Always Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Always Questions Always Questions

Unread 02-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Always Questions

Hi All I will be four weeks out on Thursday and I am feeling pretty good. Getting out and about. Yesterday I drove for the first time to meet a girlfriend for lunch. It went well. Friday I am going to get a hair cut and new do just to perk me up. I have not done any heavy housework yet and do not feel I can. I help cook sort and fold laundry etc but nothing heavy.
What I am wondering now is I have read on hear where most people seem to notice their internal stitches dislolving. I have not really noticed this yet. Can this be normal or does this mean they are not healing and dissolving as they should.
I see my Doc Monday the 14th and was just reading about some people who had their stitches pulled out and it was verrrry painful. I hope I am not in for this as pain is really not my thing.
Take care all
Grandmaangel4(Doreen)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2005, 10:50 AM
Always Questions

It is all different for everyone. Me, personally, I never saw any stitches pass or had any bleeding after I was home from my hyst, others have.
Unread 02-08-2005, 02:05 PM
Always Questions

I never saw any stitches exiting either. I looked at the opportune times, but nothing. Not a drop of blood through my recovery either.

I was cleared at 8 weeks. I am just assuming that the stitches either dissolved inside of me or there may have been the off chance that the stitches did come out...but I just wasn't paying attention?

This is my experience....there seems to be sisters on both sides. Some see the stitches and some don't.

If you are concerned, you could always call your doc and get his advice.

Best wishes,

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2005, 02:11 PM
Always Questions

You're sounding as though you're making a good recovery so I wouldn't worry about the stitches.
I didn't see any either although according to the gyn/onc he put "hundreds" inside me"
Keep recovering well.

Glenys
Unread 02-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Always Questions

Hi there, I saw a few grey stitches at week 4 and a few more week 7. They were very tiny and it's not normal to actually see them easily or at all.

On my 6 week check up the doctor could still see some stitches. She DID NOT pull them out. She told me to go home and recovery for another 2 1/2 weeks.

Don't worry about it. I'm glad you're doing well!
Maralyn
Unread 02-09-2005, 04:59 AM
Always Questions

Hi Doreen;
It sounds to me like you are doing everything right with your recovery!
Have you had your first check-up yet? I will give you some idea what to expect however, keep in mind we are all different and what may be true for me will not be for you.
Do you have staples in still or were they removed already? I am thinking they were at about 10 days?
The enternal exam is a little uncomfortable but nothing painful. I didn't think it was worse then a normal pap.
The doctor will check your stitches inside and see how you are healing.
I never saw any of my stitches "come out" and I never noticed any in the toilet either. I also had little to no blood and only for about 3 days in the hospital.
Just a suggestion, when you read "scary" things on here always keep in mind that isn't you. It could be painful but then again maybe not.
Let us know how your doctor visit goes.

Take care and best wishes to you!

Sybie
Unread 02-09-2005, 11:51 AM
Always Questions

Hi!

I am 4 weeks today and had my follow up appt 2 days ago on Monday. I asked my doc about not seeing any stitches and he said that was perfectly normal.

He used dissolving stitches and they are absorbed internally by the body. He did an internal exam and said they were already gone! He also pressed lightly on my abdomen and neither that nor the internal exam hurt at all and were over very quickly.

I am cleared to resume all activities except sex and need to wait until 6 wks for that (another 2 weeks for me). He also said I don't need further follow up appts unless menopause symptoms start bothering me (I had ovaries removed) and at 48 years old so far I haven't had any! He said that didn't suprise him because my ovaries looked like they had stopped working awhile ago...

The doc also said I only need to have a pelvic exam with the gyn dept now every 5 years and that my reg general practitioner could handle breast exams and scheduling mammograms, etc.

I'm free!!! ...and very happy!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register