realistic expectations of when to begin my business again. I have an in-home daycare | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

realistic expectations of when to begin my business again. I have an in-home daycare realistic expectations of when to begin my business again. I have an in-home daycare

Unread 11-16-2003, 01:05 AM
realistic expectations of when to begin my business again. I have an in-home daycare

My surgery is scheduled for Monday, November 17th @ 11:30 a.m. EST. It is now 2:56 A.M. and I can't sleep, again. I began my LAST period on Tuesday and am just getting over having a two day migraine, a very heavy time, and cramping that I will not miss. I run an in-home daycare and have a fill-in for the next 8 weeks. My doctor told me he doesn't want me lifting anything over two pounds for 6 weeks and I cannot drive for at least two weeks or ride in a car for that long. He said I can't get back to my regular routine for at least 8 weeks. The kids I care for range in ago from 5 months to twelve years, my daughter being the twelve year old, who incedently broke her right foot and sprained the right ankle 1 1/2 weeks ago and in now on crutches! What should I expect from those that have been there and what is the length of time sitting (at a computer, sewing, reading, etc.) recommended. I don't want to sit too long and have scar tissue attach where it should not, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated. By the way, I'm having a Radical Laproscopic A ssisted Vaginal procedure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2003, 07:37 AM
realistic expectations of when to begin my business again. I have an in-home daycare

Pgms

I had SAH/BSO and was off work for 5 1/2 weeks. I then went back half shifts. The second night I was at work, I had to leave even earlier than I was scheduled for...was just too tired and sore to stay the last 1 1/2 hours. At 7 weeks I went back to working full shifts (12 1/2 hours) and tomorrow (10 1/2 weeks) I will start regular duty. I work in jail, dealing with inmates. The job involves being on your feet for 12 hours, can be stressful and can become very physical without warning.

The doc put me on light duty because of a seroma, where my incision split. He said once it was healed, I could go back to regular duty. In a way, I'm glad that happened because I feel ready physically to go back to working the floors. My stamina isn't quite what it used to be, but that's because I'm not up doing my old work-out routine....but I'm working on it and improving.

I didn't drive until I was 3 weeks post op, but wasn't comfortable for another week or so. Sitting is an activity and it was painful/uncomfortable to do much more than 20-30 minutes at first, but improved quickly.

With a LAVH, your external healing won't be as long, but your insides will need that 6 week healing time. Listen to your doctor. So many Sisters are given unrealistic healing times of 2 or 3 weeks. It sounds like your doctor is pretty much on par with how long it takes to feel "human" again.

Best wishes for an uneventful castle visit and a speedy painfree recovery
Unread 11-16-2003, 10:20 AM

pgms,
I was really interested in your post since in work in a daycare and I was wondering the same thing. I work with 10 toddlers (18 months to 3 years) and my doctor took me out of work on the 6th. I just couldn't keep up with my duties because the constant lifting to change diapers was too much for me. I have also been bleeding all the time. The doctor put me on progesterone for 10 days which did stop my bleeding for about 7 days. I took my last dose on Friday morning and today the bleeding has started up again. Lucky me!! I'm scheduled for a LAVH/BSO on Nov. 24th, but my doctor thinks he is going to have to do a TAH due to the size of my uterus. I will have a better idea after my preop on Thursday. I told my boss not to expect me back to work for 8 weeks, because I'm really worried about the physical demands of my job. I'm sure that you know what I'm talking about!! I would like to keep in touch with you to compare notes and see how things are working out for you. Best of luck to you!!
Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2003, 10:43 AM

Hi

I take care of my grandson during the day while my daughter is at work. He was 9 months old the day I had surgery. My mom came every day to help since I couldn't lift him. After I was able to get down on the floor (about 2-3 weeks post op) I spent a lot of time down there with him. That way I didn't have to lift him, but he could be close to me. I changed him there, fed him, etc. The first time I lifted him was a mistake, I mean I wasn't thinking, just picked him up, was around 4 weeks and it really was a mistake. I didn't do that again until my DR gave me the ok, then I started out slowly.

Even as late as 6 weeks I needed a nap most afternoons; when I got back to "real life" (when DR gave me the ok at 7 weeks) I did it gradually, but if I did too much I would be exhausted and need to rest.

It is a good idea to take lots of little walks around the house right from the beginning. At first that will probably consist of going to the bathroom and back.

Best wishes!
Unread 11-16-2003, 07:30 PM

I'm so glad you posted this question. I, too, am a family child care provider. My daycare children range from 8 months-5 years old. Since my surgery is the week before Christmas, I'll be closed the week of Christmas and most of the following week. That week my sister is helping for two days. In January I'll have in home help so I don't have to close down my daycare for an extended period of time. I simply can't afford to close that long. I'm hoping I'll be able to heal quickly. I'm being cautious though. I won't do anything to cause internal damage.
Lisa
Unread 11-16-2003, 07:53 PM
daycare realistic return...

Thanks to everyone that responded to my inquiry! There are others out there like me! I was fortunate to find someone (just down the street) to care for the littlest ones 5 months to 3 years for up to the 8 week period. I have the two older sisters 9 and 10 years old going home with one of the bus drivers for our elementary school. She was our youth director at our church and the kids all know and love her. She can keep then after school for the time up to Thanksgiving but I may need them to go to the other provider I have lined up for another week just to make sure I don't do too much too soon. I DO have a way of doing that!
I had to extend a personal loan to make up for the income I will be missing. Right now I am scheduled to get back to business on January 12th, 2004. I just moved my computer upstairs so I can get taxes and pictures, etc. burned onto discs and I'm going to inventory my other family pictures and personal items with the scanner if I can without doing any harm. My surgery is in 14 hours!!! I did not sleep at all last night. I am getting up at 7 a.m. to take a nice bath, the last one for six weeks I'm told. Say a little prayer for me and the other sister that is having her procedure tomorrow as well. I'll log back in around Thrusday, I hope. Thanks again for the input and the prayers. In Christs Love, PGMS (I had to add the G because my initials are PMS!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register