Has anyone opted for abdominal open hysterectomy over lap? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone opted for abdominal open hysterectomy over lap? Has anyone opted for abdominal open hysterectomy over lap?

Unread 12-01-2014, 09:29 AM
Has anyone opted for abdominal open hysterectomy over lap?

I am so worried about sexual function- I know I don't want my vagina stretched, cut, or otherwise rearranged, and reading about the possible complications of laparascopic- nerve damage, bladder problems etc, I'm just wondering if it might be worth the long recovery to minimize the potential complications to my sex life.

I already have a bikini/c-section scar from a myomectomy 20 years ago..

I know complications are not the norm, but I really like my sexy time, and couldn't imagine it being diminished.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Re: Has anyone opted for abd/open over lap?

I understand your concerns about sexual function damage. I found all the generic literature says something like "women often report improved sex-life" without pain, periods or fear of getting pregnant. This to me is patronizing, and does not present all of the facts. I loved the section on the legal release about one of the problems that could occur is your vagina being too short.

In researching, I found that mostly this points back to one study that surveyed women and reported more said improvement, than not. However, this study included those that had pain during intercourse due to their problems, so of course theirs improved. There are plenty of reported problems, though, too.

I have to have an open due to a huge uterus and fibroids, and the fact that I don't want morcellation, so this wasn't a decision that I had to face. It just seems logical that it will be easier to see what's going on in there; however, I think experienced laproscopic surgeons avoid the problems you are concerned about, too. If I had the option, I would do mine laproscopically, but only with a very experienced surgeon, AND I would insist on keeping my cervix (unless there was a medical reason that this wasn't possible).

Please do your research about keeping your cervix, though---as I found there is information and research showing that this can reduce the risk of sexual (and other) problems. And hey, if they don't cut off the top of your vagina and make a "cuff" complete with scar tissue on the top (as in a total), then there is little likelihood of it being too short!
Unread 12-01-2014, 10:33 AM
Re: Has anyone opted for abd/open over lap?

Hi. I oppted for the Open vs Laparscopic.

I was more concerned about if for some reason it didn't fit out my vag. then they would have to cut it up and get it out.. I wanted my uterus to come out whole in one piece. and the only sure fire way of that is the open precedure.

I too had a previous c section scar and she went in the same one. Honest the recovery was not too bad. My incision this time leaked a bit after she took out the staples.. I was concerned, but that healed right up after day 9...

I did end up getting a blood clot in my lung day 9 (went to the DR day 10) that was a little concerning and am now on blood thinners.. But I guess that is a complication that can occur with either procedure. (and YES I was up and around very quickly not laying in bed at all) so this compllication was not one that the DR thought I would even have because I was so mobile.

Otherwise all is good and I am 4 weeks post op and getting around fine. still tender in the stomach area, but good...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register