Can Yo Feel A Polyp? What About More Appearing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can Yo Feel A Polyp? What About More Appearing? Can Yo Feel A Polyp? What About More Appearing?

Unread 05-31-2003, 03:10 PM
Can Yo Feel A Polyp? What About More Appearing?

Hi again.
well..... where to start.
first - I've read on many internet sites that a woman can not feel if she has a polyp on her cervix.
Personally I think (?) that I can feel mine.
At first, when the doctor explained that a polyp was like a skin tag, I was thinking of something very small, like the skin tags you sometimes see on people's faces near their eyes.... a mm or so in width and maybe 2 mm in length.....

well, from what I can figure, a polyp on the cervix is (can be) more like a little grape - so why wouldn't you be able to feel it, if you know what your cervix normally feels like???

So: question 1: can we possibly feel a polyp, has anyone, and does anyone know where I can find a decent picture or image of a cervical (?) polyp?

secondly : has any one had one removed?? I have heard this is a procedure that can be done in the doctor's office rather than the hospital

thirdly: does anyone have experience with having more polyps appear after one has been removed????

I am trying to make a decision related to a hyster, and am trying to figure out whether I will keep the cervix or not.
I am leaning to "not", because "maybe" I can have a vaginal hyster......

any replies will be very much appreciated.
thank you
Cheryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2003, 03:19 PM

((((((Cas)))))))))

Here is a web site about cervical polyps.

I don't know if it has pictures. I will search some more, if I find one with pics i will post it too.

http://www.1uphealth.com/health/cerv...lyps_info.html

Pamcat
Unread 05-31-2003, 03:26 PM

((((((((Cas)))))))))))

Here is one with pictures. just click on the thumbnail pic to enlarge it.

http://health.yahoo.com/health/encyc...001494/tn.html

Pamcat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2003, 03:35 PM
thanks Pamcat

how did you find them so quickly!???
thank you.
that certainly helps clarifies things in my mind.

Cheryl
Unread 05-31-2003, 03:35 PM

Hi Cas

I had a polyp years ago that caused me problems it was in my birth canal as the gyn called it. The gyn told me normally you will not know you have them but due to this one being in my birth canal I was having contractions all the time which was my body trying to get rid of it.

I guess everyone is different in what they feel and what they don't.

Good luck in finding out more information
Unread 05-31-2003, 04:34 PM

Hi! I had a polyp on my cervix and did not feel it. The gyn removed it in his office. It was probably the size of a grape. It didn't hurt at all when he removed it. He said they are almost never cancerous but sent it for a biopsy just to be sure. I was never quite sure why it needed to be removed when I was going in for a hyst a couple of week after that, but he removed it anyway.

Peggy
Unread 06-01-2003, 03:11 AM
Hmmm..

Well, I don't know many answers to your questions, but I can pass along what happened to my mom JFYI... She had polyps in her utty and her's were the kind that were filled with blood ( I don't know if they are all like that or not) but, it caused her alot of pain and caused her utty to tilt ( and the quack she went to when it started told her to stand on her head~ I am NOT kidding here... She was like, " Sure... When it starts feeling that way, I will just tell my 3rd graders to hang on a sec while I stand on my head in the middle of the classroom!!"){she switched docs ASAP needless to say} But, they tried at first to DC the polyps but they came back with a vengence... She had enough of it and had a hyster and hasn't had a problem with anything like that since. Unfortunately when her utty tilted, her bladder fell too. She said they wanted her to "tack" it up, but later was told it would be better if it was "craddled" instead. Her doc said without the utty in there, she might not need that done and he said because of her age ( 56) he would recommend it not be done at the same time. ( she had that whole cough too hard, laugh too hard, pee on yourself thing going~ which I have going on now too) She said that since her surg, she hasn't had any more problems with that so... The doc told her that her polyp was the size of a cantalop.... wow... <shrug> I hope that your's aren't like that. She said she didn't feel them persay, just that she felt like she was in the early stages of pregnancy due to the bloating her her tummy. SHe is a tall thin woman, and it did look like she was about 5 months pregnant! Not anymore thank goodness! Good luck with your polyps!~
Unread 06-10-2003, 12:10 PM
thank you - I've made my decision

Hello ladies,
first of all, thank you all for taking the time to reply to my question.
and now..... my big news: I've made the decision and had a chat with my Dr. today. I'm going to try for a TVH, and if it doesn't work, we'll go to a TAH - so the cervix is going.
I think there are pros and cons and doubts for every decision, but I believe that for me this is the right choice.
I meet with the dr. on 24th to discuss all the details and I think the surgery will be mid July.

thanks again for your support.
Cheryl
Unread 06-13-2003, 10:59 PM

Hi Cheryl - just saw your message tonight and thought I'd share my story. I've dealt with uterine polyps for the last six months. Last November (2002), I passed a series of polys very unexpectantly when I was using the bathroom. I thought I was having a BM, but out comes all these small, white and pink little balls, some bigger, about the size of about half a baseball! Boy, was I shocked. There was no pain, cramping, discomfort at all. It totally freaked me out as I was away from home AND at a park. I did have some bleeding, but very little, spotting mostly. About six hours later, the same thing happened, and again about 12 hours later. Since it was Saturday, I had the long wait to get in to see by GYN on Monday. IN the meantime I had nightmares about miscarriages and thought I was actually passing body parts. My GYN immediately scheduled a D&C to see what was going on which proved to be polyps. I had a lot of bleeding after the D&C, so was put on premera and I was OK for the next two months. At three months I was spotting again, my GYN said to watch it, and within another two months I was bleeding all the time, terrible periods, wiped out tired (I teach kindergarten so am really busy all day long), had another D&C and my uterus was completely full of polyps again! I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT! My lab work also showed cellls starting to change, the stage before precancer, so that was it for me, I have a hysterectomy scheduled for June 27th. At first it was hard to decide and I somehow felt like I was betraying the female lineage, but since children are way out of the quesiton (I'm 45), I just want to get through it. I know I cannot go through another year like I've had. My DR was so great about giving me all the choices. She did not push the hyster at all. She told me I could wait and I could probably get another 6-12 months, but definitely the polyps would grow back, especially since I'd had so much growth in six month already. And, with the cells changing, it was only a matter of time before things turned to precaner and of course there's no more waiting at that point. So, since it was WHEN and not IF for me, I wanted to get over with it. I am keeping my ovaries and cervix and hope to have a vaginal hyster, so I'll hopefully be up and around sooner. Hope this helps. Cathy
Unread 06-15-2003, 02:28 AM
Good Luck!

I am happy you have made a decision. I know that, or at least it was for me, part of the hardest thing to do. I know that you are tired of hurting, I know I am, and I know that you will do whatever you have to do to make yourself feel better. Good luck with your surg. and I hope that everything works well for you. Good luck with it all, and you'll be in everyone's thoughts here in cyberspace. God bless as well as blessed be.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register