just got the news | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

just got the news just got the news

Unread 04-18-2002, 10:41 AM
just got the news

Hi everyone-

I'm new to the board and have so many question I don't know which to ask first. I am scheduled to have a TAH/BSO on April 30, 2002. I am 33 years old and have a wonderful family.
However, after receiving confirmation that my uterus has fallen and the only hope of true relief is to have the surgery, I am wondering now after all the tears of pain, is the pain bad enough to put my body through this? Are these normal thoughts?
I know that my life is not the same as it was several years ago, I could run with the kids and play with no pain, no fatigue, there is no way I can attempt to do this now. Please someone tell me that this is normal to second guess yourself.

thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 10:53 AM
Welcome Lori

Yes you are having the normal thoughts. We all have second thoughts about this surgery and why shouldn't we it is major surgery after all. I had put mine off so long that I had no choice and I feel so much better. I have no pain for the first time in 40 years. All women are different and each surgery is different, but the similiar things are such that you will be able to find and read about this surgery from just about every angle. Go up to the top and use the pull down menu and it will take you where you want to go. Quality of life is very important so that is what I kept telling myself. God Bless.
Unread 04-18-2002, 11:17 AM
2nd opinion

Hi, lolo! Welcome to HysterSisters! I second-guessed my decision to have a hyst, too, and now I'm so glad I had it. I feel great almost 10 months later. However, it really is a good idea to have a second opinion from another dr to confirm that this is the best option for you. You want to be sure that this major surgery and long recovery will be worth it for you. s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 11:54 AM
just got the news

I'm sure many second guess it. But 6 months later, I would do it again in a minute!
Unread 04-18-2002, 12:00 PM
just got the news

LOLO,
Hi! We have the same surgery date and the same worries! I also have two kids, I am going to be 28 next week and I'm scheduled for a TAH on 4/30. I know when my doctor and I talked about this surgery we talked alot about "quality of life". My kids are still young 4&7 and I can't do the things I want to with them. That had a great impact on my decision. I had a hard time trying to justify my decision to my family and friends because of my age! I told them I am too young to feel this old and run-down! Good luck with everything and I hope things go well for us on the 30th!

TaraLee

TAH 4/30/02 for endo, fibroids and possible adeno(hoping to keep at least the right ovary)
Unread 04-18-2002, 12:04 PM
just got the news

Doing things with our kids makes a big difference. Before surgery, I was overweight and couldn't "play" with the kids. Now, 6 months post-op, I've lost most of the weight and can even jump on the trampoline with my kids now! Instead of feeling old and frumpy, I'm feeling young and alive. It is a major improvement in my quality of life.
Unread 04-18-2002, 01:11 PM
just got the news

I can't speak for anyone else, but I had a tvh with bladder sling and rectal repairs on 2/25/02. I had been prolapsed for 9 years (since the birth of my youngest son) and never intended to have a hysterectomy. I avoided it everytime I went for my annual. This last Sept. the pain and pressure became unbearable. I could not sneeze or cough without flexing every muscle I had so I would not wet myself. Sex was painful and I always had the feeling I had to urinate. I had a period every other week. Everytime I would feel a little better for a day or two I would question my decision, but all the invasive tests and long wait for the surgery made me stick to my decision. I am now almost 8 weeks post op and I can't tell you how good I feel. I thought everybody lived with some pain and pressure. I actually told myself that I was making a big deal out of nothing, that maybe I was making excuses and I had just lost my sex drive.

Now I am just so thankful that I had the surgery and all went well. There is no pain or pressure (still twinges from the stitches), but nothing compared to before. At 6 weeks we were cleared for sex and I expected the worst. It was wonderful. No pain, no pressure, we didn't need to stop so I could run to the bathroom!! All I can say is that if you do decide you are going to do it, be sure to have a plan in place to take care of yourself afterwards. Make the commitment that you will not do laundry, vacuum, or anyother work until you are cleared by your DR. DO NOT push your recovery. It is really not very long but you have 1 chance to heal and it is soooo worth it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register