Should I ask my dr again before surgery?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I ask my dr again before surgery?? Should I ask my dr again before surgery??

Unread 04-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Should I ask my dr again before surgery??

AT my pre-op and pre-admin I had to list my current meds and well I am on propranolol (for high blood pressure - not very high and headaches/migraines)......I know I had read someone that it thins your blood so I have been worried about that, I asked him if I needed to stop taking it before my surgery and he said no.....but online tonight I found this that is quoted below, so should I asked again just to make?

Quote:
Do not stop taking propranolol without first talking to your doctor. Stopping suddenly may make your condition worse.

If you need to have any type of surgery, you may need to temporarily stop using propranolol. Be sure the surgeon knows ahead of time that you are using propranolol.
I found this too:
  Quote:
Major Surgery

The necessity or desirability of withdrawal of beta-blocking therapy prior to major surgery is controversial. It should be noted, however, that the impaired ability of the heart to respond to reflex adrenergic stimuli in propranolol-treated patients may augment the risks of general anesthesia and surgical procedures.

Propranolol is a competitive inhibitor of beta-receptor agonists, and its effects can be reversed by administration of such agents, e.g., dobutamine or isoproterenol. However, such patients may be subject to protracted severe hypotension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2008, 11:17 PM

Both the hospital and my doctor told me to continue to take my blood pressure medications and my doctor prescribed it for me, so I took it while I was in the hospital after my surgery.
Unread 04-25-2008, 11:19 PM

Thanks! I think I am just being overly paranoid since my surgery date is VERY CLOSE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2008, 11:23 PM

That is perfectly NORMAL....see you are normal! So many questions seem to pop up that weren't answered by our doctors and hospitals, and these are the questions that seem to get stuck in our heads. Good luck, and I hope that makes sense.
Unread 04-25-2008, 11:39 PM

Yeah it seems once you leave the dr's office you have loads of questions that you just FORGOT to ask! Thanks!
Unread 04-25-2008, 11:45 PM

not a problem-we all do it! We are so focused when we see the doctor, we forget everything we want to ask. And other things happen that bring up new questions after we have seen our docs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register