Freaking over the vag cuff - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Freaking over the vag cuff Freaking over the vag cuff

Unread 01-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Re: Freaking over the vag cuff

Dear sister-
I had my surgery on Dec 12th and had my cervix removed with a vaginal cuff- so far I haven't noticed anything different. Not sure about the sex yet but if you have questions you should call your dr so you are comfortable going into surgery. Don't ever feel bad to call and communicate with your Dr. Good luck to you and our prayers are with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2014, 09:39 AM

Ok I am still freaking out after the cuff. I understand what it is but I'm totally grossed out by the notion of my folded over sewn up tube that's no longer connected to anything. I can't imagine ever using it for anything and will probably need therapy or something to deal with the thing. I can't imagine having intimacy with it especially vigorously with someone big. It seems there is nothing to keep it from popping open on the end or pulling inside out or maybe worse if it's not used, simply drying up and falling out

I am in my 7th week after TAH with staging so I'm dealing with a lot of more pressing issues and still just trying to rest and heal up in general but this one I'm worried will haunt me down the road.
Unread 01-14-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechLauren View Post
Ok I am still freaking out after the cuff. I understand what it is but I'm totally grossed out by the notion of my folded over sewn up tube that's no longer connected to anything. I can't imagine ever using it for anything and will probably need therapy or something to deal with the thing. I can't imagine having intimacy with it especially vigorously with someone big. It seems there is nothing to keep it from popping open on the end or pulling inside out or maybe worse if it's not used, simply drying up and falling out

I am in my 7th week after TAH with staging so I'm dealing with a lot of more pressing issues and still just trying to rest and heal up in general but this one I'm worried will haunt me down the road.
I don't think any of us are very enthusiastic about having the end of our vagina folded over and sewn shut. I understand exactly what you're saying about maybe needing therapy and not being able to imagine having intimacy. I was sure my DH would never find me sexy again and not want me anymore. But the truth is: men don't care. My DH says he thinks men find the hysterectomy more of a turn on because there are no worries for them in regards to us bleeding or getting pregnant. I don't know how much I buy that....

I seriously try not to think about it. The end tearing open is very rare. The end of the vagina is suspended by the ligaments that used to hold the uterus, so it won't fall out. It's perfectly normal to worry about these things, but as you heal and resume sex (gently at first) your confidence will grow.

I thought for sure I would feel mentally and emotionally different after my surgery. But I don't. I feel physically different but otherwise I am still me. These are concepts we just need to work through and we each do it in our own time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandspice View Post
The end of the vagina is suspended by the ligaments that used to hold the uterus, so it won't fall out.
Wow thank you! That is really helpful because I asked the surgeon what the deal was with it and he said it was suspended but I pictured it floating in there like a balloon. I feel loads better knowing it is attached to something!

It was a such a huge concern of mine it was actually one of four questions I wrote to ask about.

I'm so relieved it's attached to something! The guy should have explained that better. I've been so freaked out over it.
Unread 01-14-2014, 02:10 PM

I must have asked my surgeon 3 times what would be at the end of my vagina and how it would stay in place and he always gave me vague answers. I don't know why, it's not like it's a secret!

I had to come here to find out what was going to happen in my surgery. Try not to worry, you will be fine, just make sure you 1) follow all your doctor's restrictions to the letter post op. 2) wait until you're cleared by your doctor for sex before you resume intercourse 3) Resume intercourse very gently and slowly for the first while and use lube (even if you don't need it) 4) do pelvic floor exercises (kegels) every day to keep everything strong down there.
Unread 01-18-2014, 06:13 PM

I am now 5 days post op. I have no idea the vaginal cuff is there. I do worry about it falling out or bleeding. But so far it's been fine.
Unread 01-18-2014, 06:24 PM

We need to go at this day by day thx for your reply! Easy does it
Unread 01-19-2014, 06:43 PM

I had no idea what a vaginal cuff was until I read this... My cervix and uterus was removed, so I guess I have one. Thanks for posting
Unread 01-19-2014, 08:28 PM

I think the cuff is a big reason we aren't suppose to pick up anything over 5 lbs for awhile. It could cause strain and pop the stitches.
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandspice View Post

I must have asked my surgeon 3 times what would be at the end of my vagina and how it would stay in place and he always gave me vague answers. I don't know why, it's not like it's a secret!

I had to come here to find out what was going to happen in my surgery. Try not to worry, you will be fine, just make sure you 1) follow all your doctor's restrictions to the letter post op. 2) wait until you're cleared by your doctor for sex before you resume intercourse 3) Resume intercourse very gently and slowly for the first while and use lube (even if you don't need it) 4) do pelvic floor exercises (kegels) every day to keep everything strong down there.
anyone have a suggestion for a good lube to use? Everyone we have tried has made me itch, get a rash, and/or bv!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register