Estroven Menopause Test ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Estroven Menopause Test ? Estroven Menopause Test ?

Unread 03-26-2004, 06:22 AM
Estroven Menopause Test ?

Last night on TV I saw an ad for a new product by Estroven- a menopause test that is supposedly 99% accurate in predicting if you are in menopause.

Anyone know anything about it? My doctor had previously told me there was no reliable test you could do becasue hormones fluctuate so much day to day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2004, 07:41 AM

I saw that commercial, too, and would like to take that test. My doctor told me the same thing, yet a few years ago checked my hormones via a blood sample. I don't think the measurements in blood samples are very reliable. My doctor pointed out to me that when her hormones were checked before she got pregnant she showed her as very close to menopause, but she conceived on her first try. I suppose it might have been an anomoly.

The Estroven Menopause Test tests your urine, which I've heard is more reliable. Your urine is tested on two separate days for more reliable testing. Other than that, I don't know much about the test and will wait to hear if others know.

I have heard of saliva testing for hormones that is reliable. I don't know why doctors don't pursue these tests more. So many women have unbalanced hormones and it seems as though this knowledge would greatly help them. Anyone know why doctors don't check this more? Could it be the old cost containment?
Unread 03-26-2004, 09:18 AM

The reason saliva and urine tests aren't used as often is they aren't as reliable as blood tests when looking at types of hormonal levels(ie: free or total). While it is true that hormones fluctuate through out your cycle there are reference norms to put those numbers into that can give you a good idea of where your at. Fluctuations will show up on all 3 types of tests because your body is constantly in flux. It's important to remember that optimal is not the same as within reference ranges. I'll give you an example from my own lab work(blood)

Estrogen level 73 (drawn day 15 of my 28 day cycle)
reference ranges
Follicular phase 24.5 - 195
Midcycle 66.1 - 411
Lutal Phase 40 - 261
postmenopausal <10 - 39.5

When looking at my clearly midcycle estrogen level of 73 you can see that yes it fits into the reference ranges provided by my lab. what this doesn't tell us and I learned through a ton of reading and speaking with my new MD is at age 33 my midcycle estrogen should be in the upper half of this reference range. A level of about 200 or so would help me feel normal instead of fatigued, sore, achy and a ton more issues that went along with low estrogen at my age. Getting a copy of my lab work helped me to pick through and find out what was going on with me and put me on the right path to finding the right doctor to help me with my problems.
I don't mean to sound like a teacher here just wanted to share with you all in a clear manner what I have learned and has changed my life so much. There are a ton of resources out there for us to use to learn what our bodies should be doing,how to know when they are not and what to do when we think we know the answer to the mystery plague of the week.
The biggest problem I faced with all this was finding a MD that took me seriously, wasn't afraid of the knowledge I had and would work as team with me to acheive what I thought to be my goals.
I have found a MD that was thrilled that I took the time to learn, takes me serious and agrees that my healthcare is a partnership. This is a rare MD and I pray that I never have to be without him.

Another peice of information I thought I would share is on Estroven and other OTC products of this sort. They are advertized as natural and this is great what is not said is the estrogens in them are natural to the plant they are derived from. So unless you are a wild yam or a soybean plant the estrogen in them is not the same type your body produces and it may not be able to use it in the manner your hoping for. I could go on for hours about this topic but I'll leave it at that.

Research, Research and more research is my advise to anyone that is looking for truth.
Knowledge is priceless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2004, 09:43 AM

Tralee--

Thanks for the great info!

Why did you have surgery?
Unread 03-26-2004, 10:47 AM
I saw the test at Walgreen's

They have it back by the Pharmacy. Supposed to be a accurate as a pregnancy test, and it's only $20, Heck, I'd give it a try.
Unread 03-26-2004, 10:47 AM

I haven't gotten my path report yet should be available next week. I do know I had fibroids,adhesions and endo. Symptoms were pelvic pain during mensus and very heavy bleeding.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register