First Visit with Gyn | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First Visit with Gyn First Visit with Gyn

Unread 01-04-2005, 01:26 PM
First Visit with Gyn

On Friday I will first meet with the gynecologist. I am getting a little nervous about what decisions and questions I should have for him. i had my vaginal ultrasound before thanksgiving and I am finally getting in.

In the beginning of November 2004, I had my annual (ok it was almost two years) physical check up. I just happened to mention that I was concerned about my "stress incontinence". I had had a bad cough and was so incontinent that it went through the pad and dampened my work chair. I was literally mortified.

As they did the pap smear, the NP made a comment that I should have an ultrasound done that she felt that I had fibroids. So I agreed. When I went to make the appointment they wanted me to have it done that day or the very next. (Hmm!)

Got in that very afternoon, and the vaginal ultrasound took about 75 minutes. It was painful and annoying with that wonderful gel. Then the technician said just wait she wanted to review the results with the doctor.

After being gone for 15 minutes...she came back and said that they wanted me to see a gynecologist that yes I did have multiple fibroids and one was a little over 9 cm.

Most of my rant is not on the NP or the technician but on my past doctors. For years, I have complained that I bled heavily and I was told that it really isn't all that much, it just seems like a lot....Everyone is different.

I mentioned the clots, I was told that was just the uterus shedding part of the wall. Perfectly normal.

I mentioned the pain during intercourse, I was told not to worry... had I tried KY Jelly?

My husband was diagnosed with cancer in 1990 and we stopped having sex back in 1997/8 because of the medications he was on for pain. the lack of sex never bothered me because it hurt.

Now after reading, I feel stupid I never did any research myself on my symptoms and mad that sometimes our complaints are not taken seriously.

So Januuary 7th is my appointment with the gynecologist and we will go over the ultrasound results and discuss the treatment options. I have been lurking for a while and read quite abit and noticed even more of my symptoms. - TIRED, lack of focus, leg pain....

Well I can't blame the NP I have seen for the last 3 years since I never mentioned my symptoms to her (after all I had been told they were normal). But in a way I am glad that there is a specific cause for how I have been feeling. I am hopeful that treatment will help me regain my former self.

So now I want to actually be prepared for this appointment. i can't even express how helpful this website has been for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2005, 04:13 PM
First Visit with Gyn

Hi DieNarrin,

I to have had specific problems over the years that I didn't realize weren't normal and many I didn't realize were related.

For example, the back pain, discomfort with intercourse, frequent urination, stress incontinence, occasional pinching feeling in my vagina, occasional pulling sensation in my abdomen if I stand up to fast, periods coming closer together and lasting longer and crampier etc.

Like you I had been told all these things were normal. My GP even laughed when I told her about having to get up three times a night to pee, "Yep, that's normal as we age" I was told (I'm 42).

I was also told to use lubrication for intercourse, that and more foreplay

So, when I went to see my gyn for dysplasia I told him all was normal because I thought it was.

So, I'm glad I found this website to. Now when I next see my gyn I'll be able to ask more informed questions and tell him more specific info.

Don't feel stupid your not alone. At least we're learning now.

This site is a God send.
Unread 01-05-2005, 11:09 AM
First Visit with Gyn

I am also 42 and despite the "angst" I am happy to know there is a real reason for how I have felt. Here's to hoping that this gyn is helpful. I will be so glad to get rid of all of these symptoms.

I really ranted sounded like I was in a real snit when I wrote that!

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2005, 11:46 AM
First Visit with Gyn

Hi DieNarrin,

I had two large fibroids in pre-op. At the time, I thought they just crept up between my two annual exams.

I got two opinions and both Drs said that there was a "chance" my fibroids were't detected at my annual exam two years ago. They would have been smaller, and from what I have read, fibroids can kind of lurk until they are noticed by a Dr. or on an ultrasound or there are symptoms. Sounds like you had symptoms. I did too, looking back. I had more bladder incontinence, a pelvic pressure started and sex started to hurt. I just chalked it up to getting older at 45. How wrong I was!!

Good luck with your Dr's appointment. The "knowing" about fibroids may be difficult so hang in there.

Best wshes,

Mary
Unread 01-05-2005, 01:27 PM
First Visit with Gyn

Quote:
I really ranted sounded like I was in a real snit when I wrote that!
Just gotta let it all go sometimes

Glad to know your feeling better.

Hope all goes well with your next visit to the gyn.
Unread 01-06-2005, 01:43 AM
First Visit with Gyn

It's good that you are researching your diagnosis and treatment options before committing to surgery. This is a very complicated issue and it's imperative that you understand your own, personal condition and all alternatives before submitting to hysterectomy. Hysterectomy is a permanent, life-altering surgery complete with it's own set of health related issues. Bladder problems and incontinence (just the tip of possible complications) can be just as big a problem after hysterectomy (because of hysterectomy) as before and there is no way of knowing what side of the fence you will be on later. There are no guarantees of pain relief either as you can read from post surgical sisters.

Has your doctor discussed myomectomy with you? Any number, size or type of fibroid can be removed by myomectomy. For more information on this you can go to www.alternativesurgery.com
(By the way, fibroids are quite common, almost always benign and will usually cease to be a problem when you go through menopause.)

There's also a book called "Your Complete Guide to Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal and Hormone Replacement" by Elizabeth Plourde that can give you a good overview on how everything ties in together.

Whatever you decide, just make sure you are making an informed decision. Gather all the information you can before making a decision that can affect the rest of your live, even your expected life span.

Best wishes,
Unread 01-06-2005, 03:58 PM
First Visit with Gyn

I'm glad you're finding this website helpful!

Please click on "Resources" at the top of this page and you'll find all sorts of links to websites which offer information about various conditions and treatments.

I also found it extremely helpful to just take a few hours and browse through books at the local bookstore. I bought a few of them, too....(well, I bought several of them, I must admit )

My only caution to you would be to make sure you get balanced information. There are lots of books and lots of articles out there, and that literature supports *many* different theories from *many* different schools of thought. So read as much as you can.

After you've done your research, you can go to your doctor and ask, "So what do you think of THIS idea?" and your doctor should have an opinion and be able to speak to it. You owe it to yourself to have as much information as you can before making your decision.

Hope this helps.
Unread 01-07-2005, 06:58 AM
First Visit with Gyn

I can't thank everyone enough for all of the opinions and experiences I have read here. The best part of this site is that it is neither pro nor con for any of the treatments.

We all hear of the complications, but we don't think they can happen to us. So hearing about all of the complications really helps me make a good decision. Prior to this site I thought a hysterectomy was a hysterectomy.

I will check in after my appointment. My DH is going with me, at first he didn't want much information, now he is complaining that I am not telling him enough. I think he has more questions than I do!!

Thanks again

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register