Incision drainage | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Incision drainage Incision drainage

Unread 11-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Incision drainage

I am 8 days post op with hysterectomy...my incision is horizontal and staples were taken out 4 days after surgery. I am over weight so have a little more belly pressure there. After staples were removed tape stitches replaced the staples and was told they would fall off with in the week, I go back to the dr in 3 days, but my concern is now that I am having drainage under the belly where incision has gapped open... have non stick surgical gauze in there that keeps it dry but its still draining pretty good.. has anyone else had this happen....scared and waiting for dr on call to call me back on this situation. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated...

Concerned in Illinois
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2009, 10:36 AM
Re: Incision drainage

(((((hugs)))) i dont have any words of wisdom for you i hope the dr calls back soon! (((((hugs))))
Unread 11-14-2009, 04:47 PM

I just had this happen today, 12 days post op. Had a little bit of drainage this morning, called the exchange and doc said not to worry keep gauze or a pad over it, sounds like a hematoma/old blood. Ok, I can deal with that I go to see the doc on Monday anyway. Then later I stood up and felt my pants were wet, looks like it opened up on the other side(horizontal incision) and drained quite a bit of blood. My swollen belly is actually gone now. I was scared to death called again and still told not to worry unless there is puss or a fever. Also told to try and keep compression on it until I see my doc on Monday. I honestly can't see any holes but obviously they are there, I'm just scared to mess around too much and make anything worse. I really just want to healed and done with this, I need to start chemo in a couple of weeks and if I'm not healed it will delay my chemo.
Has anyone out there had a hematoma that leaked out like this and not had to have wound packing or further surgery?

Summer_Breeze57....I hope it's nothing major. Let us know what you find out from your doc. Take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2009, 07:24 PM

I was told by my dr to go to the ER... they said i had been taking very good care of it..and to stitch it would be bad as that has to drain out. So been keeping it clean as I have no fever. They did take a culture of what was draining from my incision will get that back tues when I see the dr. I was also to let them know if I get any green or yellow drainage. My incision is approx 8 inches across my pubic area and am a little over weight so that don't help the situation either. I do hope yours is on the way to a mend and you can get on with your other treatment, please let me know how you are doing... am so glad to have found this site! Take Care
Unread 11-14-2009, 08:38 PM

Hello ladies, I had a similar experience, my incision drained for almost six weeks. Very heavy at first but slowed down over time and the incision got smaller. They also said it was a hematoma and that it would heal from the inside out, so it takes time. Just keep an eye on it. Good Luck
Unread 11-15-2009, 09:08 AM

Woke up this morning and still have a much flatter belly than before, I was worried it might fill back up with fluid or something. I don't think that can happen after a hematoma but I know it can if it's a seroma. Anyway, there has been no more drainage as of this morning. I'm hoping that the majority of that is over and the incision will now heal. Crossing my fingers anyway. I'll know more tomorrow after seeing the doc.

Thank you for your reply mojo, nice to have someone who's been there to share their experience. It very much helped calm my nerves last night.
summer_breeze...take care and I hope it heals quickly for you too.
Unread 11-16-2009, 07:52 PM

UPDATE: Went to my doc today and he said that the hole is very small, smaller than a Qtip and shows no sign of infection, yay! So he just wants to keep it open and let it drain, he also said to clean it with peroxide a few times a day and keep some gauze or a pad over it. There's very little draining now and I hope that's it and it will close up soon. I can't believe that that little hole let out that much fluid, it was terrifying.
Summer_Breeze.... I hope your doc appointment goes well tomorrow. I'll be thinking about you.
Unread 11-17-2009, 11:52 AM

I am about to go to my dr appointment... still draining pretty good but has lightened in color...just something I have been cleaning a few times daily and placing a non stick gauze pad on it in the crease and hoping it will stop soon. Will see what the dr says today...they did a culture on the drainage in the ER sat...so will find out what was in that drainage...hope all I have to do is keep doing what i have been doing... Took a shower and got ready and feel like I have run a marathon...lol
Unread 11-18-2009, 11:24 PM

I had the exact same thing happen 2 weeks ago. I had been in the hospital for 2 days because I was running a fever (7 days post op TAH BSO) that they couldn't explain. I was discharged and that night i noticed a little drainage. I woke up the next morning and it was like a faucet. I filled several pads. I went to the doc and now I have a nurse that comes to my house daily to put a wick in the wound so it can drain. I haven't had a fever and the fluid is clear, but the would is disgusting. It is healing, but I have a hole in my belly now. It is healing from the inside because now it is less than half the depth of when it started. I can't wait until it heals!!!
Unread 11-18-2009, 11:55 PM

My wound opened up and I am also overweight. Apparently fluid builds up in the fat cells and can open wound up. I get packed 2x daily. Hang in there, this too will pass!!! :-D

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register