3 1/2 weeks and nausea | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 1/2 weeks and nausea 3 1/2 weeks and nausea

Unread 11-30-2009, 10:55 AM
3 1/2 weeks and nausea

I am about 3.5 weeks post op from TAH. For the past 3-4 days I have felt very nauseated and have not had much of an appetite. I haven't thrown up but just feel like it. While I had a few days over the holidays where I felt pretty good - not too much pain - I am now feeling sharp pains in lower pelvic area. I don't know if it is because I did too much during the holidays - walking at Target, laundry, etc. or if something else is wrong. Has anyone else experienced this? I no longer take meds other than 800 mg Ibuprofen but by the evening, they don't really help. I've been using a heating pad but would appreciate suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Re: 3 1/2 weeks and nausea

Hi (((Kimma)))

Increased activity can definitely cause issues. It's always a good idea to discuss new pain with your doctor though. Many women report nausea issues after surgery too. It's tough to say what is causing it though since their are so many things that can cause it. Hope you find relief soon!

Unread 11-30-2009, 07:23 PM

Dear Kimma,
I had my surgery 11/11 and have also felt sick with abdominal pain and swelling in the late evening. I wonder why the doctors don't tell of this in advance. I too was using a heating pad but have switched to ice and it seems to help some. I go for my post op tomorrow and will be asking a ton of questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfware View Post
Dear Kimma,
I had my surgery 11/11 and have also felt sick with abdominal pain and swelling in the late evening. I wonder why the doctors don't tell of this in advance. I too was using a heating pad but have switched to ice and it seems to help some. I go for my post op tomorrow and will be asking a ton of questions.
I will be glad to share any information I find out on Tuesday.
Unread 11-30-2009, 10:21 PM

If it's new, I'd ask your doc. about it. Overdoing can cause new pain, but I don' tknow why the nausea would come about from overdoing, so I'd definitely ask the doc.

Unread 12-01-2009, 07:27 AM

It could also be due to your hormones being a bit off kilter right now. I kept my ovaries and am a bit past the 5 week mark and I still have sudden bouts of nausea, which seem to be tied to my cycle. I started noticing it around 3 weeks as well. I had endo and adeno and before surgery I would end up dry heaving before each period and at mid-cycle. I'd imagine that even if your ovaries were removed that your body is still trying to deal with different hormone levels that aren't the same as what you were used to prior to surgery.

I've also found that eating less whenever I noticed more swelling would help some--less room in the stomach means less to make you uncomfortably full.

You may also want to watch the ibuprofen because that can be hard on the stomach--I was on the same dose as you prior to surgery and I ended up with the worst heartburn that started off as extreme nausea. If your tummy area hurts, you may want to take an antacid about 15 min before the ibuprofen. Just a thought!

I hope you start feeling better soon! Take care.

-Selene
Unread 12-01-2009, 08:52 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I hope this will pass quickly. I go back to the dr on 12/8 but if it lasts for much longer, I may call. I am worried about all the Ibuprofen, but it's too uncomfortable without it.
Unread 12-01-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimma View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I hope this will pass quickly. I go back to the dr on 12/8 but if it lasts for much longer, I may call. I am worried about all the Ibuprofen, but it's too uncomfortable without it.
That was a good point Selene made. I would say to take it with food. It helps a lot. Also, be sure whatever else you're eating is easy on your stomach. I didn't think about what Selene had said, but she's right. It could even result in an ulcer if you're having that much nausea. So you may want to check with doc., because he could have an idea that really helps with it. And IF you feel you may be "overdoing" during the day, that would tie you more to the ibuprofen and having to take it. Don't know if that applies or not.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register