Using Mall Wheelchairs, rent a walker? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Using Mall Wheelchairs, rent a walker? Using Mall Wheelchairs, rent a walker?

Unread 02-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Using Mall Wheelchairs, rent a walker?

I am 3 days post-op from a TAH and still in excruciating pain - absolutely unbearable in fact . I'm still in the hospital though they tried to send me home today. I had to fight to stay in another day.
Anyhow, when I had my c-section years
ago, my husband never hesitated to get the wheelchair from guest services when we'd go the the mall - it made for manageable trips out and something to break up the monotony of my days in bed. I wouldn't leave totally wiped out so I could still function the rest of the day.
Do any of you take advantage of the chairs? That's what they're there for and the biggest impediment is feeling self-conscious! But I'd rather spare my body the agony then do way too much and pay for it later.
Also, the nurses (after 3 days) suggested I use the rolling walker to do my walks up and down the hall. It has made a huge difference - I don't have to walk around like the hunchback! So I suggested that my husband look into renting one from the pharmacy - has anyone else used one?
All of this might sound 'lazy', but when the pain isn't managed, they're definitely helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Re: Using Mall Wheelchairs, rent a walker?

I don't think it sounds lazy at all, I think it sounds quite sensible.
The walkers are not all that expensive-If it's feasable, I'd consider buying one rather than renting it (If your doctor is on board, your insurance might even cover part of it)- that way you don't have to give any thought at all to when it must be returned versus when you're certain you no longer need it- even after several weeks, you could have a bad day that would make the walker desireable.
Unread 02-03-2013, 11:09 PM

I made a huge plan to stay home for weeks after surgery and within minutes of discharge realized that it wasn't possible. My husband has horrible memory problems from TBI and even if I wrote it down he'd still manage to come back with the wrong things. I've had to go to Rite Aid once (Heating packs.. love them) and safeway twice (underestimated how long I'd be eating a soft diet and I'm picky) and used the wheelchairs. I've gotten some dirty looks, but they were few and far between, for the most part people just tried to stay out of my way and let me by. I think it looks obvious I'm suffering some kind of ailment but I think people are startled by seeing someone so young and fit looking riding about so they're curious more than anything. Don't be proud, use those chairs- thats what they are there for!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2013, 11:15 PM

Your doctor can get your insurance company to pay for one.
Since this is temporary, why not buy a used one from the thrift store or Craig's list? Ebay also has such things.
email family members and friends to see if someone has one that you can borrow.
Failing all of that, stay home and rest!

Borrow a motorized one at CVS or Costco for shopping.
The carts at the various stores work as great "walkers."
Unread 02-03-2013, 11:17 PM

I wish I would have used a wheelchair/motorized cart earlier today! !
Unread 02-04-2013, 12:05 AM

My first shopping trip out was to Target. It was just before Christmas and I was in fear of getting bumped into so I used one of the power carts. I had a belly full of staples and was just days out of the hospital. After Target my sister and I went grocery shopping. My sister brought over a cart that had a bench seat to it and I rode there while she pushed me around.

If you need to use the power carts and save your strength.
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt2all View Post
My first shopping trip out was to Target. It was just before Christmas and I was in fear of getting bumped into so I used one of the power carts. I had a belly full of staples and was just days out of the hospital. After Target my sister and I went grocery shopping. My sister brought over a cart that had a bench seat to it and I rode there while she pushed me around.

If you need to use the power carts and save your strength.
Now, that may be too soon. "Days out of the hospital" is very early, and maybe the idea is to get healthy by resting at home.
Unread 02-04-2013, 10:02 AM

Well. .. Walking is good, gets rid of gas, keeps those muscles working... and you should probably be taking it easy for the first few weeks, staying away from ANY unnecessary activities including going to the malls!

I really think you should minimize your outings to "absolutely necessary) ie your post OP follow up. You still run the risk of getting bumped by being out, being in a car where you or driver has to stop suddenly, reaching for things in store, and having to get in and out of car and electric cart or wheelchair.

Err on the side of caution as the saying goes ... So many people just "want to get out" or think "a little drive won't hurt" and end up back in ER or with longer recoveries.

I think a rented walker (often covered by insurance if your doc says its necessary) would definately be the way to start for getting around in your home though!
Unread 02-04-2013, 10:06 AM

Not to mention all of the people and things that can pass on the flu, colds, and viruses.
Unread 02-04-2013, 02:42 PM

I just came home today and the last thing on my mind is getting 'out' - it was an incredible chore to go to my kitchen and make toast! But when I am feeling up to it, I will definitely use the wheelchairs in public and my husband is picking up the rental walker tomorrow. I just wanted to put it out there for people since I know many wouldn't even think to use them
Happy healing everyone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register