New here lupron? and endo | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here lupron? and endo New here lupron? and endo

Unread 07-18-2002, 07:04 PM
New here lupron? and endo

Hello sisters,
I am so glad I found this site. I was just diagnosed with stage four endo and told to get lupron injections for 3 months and then total hysterectomy. Does anyone have information on Lupron? Any ideas? Thanks, Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2002, 08:47 PM

Oh Hi

While you're waiting for replies, try the purple search button at the top of the screen. Do a word search for lupron and you will find a ton of past conversations.

I was told to take it also, but declined after doing research on the net. From what I can gather...either it works for ya or it does not. I do believe it shrinks..i'm referring to the side effects that some can't live with. Others are happy as a clam with it.
And welcome Jeannebear, you will like it here .
Unread 07-18-2002, 09:10 PM

I took it for 3 months to shrink fibroids before surgery. I had minimal side effects - just some heat waves, but some womem have more. If you do decide to take it, take the monthly injections rather than the 3 month one, so if you can't stand the side effects it's only for a month rather than 3 months. I was scared out of my mind to take it, but no big deal really _ at least for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2002, 08:17 PM
I took Lupron

Hi!

I took Lupron injections for two months. It was supposed to do two things for me: 1) stop my excessive bleeding 2) shrink my fibroid.
It did NEITHER. However, the good news is I had NO menapausal side-effects from it either.

I was scared to death to take it after all I read on the internet about it, but it ended up having no effect (that I know of) on me.
One thing that reassured me before the first injection was the nurse telling me that she has given Lupron to hundreds of patients and none of them had and bad reactions.

Best of luck to you!

Kostar
Unread 07-21-2002, 08:28 PM
Welcome Jeanne!

I took Lupron injections for 2 months, the first was May 13, the second June 3 --- they're just now wearing off (and my ovaries are kicking back in). I wasn't getting honest to goodness hot flashes until the week before my hyst --- the 2 weeks after they were very intense, but now they're not as often nor as intense.

My doc just told me, "remember, it's temporary".

I took them because she gave me the option of Lupron or a blood infusion, I was so anemic.

There's a lot of scary info out there, but it seems all the studies were on people who were on it for 6 months or longer.

Take care,
Unread 07-21-2002, 10:51 PM

I've been on Lupron since March. No side effects at all the 1st month and the 2nd I was very uncomfortable and didn't think I would do a 3rd until my dr told me that side effects even out in the 3rd month. I'm glad I listened because that was exactly the case. The mood swings I think were the worst for me overall but I did have some warm flashes, insomnia, headaches, and urethra/bladder discomfort (due to a high concentration of estrogen in those areas). It does help the pain slowly. It is shrinking things for me. I know because my 3rd shot was actually defective for some reason so my 4th one was like starting all over again. My estrogen levels soared and I had a period. It was painful but nowhere near what it was previously. I swore I wouldn't get another shot this time but I reminded myself that I said that in month 2 before. It has been the right decision for me. I will be on Lupron for 7 months total. If you opt for the treatment, I would definitely recommend doing the shot month to month if you can. It helped me feel more in control-like I could stop it at any time. At 1st it does accelerate estrogen production so for up to 2wks or so your symptoms may get worse. That doesn't mean it isn't working. Perhaps your dr can give you something such as progesterone to balance things out in that case.
Anyway, good luck to you. Hope some of this is helpful.
Unread 07-26-2002, 09:14 AM
Do lots of research first!

Be VERY careful with Lupron.

The drug manufacturer itself (on its website) states that your symptoms will return 6-12 months after you stop taking it. It is NOT a cure for endo.

The FDA has only approved it for 6 months of treatment in YOUR ENTIRE LIFE. It's frightening how many doctors ignore the FDA guidlines and put women on it again and again. :hair:

There is a wonderful website on Endo which has lots of stories of women who've tried different things. They discuss Lupron quite a bit. Here's the web address:

http://www.wordplay.org/endometriosis/index.shtml

A little history on Lupron:
It was originally created as a prostate cancer drug for men. Its costs about $600 per dose. Quite a few doctors who prescribe it routinely were recently busted for receiving kickbacks from the drug manufacturer.

Some people love it (as a temporary fix). Most I've read about hated it.

Obviously, you have to do what's right for you. Good luck with your decision.
Unread 07-26-2002, 11:35 PM

I have only been on Lupron for two weeks - the first week was awful - I got my period, so I was menopausal and on the rag - the worst kind of woman to be around!! My poor husband!!! This week has been better - although I still cry like a baby at every little thing, and then get irritable the next. Again - my poor hubby!
I got some hot flashes almost right away, but now I just seem to be warmer than normal all the time - I've pretty much gotten used to it - I sleep with the fan directly on me all night. the one thing that I really hate though - I can't sleep well at all, hence the time I'm posting - 2:28 AM!!
Lupron for me, was just to find out if I still had the pain while on it - if so, I could keep my ovaries - if not, then the pain was probably caused or helped along by the ovaries, hence, needing them out. The good news is, I don't have to have them out. the very bad news is, I am having pain -alot of it.
Only a mon th to go though!!
Unread 07-27-2002, 05:34 AM

I did the three shots of Lupron. I read all the negativity and still decided to give it a try. Just really tired of passing small farm animals(clots), being tired(crit 06.8). I ended up having my shots at 2 weeks apart for the first 2 because even more bleeding , than the third at month later. I finally did stop bleeding. The flashes weren't bad. The mood swings I learned to enjoy... I know strange...but my family understood. Tried to keep it all in check with celexa and xanax which I was already doing.
Results a total TVH on 7/01. Best thing I ever did!!!!!!
Cheryl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register