. But I know everyone is different. I like that you are not moody anymore, there is hope that it might be the opposite--- NO moodiness anymore!!! Thanks!
Unread 01-28-2010, 01:07 PM

I actually never realized how moody I was until after the surgery. I had a uterine ablation in 2002 and haven't had a period since 6 months after that, but had all the symptoms as if I were having a period not to mention the mid-month pain. I could honestly tell a difference the day after my surgery (I was really out of it the day of my surgery). I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders that I didn't even realize existed as much as it did. I was also very mentally prepared (except for the nervousness the few daysprior to surgery) to have this surgery, and I think that helped. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register