Am I nuts??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-09-2003, 09:48 AM
Am I nuts???

Hi all.....
Well, one week and one day to go. So what do I do in the shower yesterday morning? Start thinking of my uterus and ovary! Now, I know I am done having children, and would be whether I have the operation or not. But I got to thinking that the very thing that created and carried my two kids will no longer be a part of me!! Now, I am a very sentimental person....cry at commercials or just the thought of some of them. But never did I think I would be crying over a uterus and ovary! Am I losing it ( my mind I mean)??!! And then I was thinking of all of those on this board who haven't been able to have children before their operation, and starting crying for all of them! These emotions are just too much for me, and I will be glad when it is over. I will be a wreck by the time I go in!! Well, thanks for listening (again)......I look forward to coming here each morning at work.....you are all like my extended family !
Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2003, 10:26 AM
Well, if you're nuts so am I!

Deb, I'm going on five weeks post op from a TAH done on May 7. In the months leading up to my surgery, my family was treated to every emotional outburst under the sun, including the one at the hospital on surgery day. I found out my surgery was going to be delayed by about three hours, and threatened to go out through the window across the roof to escape to freedom in the parking lot! Thank goodness my mom was with me to prevent this!

I'm one of those "never had children" people you mentioned in your post. I'm 46, and somehow I never saw myself having children. I teach, so maybe I get enough of them at work...and these ones you get to give back at the end of the day! I have nieces and nephews, too.

I was emotional for awhile about losing my uterus...it meant goodbye to any chance of having a baby. But I also looked at this as a medical solution to a horrible problem that has kept me off work since December of 2002 with heavy bleeding, pain and incredible fear and anxiety. The hardest part of dealing with the surgery was, quite honestly, handling the weeks of waiting for it to happen...not thinking about not having children.

Your two babies are a gift from God. You do not need a uterus to raise them or love them...it was a very temporary growth tank for them to be formed in, so they could make their way into your life. And think of how much better you will be after the surgery, when you are able to give 100 % of your time/energy after your recovery. That will also be a gift from God...one you can share with your family.

Take care of yourself, Deb, and keep smiling when you can. You'll be in my prayers.

Monica :-))
Unread 06-09-2003, 10:33 AM
You're not nuts...

Hi Deb!
We share the same surgery date and I know what you mean about not being able to have any more kids. You're not nuts - I think everyone goes through this in some way. I also am done having children anyway, but it still was not easy to make this decision.
There are times when I think about not being able to have more kids, and that starts me thinking about all the women who want kids and can't have them. What right do I have to feel this way when I've been blessed with 2 wonderful children? It gets to me at times, but I try to think about how much better things will be after next week and I'm doing this for them as much as for me.

Being a part of this website has helped me sort through a lot of what I'm feeling and I'm very grateful to have all of you to talk to.
::s to everyone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register